Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
How did you learn mechanics? (Read 347 times)
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
How did you learn mechanics?
05/14/17 at 11:27:57

Attempting to teach myself mechanics at middle-age often seems overwhelming, and certainly humbling. I'm just curious how you guys learned this stuff?

Did most of you start as teenagers, often times learning from your fathers or other family members - is that a reasonable guess?

Has anyone taught themselves alone, from books (or the internet, as the modern age would have it)?

US Navy (99-03). Novice, self-taught mechanic. 2003 Savage with 44k miles. 2015 S-40 with 5k miles.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: How did you learn mechanics?
Reply #1 - 05/14/17 at 12:17:40

Started with bicycles then first mini bike at 12 then motorcycles at 15 and now I'm a diesel mecanik for the last 26 years.
Lots of info here and very talented people to help, so don't hesitate to ask questions that's why we are all here !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #2 - 05/14/17 at 12:58:03

Andy, I've also started to learn about engines and mechanical work with my first bike at age 47. It IS daunting!

I've discovered a few things over the last few months: you gotta have  some decent tools ( I buy then as I need them), ya need a place to work ( i don't have a great place to work but it's something at least), and ya need to be patient.

It would also be great to have a bike to work on that isn't your daily ride so you can lay it up for a while, and also keep riding. I'm working on that one!

I've swapped the muffler, moved the turn signals, and re-jetted and cleaned the carb so far, but I haven't been game to get into the engine yet - the bike runs great, so I don't really need to. I need a project bike for that  Smiley It doesn't sound like much but it's leaps and bounds for me ... It's great to at least have learned what questions to ask  Wink

This site is a rare resource, the people here are experienced, enthusiastic, and generous.

I also have a couple of mechanic friends who are happy to help me if I get stuck - that makes a big difference.

But yeah ... patience  Cool

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/14/17 at 13:33:25

My first training was at maybe 12 yrs old from a neighbor who operated a mechanical shop in town and also owned a farm.  He knew a lot of tricks and short cuts.  By my mid teens I was picking up a lot from other kids.  At 18 I got a factory job and they taught me fabricating, welding and some machining.  Later, in college, a roommate who grew up on a farm and I learned from each other, exchanging information while we worked on various projects.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
v-pilot

Loud bikes rule!

Rexford NY
Reply #4 - 05/14/17 at 16:55:08

Learned it all from my Dad when he was still with us.  After that school of youtube in absence of a manual

Suzuki DR650, aprilia RSVR, aprilia Falco, Bimota DB4(2x)
Moto Guzzi V10, Ducati 900ss, Triumph Trident, Suzuki LS650
Moto Guzzi Le Mans SE(2x), Moto Guzzi V50, Benelli 250, Ducati 250
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 05/14/17 at 16:57:28

I disassembled every piece of junk or mechanical toy I could get a hold of. Always had a knack for starting mowers and such.
It's good to have a new something to learn.
It's better to fight a leak tomorrow than a stripped thread or twisted off bolt.
The oil drain plug Can be too tight. Don't.
Antisieze is your friend. Get some.
Will you screw up? Maybe. But unless you destroy the engine, oil filter backwards, drop a valve, whatever, you'll save money and ride a lot more buying tools than paying someone to do your maintenance.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Hamman
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/14/17 at 17:56:23

Hands on training from my pops who was always wrenching and fixing crap. After high school I went to MMI (Motorcycle Mechanics Institute) in Phoenix, AZ and became Honda/Kawasaki/Yamaha certified. Then did off site training from my employer to become master cert'd. Now, just hands on and learning more than I ever have from school. All the technical stuff they don't teach you, like Carb Sync's believe it or not! I was always timid at MMI to do any of the motor tasks but now I don't even think about breaking down a 4 cyl. to the case halves and replacing tranny's.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 05/14/17 at 18:07:24

Andy ,there's no reason you can't learn how to maintain this bike ,learning is a combination of research and hands on . read about the repairs you need to make on the bike ,on this site . Ask about anything you don't understand ,then proceed to do it .When you take a bike to be repaired the cost of labor will be around twice the cost of parts,this means that you could ruin all the parts you buy by trying to make a repair ,repurchase them all and make the repair ,and still have done it yourself more cheaply,and have learned along the way.This a basic bike and affords a place to learn the skills you need.we're here to help.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 05/14/17 at 18:36:04

I started by working on my motocross bike when I was in junior high.  It was mostly just maintenance like oil changes and filter cleaning, and taking it apart to clean and lube things.  When I was a junior in high school I worked at a Kawasaki dealer after school - I took motorcycles out of the shipping crates and assembled them, and put in the fluids and got them running and took them for a test ride.  It was a great job....as I got to test ride the new 900 Z-1 and all the Kawasaki triples....250, 350, 500, 750!  Then when I was a senior in high school I got a job working at a shop that sold and serviced lawn mower, lawn tractors and chainsaws....I learned a lot from the fellow that owned it.  I worked there through my senior year and when I first started college.  The fellow that owned it retired and sold the shop to a Suzuki/Ossa motorcycle dealer....they sold all the lawn stuff and motorcycles as well.  Then when I went to college I spent a lot of my spare time with my uncle restoring antique cars.  Working on mechanical things and building stuff has always been my hobby.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 05/14/17 at 18:54:23

And Nobody could work on anything without me
Holding the light.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #10 - 05/14/17 at 19:35:31

Andy , All these talented people are all at different levels & specilties of expertise but we all have one thing in common. None of us were born mechanics we all had to learn our skills. It is true that some are naturally more mechanically inclined than others but it ain't rocket science and givin time you will learn it too. Be bold , ask stupid questions we will answer them ! If JOG can do it so can you  Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #11 - 05/14/17 at 21:27:17

The oil drain plug Can be too tight. Don't.

Yea ,  so if the motor is warm then the aluminum hole is expanded the steel plug is not.   You tighten the steel into the aluminum then when they both get to the same temp , the plug (steel) is way too tight.   Aluminum expands more than steel anyway.

Dad raced cars for a hobby , so while my buddies were out playing , I was handing Dad wrenches and doing mechanics helper stuff.   I used to hate it ... but , it worked out good for me !

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #12 - 05/14/17 at 22:30:10

It's really encouraging to hear all these stories  Smiley

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #13 - 05/14/17 at 22:37:29

Dave wrote on 05/14/17 at 18:36:04:
I started by working on my motocross bike when I was in junior high.  It was mostly just maintenance like oil changes and filter cleaning, and taking it apart to clean and lube things.  When I was a junior in high school I worked at a Kawasaki dealer after school - I took motorcycles out of the shipping crates and assembled them, and put in the fluids and got them running and took them for a test ride.  It was a great job....as I got to test ride the new 900 Z-1 and all the Kawasaki triples....250, 350, 500, 750!  Then when I was a senior in high school I got a job working at a shop that sold and serviced lawn mower, lawn tractors and chainsaws....I learned a lot from the fellow that owned it.  I worked there through my senior year and when I first started college.  The fellow that owned it retired and sold the shop to a Suzuki/Ossa motorcycle dealer....they sold all the lawn stuff and motorcycles as well.  Then when I went to college I spent a lot of my spare time with my uncle restoring antique cars.  Working on mechanical things and building stuff has always been my hobby.

Thanks for sharing that Dave! A few months ago I got a job at the local mower shop, working in the showroom. We do mowers chainsaws and dirt bikes. The guys are really interested in teaching me whatever I want to know and they don't mind running things on the lathe for me or letting me use their tools and the workshop. I have learned heaps already.

I got the job because I was asking some advice about jetting the carb on the S40. I asked the guy if he was hiring ... he was!

It's a complete change of work for me, and there is not much work around here, other than cafe's and hospitality. I've never enjoyed getting up and going to work so much ☺

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 05/15/17 at 03:30:44

IslandRoad

Lawn mower and chainsaw experience will keep you employed if you climate is anything like ours.  When spring arrives everyone finds out their mower won't start......and the repair shops get swamped with work.  Chainsaws sit neglected on the shelves for years, and then the owner find out it won't run either!

The work can be pretty seasonal however.....winters can be really slow unless folks are using chainsaws and snowblowers.

The fellow I worked for taught me a lot, and in the winter when things go slow he rebuilt Ford Model A, B and Flathead engines for folks.  (I got to do the greasy cleanup and then take them apart).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 16:23:18

General CategoryThe Cafe › How did you learn mechanics?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.