Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12
Send Topic Print
Dragon Ride No. 2......Planning Thread (Read 1497 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Dragon Ride No. 2......Planning Thread
Reply #30 - 07/26/14 at 13:30:31

Oldfellor.....Sorry you decided you don't want to come to the Dragon Inn after all.  We are going to have fun.

This 2nd event always was going to be an event at the Dragon.  Going back to some of the early posts:

MM Ranch said:  So ... Dave.  How about we all (Who can) meet you at the at the Dragon to claim the prize ?   Huh
And of course get a Dragon run or two in !  Wink

Dave responded:  Hey.....I am up for it.  The Dragon is about a 5 hour drive for me, and I am starting to believe I should go a couple of time a year!

Oldfellor responded:  If you can give me enough lead time to schedule vacation, I will go the third for a Dragon lodge hotel room with AC/shower/beds.  In other words, pick a set of dates.

And so it went for a while.  MM and I got a lot of wet weather riding in on the trip to the Blue Ridge Campground, and I am ready for some dry weather riding.  I would really not want to commit to a hotel room that I can't cancel if the weather is bad - if it is raining I am going to delay the trip a week...or just go home and come back another day.

Anyone that wants to come ride the Dragon with arrival on the evening of August 28, ride the 29 & 30, and go home on the 31 is welcome to come.  You can bring any kind of bike.  Even if you want to go on August 23rd....and watch the 50cc races in the parking lot....I could be talked into going.

Oldfellor:  If you want to schedule a weekend for MM and I to go riding with you, pick a place and some dates......we both can get weekends off pretty easily.

Dave  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #31 - 07/26/14 at 16:24:27

Retirement Life is Good !  Wink  I wish it on all-of-ya'll.

I have a few things I have/want to do ; but most of them are flexible and not very strenuous.

Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #32 - 07/26/14 at 18:02:56

I was really trying to figure out a way for me to get to this one but it doesn't look good. I'd have to take a week off work and then drive 18 hours each way for a weekend get together. I'm not saying it wouldn't be a good time but it's a lot of time and money for a long weekend. Maybe next year I'll be able to make it work.

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #33 - 07/26/14 at 18:23:08

Al:

We are looking for a place to go in the summer of 2015.....got any good riding areas up there for us?

Dave

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #34 - 07/27/14 at 04:44:28

yeah we have some good mountain roads. Also some nice rides along the coast but there is usually a lot of traffic. From where I live, I can be at the ocean (along the Maine coast) in about 25 minutes or the mountains in about an hour. I've never been riding up north in Maine but I would assume there is  some nice riding up there with a lot less traffic. Probably less traffic in Vermont too which is about 1-1/2 hours from here. I'll can do some research.

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #35 - 07/27/14 at 11:56:26

As I told you, I was feeling petty that day.

My joints were hurting good too .... so it made me both peevish and petty.    

A bad combination of the moronic P's, to be sure.

"No need to be doing both on the same day", I thought, so I took my drugs, indulged the petty a little bit until the joint pain eased off, then I could drop the peevish part, then a couple of days of not thinking about the Dragon Lodge at all eased off on the petty as well.

HOWEVER, it did give me a perspective to understand Big Zuk a little bit better, as his pain was 5x what I have to deal with and I don't think his ever completely went away, really.

So, being all un-pained, un-peevish and not feeling particularly petty I too can go camp out at the Dragon Lodge.

I do agree with Al though, all the hours of driving is a bit much for just a quick 2 day trip, so I may come up a couple of days earlier and make the trip a little longer on the front end of it.

==================

OK, MM   Think of a bed roll across the back of my bike behind the sissy bar, and me rolling along from place to place with you.

We need to show up at the Dragon on a Friday (which one, btw?) to meet up with Dave.   This gives us some before days to do a little exploring in.

So, what all else do you want to go explore in the before segment?

You want to do a one day explore or a two day explore?

===========================

Al, you used to take a day and stop in the Virginia mountains because there was something up there that was worth you repeatedly stopping up there.  
You did it like 3 times that I can remember.

What was it?

Mebbe MM and/or I could meet you up there in Virginia at that something that you know is good and then we could detour a bit and check out West Virginia some on the way down to the Dragon.    This might cut your long weekend trip down to size some.

We could check out the Boone ski resort areas as well.

MM knows the "explore" format, we might jest camp out in a hotel room some if weather or achy joints say so.    Or not if the weather is good.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #36 - 07/27/14 at 12:30:54

Oldfellor:

That is great.....I was feeling bad that you were not going to come along.  Since MM has an event on the 23rd, we are going for the arrival on the evening of the 28th, riding on the following days.

I am hauling my bike in the enclosed trailer, and will most likely set up my bed inside as long as I can get the trailer somewhere near the campground.  Since I am bringing a car - I can haul an extra bedroll mattress pad, etc. if you need one, and I can bring a tent as well.  If you are riding on your bike - let me do the heavy hauling in the car.

What happens if the weather turns out really crappy - can you move a vacation request a week farther back with short notice - or are you locked in? If you are locked in and the weather forecast is grim.....the Honda will most likely be making a debut at the Dragon.

Dave    

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #37 - 07/27/14 at 12:41:36

Picking up Dave's  "Perty Bike of the Week" award ? (any excuse is better than none !  Wink

Friday the 29th of Aug is a good date

CMA Tn. State Meeting is Aug. 22nd -24th.

The weeks early in Aug are OK (I think Huh)

I was planning on bringing a tent and sleeping bag.   I was picturing a tent with a cot in the middle of it with OldFeller snoring away .    But come to think of it ....
The tent floor is 7'x7',head space is about 4'   so .... a cot ought to fit going sideways ???   (if so we could split a tent.)   As in I'll bring tent and sleeping bag , and you (OldFeller) bring a cot and sleeping bag.

???

I'm going to set one of the tents up and try a cot in it now ... get back with ya latter . Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #38 - 07/27/14 at 15:32:51

August 28th is a Thursday,

...  so Dave is saying we show up at the Dragon campground on Thursday August the 28th.

Yes, I can do that.

MM, if you want to go exploring anywhere in advance of the 28th you got to say so now so I can put in for the extra days, then you gotta say were we are going exploring.

Al, if you want us to explore up in Virginia so you can meet up with us, you gotta say so fairly soon.  Waiting a couple of days means we will have likely planned to go exploring somewhere else.

You see, we can go explore in Virginia (meet Al for a bit) and roll through West Virginia and then pick up Dave in Lexington Kentucky on the way down to the Dragon for the 28th if we can just get our act together for jest a little bit .....

Think "sleeping bag on your bike" and "flexible" and all that sorta happy thought stuff.

For whatever it is worth (not very much when 30 days out) but the weather forecast is for clear weather in the Dragon area.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/deep-gap-nc/28618/august-weather/2258361?mon...

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #39 - 07/28/14 at 09:47:17

...... and, since there is a great big silence coming in on the early explore item, I think I will mebbe go to to NOWHERE and camp at the end of it and fish and muck about in the general area doing some little biddy piddly something until the guys arrive.

(yeah, it's a real place the Dragoneers all know about)

Let's see, where is that old folded up ratty looking bucket list hidden in my wallet -- it sez I still have to go parachute, do a zip line and some white water rafting .....  this may be a chance to check one or two off the list.

(I will be out of pocket most of the rest of this week except at night -- Momma's vacation trip starts tomorrow)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #40 - 07/28/14 at 10:21:54

My arrival will be sometime Thursday.....depends on how busy things are.  If I haul all my gear to work so I don't have to go home and can leave from the office I can arrive early.  And as the day gets closer....maybe I can leave Wednesday night after my Council Meeting and get a few hours drive in and arrive early Thursday.....just not sure.  I do know for a fact that I can't drive the entire 5 hours after the Council meeting.....last year I tried and I made it to Jellico before I just gave out.........after being up for 21 hours.

If I work till 5 I won't arrive until 10.....not sure how they work the late night camper arrivals.  If I can sneak out at noon I will arrive around 5 PM......and once again is it somewhat weather dependent as there is no hurry to get there if it is rainy.  I betcha if I show up late and park in their parking lot and sleep in the back of the trailer Thursday night.....they aren't gonna bother me until morning.

Dave

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #41 - 07/28/14 at 21:34:23

Guys

Well ... the Cot in the tent try-out showed the tents I have are about a foot to small for a cot .   So Do either of you fellers have a tent bigger than 7 x 7 foot ?  

I'll probably have to teach my class (pending on me finding a replacement) till  12:30 or so ;  then  a 5 hour drive to dragon central.

So I should be there a little before dark on friday the 29th.   Should have enough time to set up a tent and go find dinner.  Smiley

I'm a little confused about when your getting there OldFeller ?  Huh

From what I understand   Tongue  Dave is sneaking in a day early so he can be "Re-acquainted with all the  curves before I get there.   (am I getting set-up for a whooping ???)  Undecided.   I'll bring the S-40 and mabby it won't be too bad !  Roll Eyes .
Now it sound like OldFeller is slipping in a day early too !  Huh

I'm glad we got a month to iron out the details  .  Smiley   and If we're having fresh FISH for dinner Friday ... Do I need to bring some aluminum foil and spices to cook in ? ... Grin

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #42 - 07/29/14 at 06:12:40

We have a tent that can hold two cots and still has some room to move around in.  I also have a small single size mattress that may even be more comfortable for Oldfellor than a cot would be.

No...I am not setting you up for a Whooping, and I pretty much just expect to watch your tail light again as I follow you around.

I am sure looking forward to riding in some dry weather.  Several times while were were riding in the rain and fog I felt like I was in the survival mode.  My helmet fogged up, my front tire was throwing a rooster tail up into my face and throwing water up into both my shoes, and my back tire was throwing water onto my back.  A Cafe' bike just isn't the best bike for riding in the rain.

Dave

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #43 - 07/29/14 at 06:38:57

I am sneaking in two days early but don't worry about me, I can find lots of things to do up in the mountains.

MM has a class he has to teach, so he won't be in until Friday.

Dave doesn't need to kill himself at work and then try to kill himself to come on Thursday, he can sleep at home that night and come on in on Friday in a civilized fashion.

We will meet at the Dragon on Friday August 29th.

This gives me time to kill a bucket list item or two ..... always easy to get a check mark on an item since most of them live up in the mountains.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #44 - 07/29/14 at 07:42:35

Off topic replies have been moved to this thread.

I moved the comment about next years ride into the 2015 event thread.  Anyone that has a suggestion on where next years event could/should be is welcome to chime in.

Dave

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 03:20:03

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dragon Ride No. 2......Planning Thread

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.