Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Building a fiberglass gas tank. (Read 462 times)
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Building a fiberglass gas tank.
04/16/14 at 16:11:20

I've been planning a lot for modifying my rear seat and was going to build a fiberglass seat,  I think I easily am capable of making a seat that looks great,  but I've heard that gas tanks are a whole different thing given the gas factor and air tight, etc...  but I've gone through many threads on fiberglass gas tanks and I really think I can pull it off.   My main questions would be what are the exact resins/hardeners,  types of fiberglass (or even a thin layer of carbon fiber) and others things necessary to make this work.   I know I need the inside with a protective coating against the gas of course,  but I guess I'm just asking,  outside of a normal fiberglass build,  what do I have to do extra or different?

IP Logged
blueknight
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Building a fiberglass gas tank.
Reply #1 - 04/16/14 at 17:00:29

Give the folks over at http://www.uscomposites.com/ a call I use them for all my carbon fiber needs and they are very knowledgable. Also their prices are competitive for high quality products

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #2 - 04/16/14 at 17:15:30

I'm a complete noob with fiberglass but a fiberglass gas tank sounds dangerous to me.  Do they actually exist?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #3 - 04/16/14 at 17:26:50

Kris01 wrote on 04/16/14 at 17:15:30:
I'm a complete noob with fiberglass but a fiberglass gas tank sounds dangerous to me.  Do they actually exist?

Used to be pretty common on dirt dikes back in the day.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #4 - 04/16/14 at 17:30:27

That sounds even MORE dangerous!  One rock with an attitude and you've got a crack and a fire.   Cheesy

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
blueknight
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/16/14 at 18:01:48

I have taken some pretty nasty rocks to my Arai helmet and it has suffered nothing more then a minor paint chip. When you think about it the gas tank would be constructed in the same manner, multiple layers of fiberglass, carbon fiber in opposing directions, and kevlar. When built correctly it would be darn near bulletproof

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/16/14 at 18:07:05

That seems to be a large portion of the aftermarket new cafe racer style tanks I find.   For instance Dime City Cycles has probably more fiberglass tanks then metal ones.  

I mentioned using a thin layer of carbon fiber also.   Wouldn't that also make the tank more solid or safer?   Like sandwich it in between the fiberglass?

I really want to make this work I just can't pay $400-$500 for a new tank....  And that's for a fiberglass one.   I'll see the same tank made of aluminum or something for $700-$1,100!?

IP Logged
v-pilot

Loud bikes rule!

Rexford NY
Reply #7 - 04/16/14 at 18:09:54

Yes there are a multitude of fiberglass and eve carbon fiber tanks out there but they all have a disclaimer stating for racing use only

Suzuki DR650, aprilia RSVR, aprilia Falco, Bimota DB4(2x)
Moto Guzzi V10, Ducati 900ss, Triumph Trident, Suzuki LS650
Moto Guzzi Le Mans SE(2x), Moto Guzzi V50, Benelli 250, Ducati 250
  IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/16/14 at 18:22:20

v-pilot wrote on 04/16/14 at 18:09:54:
Yes there are a multitude of fiberglass and eve carbon fiber tanks out there but they all have a disclaimer stating for racing use only

I've rarely seen that, in fact I just went to Dime City Cycles website and looked at their fiberglass tanks and not one has that disclaimer.   They are made specifically for a custom build for street bikes.   I don't even see one of them that specifies it's for racing applications only.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #9 - 04/16/14 at 19:09:38

Of course if we're gonna worry about the fine print everybodys gonna have to put the stock pipes back on their Harleys Grin

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #10 - 04/16/14 at 19:26:12

Yea some BSA tanks were fiberglass from the factory in the 60's as well as a bunch of Ducati street bikes had fiberglass tanks in the 70's early 80's, along with a lot of after market café style tanks.  From what I understand based on my knowledge of boat fiberglass tanks it's the ethanol that actually eats away the resin. The hardest part is sealing the tank lining properly at any egress/ingress points, once any gas/ethanol was given the opportunity to leach in behind the lining it would wreak havoc on the actual tank from the inside out.

Expand your search of knowledge on fiberglass tank building to the marine community as well, most tanks are plastic or aluminum now on boats, but there are plenty of older boats with fiberglass tanks which people are maintaining still  Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 04/16/14 at 23:35:10

Had a fiberglass tank on one of my 1964 Triumph T120C projects. Unless you line it with ethanol proof Red Kote, modern fuel will eat the thing pretty quickly. That said, Red Kote is not that expensive, so, go for it. Florist foam makes a decent shaping buck.

Go read the bodywork section of www.dotheton.com for glass tips. Those guys crank out some insane kitchen table made parts...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 04/17/14 at 08:20:05

I wont address the "It cant leak" part of it, but just the finishing of the surface to prep for paint. If you dont have experience in working fiberglass & sanding it, then before you spend the time & $$$ building a tank, I'd suggest you get some fiberglass & resin & make something, a box, heck, maybe just glass a cardboard box up. YOu can slice a coupla places on one side & glass hinges onto it, finish the cut, drill & bolt the hinges, make a little parts box or something,, But lay glass on thick enough to make it solid enough to sand on & learn a little about how glass acts. Keeping fresh paper on your sanding tools is important with that stuff,,
I guess something more or less the shape of the tank would teach ya more..Flat surfaces are the hardest, because any distortion will show up with a light across it, Compound curves are challenging too. & the tank has plenty of those,
Finding a high spot is part of it,, knowing which way to move the sandpaper to kill it is crucial. Sand Off of the high spots & onto the low spot youre blending to,Dont lay a sanding block on top of a high spot & scrub back & forth, Push the block off the high spot & do that in every direction that it needs blended. Once youve got it all "made" & out of the forms, remember how thick the walls are. Dont go sandin it too thin,, There is a "Bondo"( NEVER buy Bondo products made BY Bondo) type product specifically for glass,Youll need to practice mixing & getting the hardener right,,When you have "Bondo" mixed differently they are harder or softer & sand differently, BEGGING to create wavy places. Mixing the hardener for the glass,, dont want it too "Hot",, I think it makes it more likely to crack,,Like epoxy, you can determine the Set time by how much hardener you use,,Too little = a MESS,, So, Buy enough glass & Stuff to play around & learn, play with the filler
You can use a paint paddle to Spank the sandpaper & unclog it, but once its tired, ditch it,, youll be pushing too hard to smoothly blend.
Early on,you can get away with using tired paper,, but once it is getting close, you gotta keep sharp paper on it,,

I Never liked working glass,, especially patching on old glass. Fixing a "Vette" is a Huge pain,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 04/17/14 at 09:11:31

That's exactly what I plan on doing.   I have a thread going to start by making an underbelly air scoop.   I'm going to give that a try,  and for all my projects I'll be using female molds so the outside will be the smooth side and then just work on smoothing out the inside,  or if possible have both female molds for both sides and sandwich them in so when I pop it out both sides will be smooth.   Is that possible?

IP Logged
v-pilot

Loud bikes rule!

Rexford NY
Reply #14 - 04/17/14 at 18:58:09

uigiroux wrote on 04/16/14 at 18:22:20:

I've rarely seen that, in fact I just went to Dime City Cycles website and looked at their fiberglass tanks and not one has that disclaimer.   They are made specifically for a custom build for street bikes.   I don't even see one of them that specifies it's for racing applications only.

If you check out Airtech Slipstreaming they say that about all their tanks.  They make some really nice stuff.  I'm building a Dicati 250 as a Paul Smart Imola tribute bike and what I've gotten from them is nice

Ducati750Imola1972.jpg

Suzuki DR650, aprilia RSVR, aprilia Falco, Bimota DB4(2x)
Moto Guzzi V10, Ducati 900ss, Triumph Trident, Suzuki LS650
Moto Guzzi Le Mans SE(2x), Moto Guzzi V50, Benelli 250, Ducati 250
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 22:31:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Building a fiberglass gas tank.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.