Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Building a fiberglass gas tank. (Read 462 times)
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Building a fiberglass gas tank.
Reply #15 - 04/18/14 at 20:33:49

You must use ethanol-resistant resins in your handcrafted gas tank, and then coat it inside with one of the ethanol-proof liners.

AOC F764 resin is a new one sold at http://expresscomposites.com/resins.html

Another one is R&G Epoxy-c, and I don't know where you'd buy that.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 04/19/14 at 13:52:03

uigiroux wrote on 04/17/14 at 09:11:31:
That's exactly what I plan on doing.   I have a thread going to start by making an underbelly air scoop.   I'm going to give that a try,  and for all my projects I'll be using female molds so the outside will be the smooth side and then just work on smoothing out the inside,  or if possible have both female molds for both sides and sandwich them in so when I pop it out both sides will be smooth.   Is that possible?

Sure,, look at how they do boats, gel coat,,slick as glass,, hmm,, no pun intended.. anyway, you make the mold like ya want, smooth as silk, use a release agent, lay what ya want in & finish up with the ethanol resistant stuff. The inside you can still make "smooth", but the mold determines if its finished or not,, Done right, you could do gel coat & pop a finished product out,How youd hide the mold lines, I dunno,, I guess if ya did a left & rite side you could hide the joint under some kinda stripe,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 04/19/14 at 14:19:29

I guess it just depends on how easily it pops out,  but the ends I guess would just be the one part I would be trimming up and have to make look like the rest finished product.   For a gas tank,  I got this idea from someone else's build,  but have an 2 inch indent all around the track where I plan on cutting and splitting the tank out and then once all the parts are in the tank I'd combine by adding strips of fiberglass and resin to fill it in and then have another female mold ready that I could put it in which is smooth and even.   Or do that but then once it's all evened out do a whole nether female mold,  similar to the other idea just with one more layer over the whole tank.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #18 - 04/19/14 at 15:45:19

Good luck with the project. It's a big undertaking to make your own tank. Hope you'll keep us updated on your work (I'm a RC model flyer and we love a good build log on the RC forum). I guess you've already learned that making a moulded part from scratch is a lot of work, and not cheap, either. I build my own moulds and airframes but it's only because I wanted to build something unique and completely mine. If I just want a nice moulded plane (especially a competitive one), I'll do a few overtime shifts and buy one from a manufacturer. If you use polyester resin, it still could end up being in the ballpark price wise but until you do a moulding project you have no idea how long it takes and how much effort is involved. But like I said, good luck, you'll learn a lot. And it's a great feeling cracking open the mould and seeing your part come out, for sure. IMO, YMMV, FWIT etc.
Cheers
simon

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 04/19/14 at 15:48:00

gizzo wrote on 04/19/14 at 15:45:19:
Good luck with the project. It's a big undertaking to make your own tank. Hope you'll keep us updated on your work (I'm a RC model flyer and we love a good build log on the RC forum). I guess you've already learned that making a moulded part from scratch is a lot of work, and not cheap, either. I build my own moulds and airframes but it's only because I wanted to build something unique and completely mine. If I just want a nice moulded plane (especially a competitive one), I'll do a few overtime shifts and buy one from a manufacturer. If you use polyester resin, it still could end up being in the ballpark price wise but until you do a moulding project you have no idea how long it takes and how much effort is involved. But like I said, good luck, you'll learn a lot. And it's a great feeling cracking open the mould and seeing your part come out, for sure. IMO, YMMV, FWIT etc.
Cheers
simon

Thanks,  I'm looking forward to that feeling!   Just working on getting the money and parts at the moment but I will keep track of it with lots of photos.

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 04/24/14 at 12:47:36

Before I do my tank,  I'm going to start by making an under engine air scoop for practice.    I have my design all planned out and the lower mounting worked out,  but I'm trying to figure the best way to fasten the top part to the frame.   I figure I could make a bracket for the frame and connect them with a thick strip of metal and find a way to fasten the air scoop to that,  but what I think would work best and be the easiest is while I'm applying the fiberglass to the female mold,  fit in some straps,  either metal or some sort of fabric that would cinch tightly to the frame.   I am leaning towards this idea as it would be a much quicker,  and easier method of keeping it attached.   I'm just stuck on whether to use a metal,  rubber,  or fabric fastener.   Once it's layered in the mold,  to even out along with protecting the paint on the frame I'll use a one sided strip of neoprene foam and stick that to the finished product along where it hugs the frame,  and I could just thin it where the fastener is so it's completely even.   Any thoughts on how well this might work,  or ideas of how to better fasten it?   I saw this pic and I want to create something like this,  just the front part,  not going all down the bottom.

2011-honda-sabre-switchbl-6_600x0w_001.jpg
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #21 - 05/04/14 at 08:54:55

Hey Uig here's a link for a step by step beginners fiberglass tank build I came across, thought you might like to check it out  Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #22 - 05/04/14 at 09:39:59

WOW! That was very informative Toes!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 05/04/14 at 10:48:56

Lol yeah,  forgot to post the link...

IP Logged
Sej
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 05/04/14 at 15:03:46

I was thinking of making a fiberglass tank as well, but came to the conclusion that it would simply be too much work for me to do anytime soon and so instead picked up a GS450e tank to clean up and use.

Not sure if this is the same link as ToesNose tried to post, but here is the most helpful link I found in my research:
http://crecca.wordpress.com/category/i-composite-gas-tank-fabrication/

And for female mold making, this is a great link:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=26144.0

As far as fuel safe epoxies, look into novolac resins (epoxy or vinylester), which should hold up fine (they're used for sealing fuel reservoirs at gas stations).  The only downside being that they are fairly expensive and not too easy to get in small amounts.

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 05/04/14 at 16:56:40

Sej wrote on 05/04/14 at 15:03:46:
I was thinking of making a fiberglass tank as well, but came to the conclusion that it would simply be too much work for me to do anytime soon and so instead picked up a GS450e tank to clean up and use.

Not sure if this is the same link as ToesNose tried to post, but here is the most helpful link I found in my research:
http://crecca.wordpress.com/category/i-composite-gas-tank-fabrication/

And for female mold making, this is a great link:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=26144.0

As far as fuel safe epoxies, look into novolac resins (epoxy or vinylester), which should hold up fine (they're used for sealing fuel reservoirs at gas stations).  The only downside being that they are fairly expensive and not too easy to get in small amounts.

Sej,  thanks for those links!   I have seen similar versions of the tank building,  but the female mold thread was very inspiring.   I have been thinking about making my female molds in a similar fashion,  split down the center,  and this really gives me a lot to think about.   Really glad you linked that.   One thing that is bothering me is in that,  the guy used a Pro Autocad and CNC machine to make his mold perfectly symmetrical.   I don't have access to that and though I am using my skills with math,  and the use of  a protractor (I've had to make a ton of maps as part of my Geology Degree and have gotten very good at making 3-D geometric shapes.   In this case though,  as  much as  I can do to ensure the sides and edges and corners are symmetrical,  the parts that get curvy I'm having to eye as best as I can.   Granted this is a small piece,  but I've stressed before I'm rather a bit of  a perfectionist,  and I'm curious if there is  a way for me to (cheaply)  produce a mold on the computer and get it CNC'd somewhere.    I  have been getting a good amount of people expressing interest in wanting one If I can make it look professional and so on.   That's cool and all,  though my first priority is getting my bike fitted with this part,  and should others like it and want one,  well that's just a bonus.   Anyone know how I could  get access or where I'd go to have my mold copied to a perfectly symmetrical design and fabricated so I could make my female molds.

On  a side note.   I realized that there is essentially 3-5 variations of the mold I plan on making.  

1ST:    stock bike with no modification

2Nd:    bike like mine,  rear shocks are stock,  but the front has a 2 inch  lowering causing the bottom of the design to be a bit increased in degrees to keep the air scoop level with the ground.

3RD:   bikes with rear sets (such as RYCA builds),  which basically would make installation a while lot easier as the stock position of the pegs and rear brake and got controls would be gone and would give me much easier access to the area.

4TH:  bikes with both rear sets and different rear shocks and front such height,  really not a huge issue,  would just need to adjust my mold to be level given the dimensions,  though this could end up being more costly for some of they have some unusual dimensions,  basically making me have to build a one time only mold/part.

5TH:  This would be basically a custom requested build specifically for someone.   The difference between this and the last being that people add I've pointed out have done crazy creative things with our bike,  and some massive modifications to the frame and other such things,  so this would be an even further custom job if not requiring a completely different design altogether.   I think though I  would mainly focus on 1-3 on this list and if really compelled,  possibly 4.  I'd really need some free time to just completely try and fabricate a piece for someone else's totally moded bike,  and in all honesty,  if there capable of doing all the things the have so far,  chances are they'd not need me to create something they probably easily could themselves.

Ok well I  am off to study for my last final,  Calc 3 so gonna try and focus on that.   Thanks again for the links,  very helpful!

Cheers

Uriah

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #26 - 05/10/14 at 18:12:47

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #27 - 05/10/14 at 18:30:45

This guy made a fiberglass tank for a Honda Sabre which he made the tank from foam. Then put the fibreglass over the foam and used a solvent to evaporate the foam inside leaving a fiberglass shell.
Well worth the watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bHv8hUwE5k&list=PL8SLiVEQM9KNBccNx4p2W9W5ggK...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #28 - 05/11/14 at 08:49:29

Well, DUUUHHHH!!! How obvious is that? DANGITTT!  I just hate missing such obvious answers..

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #29 - 05/12/14 at 00:42:12

Durn burn it Paul.... I went to that link at noon on sunday and its now 3am Monday morning... I could not stop watching that guys build!  
He is a very clever videographer and a likeable fella..... I have subscribed to his site and will keep an eye on his next build.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 17:48:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Building a fiberglass gas tank.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.