Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need help removing clutch cover (Read 82 times)
cobra
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Need help removing clutch cover
05/12/14 at 07:34:43

I want to remove the clutch cover to powder coat it but I don't know what to expect. I can see the small chrome clutch lever attach to the cover and don't know If something will pop out of place when I undo the bolts.
Do i disconnect the cable from it, if so it looks like I would have to bend a tang to get it out ??
I need advice please. Also any problems removing the other oil filter cover side. I am new to the savage but I am mechanically incline, don't know this bike yet but I will, thanks for the help  Wink

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Re: Need help removing clutch cover
Reply #1 - 05/12/14 at 07:44:21

Here, this thread talks about the cam tensioner.  You have to take the cover off to get to it.  

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1191167029

I recommend getting a piece of cardboard and putting the bolts through in a diagram so you can remember where they are supposed to go.  Some have gasket washers.  Yeah, the clutch cable has to disconnect.  A small screw driver can open it up.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 05/12/14 at 07:46:01

Oil filter cover is the 3 "floating" hex key head fasteners on the clutch cover. Drop your foot controls and exhaust system or the clutch cover won't come off. The other cover has your alternator in it. I know, it is listed as a wet generator, but, since the bike has a rectifier, the unit is an AC alternator, not a DC generator. Pull the front pulley cover to access all the fasteners.

Oh, if you can't find your 8mm socket, a 5/16" one fits perfectly...

Once the bolts are out, getting the covers off is still tricky, the gaskets tend to be stuck to both mating surfaces AND the case is a tight fit on the locating dowels/roll pins.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 05/12/14 at 07:57:54

If you dont have 12 to 15,000 miles on it youre gonna be goin in there again. If thats about where ya are, then now is a great time to open it up, cuz ya need to have a look at the cam chain, anyway.
2 mods that absolutely should happen are
Raptor petcock( dont buy a $7.00 knockoff in an "official" lookin box)
& the Versy cam chain adjuster. Get more miles outta that chain AND make it so the adjuster cant sling its guts fatally into the motors bottom end & all those gears & stuff on the side. SO, if youre close to that mileage, lay hands on a Versy type adjuster & go in. Do it all at the same time & save yourself the hours of going in & out of there. Its not a real quick process, drop the header, pull the pegs, clean gasket surfaces, plenty of minute eaters there..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 05/12/14 at 08:34:50

WD wrote on 05/12/14 at 07:46:01:
The other cover has your alternator in it. I know, it is listed as a wet generator, but, since the bike has a rectifier, the unit is an AC alternator, not a DC generator.

Really a small technical point, but gives you a clue as to the trouble to remove.

Alternators don't have magnets in them, generators do.
We have a 3 phase AC generator, so there's a FN magnet in there.
And the cover is a b!tch to get off.

Here's a little tip to getting the clutch cover off, gently operate the clutch lever and that side of the cover will come loose.
On the stator side, there are tabs to pry on but don't pry to hard.
and don't use tools on the gasket surface and mark them all up.
they got to seal afterwards.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 05/12/14 at 13:55:52

I am curious to see what powder coating and baking does to the oil window?  I am not sure how much heat the seal or window can tolerate?

If you do the other side.....you better remove the stator wiring before it is powder coated.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 05/12/14 at 14:41:02

I developed a leak not too long ago in the window.
popped it out, cleaned it, stuck it back in with RTV and it hasn't leaked since.

WWW   IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #7 - 05/12/14 at 14:43:36

How heat tolerant is RTV?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 05/12/14 at 15:07:23

pg wrote on 05/12/14 at 14:43:36:
How heat tolerant is RTV?

depending on the one you bought... up to 600°F

WWW   IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #9 - 05/12/14 at 15:10:45

Thanks, just curious what applications it may be used for.

IP Logged
cobra
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/12/14 at 17:34:21

Thanks guys, my bike is a 2001 and has 12,000 miles so I guess while I'm doing this I should do the chain tensioner. Where do I buy this versy cam chain adjuster. I don't know If you guys are familiar with RYCA RR-1 Bobber but that's what I'm doing. I am to the point that I could remove the covers and powder coat or polish them. RYCA did their covers black on the RR-1 but I wonder If they were powder coated or just painted, I'll have to ask Ryan at RYCA. Good point about the oil window.
I think they use 350 degree when they powder coat, wonder how hot the oil become, probably less. I'll check later for the Versy cam adjuster buy reference If anybody has it, I'll read the article again, didn't see it, thanks again for the support ! Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 04:36:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need help removing clutch cover

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.