Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Voodoo Vintage Savage build for my GF (Read 2082 times)
Detuned
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Voodoo Vintage Savage build for my GF
03/24/14 at 21:58:10

Hey guys, I'm more of a lurker/reader than a poster and was asked to post my build that I'm doing for my GF online.

I wanted to get her something smaller and easy to learn on and it was between a Honda Rebel or a Suzuki Savage.  It was really down to what I can find for a good price since this was a budget build.

I ended up finding a 2004 Savage locally with a blown motor and brought it home.

and ugly it was!

I actually did this mod 5 min after I got it home... Ended up putting tracker bars on upside down that my brother had laying around

[imghttp://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj21/detuned/katiessavagechop/katiessavage48.jpg][/img]

Here she is getting a feel on my brothers XS650

IP Logged
Detuned
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Voodoo Vintage Savage build for my GF
Reply #1 - 03/24/14 at 21:59:18

I then accessed the damage to the motor to see what was needed..

Before pulling it apart further, I ordered a head, jug and piston.  Once those parts arrived I tore the motor apart and noticed that it got so hot that the wrist pin was seized into the rod.  I ended up splitting the case and then figured it would be cheaper to just buy another motor altogether.  Unfortunately, I could only find an older 4 speed motor which will have to do for now.

IP Logged
Detuned
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/24/14 at 21:59:48

David Roy over at Voodoo Vintage hooked me up with this awesome hardtail kit and we got to work. He does QUALITY work

Stock swing arm GTFO
[imghttp://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj21/detuned/katiessavagechop/IMG_4327.jpg][/img]

IP Logged
Detuned
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/24/14 at 22:04:26

I had this sportster peanut tank laying around and it fit perfect.

I also had this old Rapido tank.  Still trying to decide which looks better

IP Logged
Detuned
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/24/14 at 22:05:15

Concerned with how low the stance was without ANY weight on it, I contacted David and he mentioned that the factory 15" wheel is very low profile and suggested I go up to a 16 or 18, so I purchased a 18" GS550 rear wheel and a 21" intruder front wheel.

I then decided to throw knobbies on it (5.10 rear) I was also hoping to use the front fender in the back, but it wasn't wide enough to clear the tire.  

IP Logged
Detuned
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/24/14 at 22:05:44

I had the wheels powdercoated and they came out horribly.  I don't know how this company stays in business, but he refused to re do them and I ended up with poor powder  Angry  I actually ended up spray painting the sprocket plate and brake drum better than his powdercoating job.

much better

IP Logged
Detuned
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 03/24/14 at 22:07:12

I read somewhere that the Intruder wheel bolted on with no mods, but that wasn't really true.  I ended up getting it on there using the Savage spacers and Intruder axle, but it was offset by about an inch and moving it anymore would have resulted in the rotor coming in contact with the fork slider.  Pretty bummed since I didn't want to have to make a custom caliper bracket and having an offset wheel between the fork legs.  I researched to see if the complete Intruder front end would fit just so I can knock out 2 birds with 1 stone with the brake situation and no one could really tell me if it would fit or not.  So I did some measuring and more research and figured I'd just find one and see how it goes.  

*I was pretty bummed once again because one part I really like on the savage was the front end and how it looked billet.  It looked so clean and nice, while the intruder is, well....kinda bulky and ugly.

This is what happened..

IP Logged
Detuned
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/24/14 at 22:07:52

So if anyone is wondering, A Intruder VS800 front end bolts on with no mods.  Im even using the Intruder axle speedometer  with it. You also get an instant brake upgrade  Smiley

The Savage headlight bolted on too

IP Logged
Detuned
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/24/14 at 22:08:18

I also picked up an VS1400 front fender that clears the rear tire from the same guy that sold me the front end.

Had the controls coated

This is where I'm at right now.  I didn't really set out a plan and its pretty much coming as I go.  Hopefully I'll continue to update this soon.

Peter

IP Logged
Detuned
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 03/24/14 at 22:19:12

Even though I started out with a Savage, the only thing left that's original is the headlight, motor, controls and front half of the frame.... so far

IP Logged
shaunCW78
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 03/24/14 at 22:42:22

To each his own. Have fun with the build. Ride safe.

IP Logged
533clive

Knuckle scraper, and
airbrush artist

Andover, Hants, UK
Reply #11 - 03/25/14 at 00:18:54

Loving this buddy. If anyone from Voodoo vintage would answer their emails, I'd be building something similar!?!?!

The whole look is spot on,!

1990 bobbered Savage, and a 1996 work in progress

www.airborneartwerx.co.uk
WWW   IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #12 - 03/25/14 at 02:17:59

Nice one man. That's gonna look s*** hot Cool ! You're a good BF.

IP Logged
Dfinn

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 03/25/14 at 13:25:47

Nice work so far man! Can't wait to see the finished ride!

IP Logged
Detuned
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 03/29/14 at 13:10:07

I'm not sure who asked, but someone wanted to see pictures of how the back bone from the hardtail went into the Savage factory square tubing.

All of it will be covered up by a tank...

I'm didn't take a picture of it, but at the bottom of the square tubing, theres a block off plate that comes with hard tail you weld in place.  

Its almost ready for coating, I just have to figure out a chain tensioner, mid controld and kickstand.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 19:32:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Voodoo Vintage Savage build for my GF

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.