The Ukraine (Read 527 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: The Ukraine
Reply #30 - 03/17/14 at 10:09:57

WHAAAT!?  I dont want Lurch with the kids,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #31 - 03/17/14 at 10:19:56

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/17/14 at 10:09:57:
WHAAAT!?  I dont want Lurch with the kids,,

That's pretty good.  I refer to him as potato head, for multiple reasons.

What happened to democracy and letting the people decide?  Only when convenient I suppose.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #32 - 03/17/14 at 11:18:50

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #33 - 03/17/14 at 13:14:09

For some reason, in 1861 when a considerable number of Americans wanted to secede from the Union, we fought a war over that one too.  So much for democracy and the will for self determination.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #34 - 03/17/14 at 22:35:46

pg wrote on 03/17/14 at 11:18:50:

funny video for very young children. shooters probably toy guns-otherwise he should lie with traumatic shock and injury to the sternum( provided that he is a bullet-proof vest) because the force of the blow from a bullet equivalent to blow 15kg sledgehammer with strong momentum.
and teaching methodology is not characteristic of Russian FSB.
this not a russian FSB.it's a bad clowns Grin

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #35 - 03/18/14 at 02:10:53

May I suggest that we all read the history of Hawaii and how the Kingdom of Hawaii, a free and sovereign state, became annexed to the USA.

Then, may I suggest we read the history of Texas, of how it was a Mexican State and how it became a Territory, then a State of the Union.

Just to name two US-based historical precedents.

Then may I suggest we read the history of Moldavia (Moldova to many) and how the "Republic of Trans-Dnistria" came to be.

Then may I suggest we read the history of Serbia and how Kosovo (Kosova to the Albanians) happened to be "declared" an autonomous political entity.

Then may I suggest we read the history of Bosnia-Herzegovina and how the the "Republika Srpska" came to be.

In all (ALL) these circumstances, a people not indigenous to the area immigrated (or, was encouraged to immigrate by a larger, more powerful State)
until the ethnic proportions were reversed, and a "new, peaceful" political entity was created
- often in the face of International Law.

Oh... there are other case studies available...
- Schleswig-Holstein, a Danish Province which was annexed by Germany at the dawn of the Great War (ethnic German majority)

- Northern Ireland, where the English insisted to maintain rule although "freedom" (=sovereignty) had been acknowledged to the rest of the land, which became the Republic of Ireland (Eire)

- Northern (Turkish) Cyprus (has anybody done anything about that ?)

- Spanish Sahara being granted independence from Spain, and invaded overnight by Morocco

All this but simply to witness that what is happening in the Crimea is "ordinary routine" if analyzed with the eyes of history, which ignores weeks and months but lives by "century-long minutes"...
...and I only analyzed that which has direct impact on Europe !

I am now waiting for somebody to wave a handfull of Euros in the face of ethnic german "russians" in Kaliningrad
(which was called Koenigsberg for centuries and was one of the richest ports of the Hansa League) and see what happens there...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koenigsberg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaliningrad

Can you find Koenigsberg in this map of the Teutonic State in 1466 ? Why on earth should it WANT to be (or stay) russian ???  Huh

See what I mean ?

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #36 - 03/18/14 at 03:58:31

Quote:
See what I mean ?

You are correct.  I always wondered how Russia got a little piece of Poland on the Baltic Sea even after "The Wall Came Down."  

Is that correct that Germany blamed the invasion of Poland in WW2 because of an event that happened in Danzig against ethic Germans?  

I studied the Yugoslav Wars and that was extremely complicated.  That is for another thread though.  

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #37 - 03/18/14 at 06:03:43

“Comrade Obama, what should those who have neither accounts nor property abroad do? Have you not thought about it?” Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin tweeted. “I think the decree of the President of the United States was written by some joker.”

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/03/17/russian-deputy-prime-ministers-pub...

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #38 - 03/18/14 at 06:42:07

pg wrote on 03/18/14 at 03:58:31:
Quote:
See what I mean ?

You are correct.  I always wondered how Russia got a little piece of Poland on the Baltic Sea even after "The Wall Came Down."  

Is that correct that Germany blamed the invasion of Poland in WW2 because of an event that happened in Danzig against ethic Germans?  

I studied the Yugoslav Wars and that was extremely complicated.  That is for another thread though.  

Sorry, PGAMBR, you are wrong.

Koeningsberg was NOT a little piece of Poland, it was a little piece of GERMANY.

Go back to a post of mine from about a week ago; I explained that there is a large portion of the State of Michigan which belongs, geographically speaking, to Wisconsin.
Hence, all those living there "migrated through Wisconsin". Let's call them "Michigan Wisconsinians"...

...should it ever happen that income tax laws and healthcare in Wisconsin are definitely preferable to those in Michigan, wouldn't YOU like to "vote and improve the situation"?

Why should those living in the Kaliningrad enclave, who are all (but a minority) ethnic germans, want to continue living as russians?

Why should the Crimea, which was home of the Imperial Fleet of the Black Sea since the times of the Czars,
hence artificially russian (and not tatar, nor ukrainian) because of mass immigration of the families of the navy crews...
...why should it be labeled "ukrainian"?

I am not throwing gasoline to the fire, nor am I advocating anything.

I am analyzing both sides of the issue.

It is far too easy to stay on the Ukrainian side, without looking at history.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #39 - 03/18/14 at 10:35:02

why none of you guys haven't bothered to look at Ukraine as well say at borders before 1917?

turns out that Ukraine has conquered the Western part(the Lviv oblast) in Poland... the southern(Odessa region, Kherson region) at the then Bessarabia, Crimea from the Russian Empire... and you say Russia is the aggressor and draw cards of the 15th century... somehow it is not logical all of this..
I'm sorry. what card with inscriptions in Russian.

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #40 - 03/18/14 at 11:02:29

No need to be sorry, WAMBR, no problem.

Unfortunately our American friends are not accustomed to national borders shifting at the end of every war - and that often meant people migrating because they were driven out, too.

We in Europe have a long understanding about this, but you have to experience it "on your family" (not necessarily on yourself, but tales by the grandparents is often enough) in order to understand.

I also see modern-day Dnepropetrovskwa called Ekaterinoslav ?
... and Yosovka is now called Donetsk ?

What about Elizabetoslav ? Is it now "Kirovograd" or "Nonoukrainka" ?

To all the US based riders and readers... there is a sad tradition of force emigration of the "old dwellers" of a city, mass immigration of "new dwellers" and changing the city name in order to delete any old sense of national identity.

See the Oder-Neisse line when the Allies decided to move Russian, Polish and German borders alla few hundred miles west in 1946.

The "Curzon Line" gave East Poland to the Soviet Union (why ? THEY had attacked Poland in the first place!) and gave all of East Prussia to the USSR as well.
Also, the Polish-German border was moved west and gave all of the shaded area to Poland.

I leave you to imagine the force emigration, persecutions and mass murders which ensued.

If the prioce of peace is a Russian Crimea... hey! That's exactly what it was until 1917 !!!

Or... should we give Australia back to the Aborigenes and South Africa back to the Zulus... ?

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #41 - 03/18/14 at 11:48:09

Indeed... US history is not immune to evils of the powerful. You left off the the fact that the North American continent wasn't exactly devoid of natives ( overly kind of you).   Grin

But it all pretty much goes back to my original feeling... US should keep their nose out of this. It's not "winable", there is not to be "an end", and who is right or wrong... changes with how far back one wants to go.  Europe is simply too old ( too steeped in history) and too dynamic for western politicians.

I would also put forward, that no matter what things are like this month, in 6 months it will be different, and within 2 years.. different yet again. I base this on the evidence that Ukraine was not doing all that well economically anyway. The smartest (economic) move for MANY there would be  to fold back into Russia. Putin does not have to "attack" anyone. he simply has to bide his time. (In the mean time let the stupid Americans send billions in aid).

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #42 - 03/19/14 at 01:55:05

Pine wrote on 03/18/14 at 11:48:09:
Indeed... US history is not immune to evils of the powerful. You left off the the fact that the North American continent wasn't exactly devoid of natives ( overly kind of you).   Grin

Who, me ? Naaah... just wanted to avoid Webstermark's comments on my alleged "being antiamerican"  Lips Sealed

Quote:
But it all pretty much goes back to my original feeling... US should keep their nose out of this. It's not "winable", there is not to be "an end", and who is right or wrong... changes with how far back one wants to go.  Europe is simply too old ( too steeped in history) and too dynamic for western politicians.

Next 4th July you will celebrate 238 years of USA.
Next Thanksgiving you will celebrate 392 years since the Pilgrim Fathers' first Thanksgiving (they landed in 1621, so it must have been celebrated in 1622)
Next 21 April Rome will celebrate its (official) 2767 birthday, and it isn't even the oldest city in Italy.
The Etruscans were there already, as were other peoples.
Far too many times "industrial / economic power" is mistaken for "heritage / experience".

Quote:
I would also put forward, that no matter what things are like this month, in 6 months it will be different, and within 2 years.. different yet again. I base this on the evidence that Ukraine was not doing all that well economically anyway. The smartest (economic) move for MANY there would be  to fold back into Russia. Putin does not have to "attack" anyone. he simply has to bide his time. (In the mean time let the stupid Americans send billions in aid).    

Ukrainians have little love lost for Russians, a bit like the English and the Scots - or Savage riders and HOGs  Grin

yes, the Ukraine was (IS) not as well off as Russia, but that is not entirely the Ukraine's fault.
It was a specific industrial strategy of the USSR to keep inportant heavy industry separated in many "specialized" plants, so that in order to build... a tank...
one factory would build engines, one would build the turret, one the chassis, one the guns... and one to assemble it all into a working tank.
They were all kept thousands of miles apart.
That way, nobody had the capacity to say "we wil declare independence, and the tanks we build will vouch for us".

Furthermore, one of the diplomatic conditions discussed and approved in Moscow when the Ukraine split from the USSR quite peacefully
was that the 5th Russian Fleet of the Black Sea would still have the Crimea as its home base, with all Soviet (=Russian) privileges acknowledged to Navy crews and their families.

Imagine, it was like UK and US Ambassadors at the Peace talks in 1783 saying "OK, you Rebels, YOU get the 13 Colonies,
BUT His Majesty's Royal Navy gets to keep Norfolk Harbor and all the crew and their families keep the homes and English privileges".

WAMBR's map also shed a LOT of light on past European history. Check this out.

http://loiter.co/v/watch-as-1000years-of-european-boarders-change/

My workplace's new internet filters do not allow me to see streaming media, so I pasted the above link both as "media" and "URL".
I can't see it from here, but I do hope it proves interesting.
By the way... it's "border", not "boarder"; a "boarder" is one who rents a room for "room and board", generally breakfast and supper.

My parting shot: Given European history from 1750 (including the French&Indian War) if the 13 Colonies had been, say, not across an entire ocean,
but only 2 or 3 days' sailing away from mainland Europe...
or in an otherwise uninhabited Scandinavia...
...do you really believe no other European nation would have tried taking a shot at you?
Do you really believe the War of 1812 would have ended with a draw between UK and US ?
Do you really believe nobody would have attempted to seize the opportunity in 1865, when both USA and CSA were at their last stand ?

Again, nothing against you, just food for thought.

Poland and Russia, Germany and Poland, Austria and Hungary and Serbia, Romania and Turkey, France and Germany, France and England, England and Scotland, England and Spain, France and Spain...
...they were all at each other's throats, literally, ever since the end of the Crusades...
...not to mention that Italy was so plumb rich with commerce with the Middle and Far East that they were ALL taking turns sending their armies south to loot and plunder... Lips Sealed

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #43 - 03/19/14 at 04:00:52

I wonder if the people of southern California, given your observation mpescatori of how people migrate to a local, if given the chance, democracy-wise, would vote to break away from the northern parts and the union itself and return to Mexico..... of course La Raza needs no vote, yet. It might seem far fetched to many, but goggle La Raza and see for yourself the desire by the radical members to get back what was once theirs.....
People of the USA are very ignorant, as you report, to many elements of the rest of the world, and how it works. When coupled with arrogance, it can become a dangerous mindset.....

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #44 - 03/19/14 at 06:21:42

A New Cold War? Ukraine Violence Escalates, Leaked Tape Suggests U.S. Was Plotting Coup

Video

Last night the country's embattled president and the opposition leaders demanding his resignation called for a truce and negotiations to try to resolve Ukraine's political crisis. But hours later, armed protesters attempted to retake Independence Square sparking another day of deadly violence.

At least 50 people have died since Tuesday in the bloodiest period of Ukraine's 22-year post-Soviet history. While President Obama has vowed to "continue to engage all sides" a recently leaked audio recording between two top U.S. officials reveal the Obama administration has been secretly plotting with the opposition.

Posted February 20, 2014

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article37701.htm

The tape is in the link.

--Steve

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 20:45:05

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › The Ukraine