Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
FS: custom front brake upgrade (Read 3496 times)
RycaShawn

Ryca Fan

Los Angeles
FS: custom front brake upgrade
02/04/14 at 13:23:48

I (a former professional racecar brake engineer of 14 years from a well known company) designed a front brake upgrade for my Ryca build and decided to make this available to my fellow riders.

The Advics brand 4 piston caliper with stainless steel pistons was chosen to work with the stock master cylinder and feels great - no, phenomenal! Includes a clear anodized billet aluminum adapter bracket and two mounting bolts. The rotor assembly is 2 piece stainless steel floating construction just like a current street bike. The stainless steel rotor adapter is chosen to mimic the OEM front rotor style to match the rear sprocket. The rotor can be disassembled and rebuilt. Pads come with the caliper. You supply your own brake line from Ryca or reuse your original hose.

Note this customer anodized his bracket gold.

sandorbota@hotmail.com

$440 shipped within USPS flat rate areas
(Paypal fees included in price)
Local pick up in Los Angeles saves $13
Add $30 USD to ship to Canada ay.

Upon request, I can offer the caliper with gold plugs at an additional cost of $20. SILVER plugs come standard. Blue is shown in the photo and can be made available upon request.

Note that in order to make a low quantity kit without investing heavily in tooling for each part, some components are used take-offs from other motorcycles. Price reflects current market for these components plus margin for me to offer this product to you. For reference, the retail price for a loaded brand new caliper is about $400. The kit has been tested and works as it should. Rider assumes all responsibility for installation and proper bleeding of the brake system.

I am considering offering a free set of new brake pads with a new customer referral. To be discussed on an individual basis.

Good News! I am still sourcing calipers! Keep those orders coming!

Replacement parts are readily available through me or I will point you in the right direction.

ALWAYS WASH ROTOR WITH SOAP AND WATER BEFORE INSTALLATION OR PADS MAY BECOME CONTAMINATED WITH GRINDING OIL

For your concerns: I currently work in ISO and have worked in TS16949 Automotive quality management system. I am very familiar with #1 Design Engineering, #2 Brake system design, #3 Engineering requirements and blueprint creation and revision control including GD&T, #4 Quality Control, #5 Machining using CNC mills and lathes, grinders, manual machines etc. What I am terrible in is business management. My kit is priced fairly low for the investment but I am working on part.

Disclaimer: The seller does not claim that installing this brake kit will prevent motorcycle accidents. The buyer assumes all risks associated with the installation and use of this brake kit. This includes proper assembly and maintenance of all components and bleeding of the brake system. The buyer should confirm that the brake system is working properly, such as all pistons moving in and out of the caliper without getting stuck. The buyer must properly break in the brake system as the initial use of the brakes will not be optimal until a pad transfer layer is present on the rotor. The buyer will properly torque all bolts and add Loctite if necessary to keep hardware from coming loose from vibration. Changing the friction compound of the brake pad is the sole responsibility of the buyer. Organic and sintered pads have both been tested and work well with the kit.

« Last Edit: 04/19/16 at 14:24:02 by RycaShawn »  
  IP Logged
v-pilot

Loud bikes rule!

Rexford NY
Re: FS: custom front brake upgrade
Reply #1 - 03/11/14 at 14:04:58

Who makes the caliper and where?

Suzuki DR650, aprilia RSVR, aprilia Falco, Bimota DB4(2x)
Moto Guzzi V10, Ducati 900ss, Triumph Trident, Suzuki LS650
Moto Guzzi Le Mans SE(2x), Moto Guzzi V50, Benelli 250, Ducati 250
  IP Logged
RycaShawn

Ryca Fan

Los Angeles
Reply #2 - 03/11/14 at 14:08:44

I designed the brake kit. The caliper and rotor is a take off from another motorcycle and happens to be sized perfectly for the master cylinder. Nice firm brake lever and you NOW can lock up if you want to.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 03/12/14 at 09:14:53

Very nice work Shawn.
Looks like I need to add this to my wish list.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #4 - 03/15/14 at 06:29:34

Exactly what is involved to install this kit?

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
RycaShawn

Ryca Fan

Los Angeles
Reply #5 - 03/15/14 at 10:49:31

arteacher wrote on 03/15/14 at 06:29:34:
Exactly what is involved to install this kit?

It's a bolt on kit. Plug 'n play.

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 03/20/14 at 00:26:05

Absolutely wonderful work there!   This is a long shot I realize,  but would you be able to come up with anything allowing for a rear disc brake conversion?

IP Logged
Detuned
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/22/14 at 06:48:42

great work.  I didn't see it, but what is the diameter of the new floating rotor?

IP Logged
RycaShawn

Ryca Fan

Los Angeles
Reply #8 - 03/22/14 at 08:33:54

no rear disc conversion in the works

The rotor is 320mm

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 05/13/14 at 10:01:36

Yep.......I want one.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #10 - 05/16/14 at 16:25:34

OK... so I buy the kit and put it on and wear out the pads. Where do I go to get new ones?  What bike are they from?

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
RycaShawn

Ryca Fan

Los Angeles
Reply #11 - 05/16/14 at 18:32:36

Pads are Yamaha shape. The pads that I will provide are not cheap "asian" stuff. I have not tested any low cost alternative friction choices. OE pads seem to sell for $25 a pair.

« Last Edit: 04/20/15 at 15:52:06 by RycaShawn »  
  IP Logged
v-pilot

Loud bikes rule!

Rexford NY
Reply #12 - 05/18/14 at 16:45:59

I pony'd up for one of his first kits.  He will answer any and all of your questions in detail if you buy one...he did for me.  You can't blame him for being a bit guarded on the specifics as he's spent time and effort on this.  It's all quality stuff and the parts he makes or had made are top notch.  The kit is much lighter than the stock set up also.  I understand everyone's questions as it's not exactly pocket change for the kit but he won't leave you hanging.  I told him his secret was safe with me...so don't ask me.   He also has experience in mechanical design and brake systems.  There RycaShawn, I tooted your horn and hopefully there won't be too many more questions.  Wink

« Last Edit: 05/20/14 at 17:28:16 by v-pilot »  

Suzuki DR650, aprilia RSVR, aprilia Falco, Bimota DB4(2x)
Moto Guzzi V10, Ducati 900ss, Triumph Trident, Suzuki LS650
Moto Guzzi Le Mans SE(2x), Moto Guzzi V50, Benelli 250, Ducati 250
  IP Logged
tomw
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 05/18/14 at 20:53:07

Looks like it could stop better then on  a dime nice job !

IP Logged
RycaShawn

Ryca Fan

Los Angeles
Reply #14 - 01/09/15 at 09:04:57

5 kits available

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home