Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My winter hit list (Read 130 times)
NCSUindy09

Rollin'

My winter hit list
12/06/13 at 10:03:19

Hey guys, sorry to flood the rubber side down with threads but when I'm not riding or working on it, I guess I'll just talk about it.  After today it gets cold as hell so I'm putting my bike up in the shop this afternoon.  Now I really have the time to get into the bike and do some of the stuff I've been putting off.  I want to do some customization but before that I want to get this thing running like it should.  I love how good the savage looks as a bobber, maybe that will be next winter.  It's a 1986 at 14,400 miles.  I really don't have much experience inside the engine, but I'm hoping to fix that over winter.  Here are some things I want to do:

Front forks are pitted and need some polishing.
Replace my air box with a cone filter
Find a scrap Harley or other muffler (maybe replace the header too, it's pretty rusted, or maybe I'll just wrap it)
Maybe add an inline fuel filter (Already got Raptor petcock)
Cam chain tensioner!! It's that time. Don't know much about it though.
Sand/Polish up all the metal! Maybe some paint, but I don't know if it will fit my budget.
Rejet the carb, don't know much about this.
Find and fix my oil leak
Replace rear brake shoe
MAYBE fit a wider rear tire and switch to a chain? Idk about this. I need new tires anyway.
Double maybe get a new carb/cam from lancer?  I want all the horses in the world.
Maybe replace the clutch? Don't know anything about this yet.
Definitely replace the 25 year old brake fluid

I'd really like to take the engine apart and replace all the gaskets and piston rings, sort of like in this thread : http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1246924611

Where can I get the parts for doing all of this?? (Especially the gasket set)  I live in NC, but do all my shopping online anyway.  There's a few junkyards around here but I don't know if they have motorcycles.  If I had to set a budget of 2 or $300 which of these things should I prioritize?  

I would be glad to take pics and document any of these things as I do them.  I'm not the most experienced, but maybe my mistakes can help someone else.

1986 Savage, 18k Miles. Cone air filter, drilled & wrapped exhaust. Stock carb and jets. Daily commute bike.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: My winter hit list
Reply #1 - 12/06/13 at 10:31:51

Quote:
Cam chain tensioner!! It's that time. Don't know much about it though.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1180206459

and may I suggest...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1288911670

as far as rings go, I wouldn't bother with them till it consuming oil.  Check the top of the piston, if there's a carbon sitting there, it's burning oil.  Otherwise leave it alone.

WWW   IP Logged
NCSUindy09

Rollin'

Reply #2 - 12/09/13 at 07:59:33

Where should I buy a gasket set from? I've seen them on eBay for around $70. There's a Suzuki stealership in town but I haven't checked prices there yet. I've been having a good time disassembling so far. On an 86 nothing comes apart easily or in as few steps as the manual suggests. My next step is to remove the engine from the frame. I'll build a bench mount for it before I do that. When I drained the oil I got less than half a quart. I'm still laughing to myself about that.

1986 Savage, 18k Miles. Cone air filter, drilled & wrapped exhaust. Stock carb and jets. Daily commute bike.
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #3 - 12/09/13 at 08:20:23

You can get OEM parts here http://www.partsfish.com/  The prices are about the same as stuff I've seen on Ebay for knock off stuff.

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #4 - 12/09/13 at 08:27:21

Check the junk yard for the starter gear assembly. A couple of hints from experience (I'm also doing my '86). If they have a replacement limiter gear it will be a post '95 motor. Be sure they take it out in ONE piece. DO NOT undo the snap ring. If they pull the starter gear out to the right of the limiter (it just slides out of the case), the limiter gear will come out in one piece. ALSO: take your old side cover and see if they will swap you straight across for your old cover for the newer one, there is a post in the case that won't fit the newer gear and you'd have to machine the old case.  (The junkyard here did that for me).

IP Logged
NCSUindy09

Rollin'

Reply #5 - 12/27/13 at 10:12:40

Hey guys, been working on this list.  I got all the way down to the head gasket.  Waiting for one to come in the mail.  I had my clutch cover off and saw my cam chain tensioner was ready to go.  I got a new cam chain because the tensioner looked fine.  The other side cover is still on, I don't think it was leaking oil like the other one was.  I also didn't get that funky cover off that side to get to the flywheel bolt.  My buddy used a trick with a coat hanger in the spark plug hole to find TDC.  Since I'm getting a new cam chain I'll have to time the engine again.  I wasn't able to find a thread on the forum that describes how to do this and the manual seems to only describe how to put the engine back together from a bare block. Oh yeah, blew my budget already.  

So reassembling the engine I have a few questions:

Do I use sealant on the plug cap and what kind?

What kind of grease for camshaft?

Besides carefully removing old sealant and replacing with new, is there anything I should do to the surfaces of the engine before reassembly?

My rear brake works well enough to lock the tire, but it always squeals. Can I grease it somewhere?

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #6 - 12/28/13 at 15:49:38

You can lube the cable, grease the connector at the brake plate, the splined shaft that goes through the brake plate, even the pedal.  DON'T grease the brakes.

I've seen a thread or two on here about removing some of the pad.  I think it was because of grabbing but might have been noise related too.  

Mine usually squeak the first and sometimes the second time I use them that day.  Then, no more squeak until next day.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 12/29/13 at 09:49:48

Rear brakes usually squeak because they are rusty or dirty.  If they steel part of the drum gets rusty, the rust is then transferred to the shoes when you use the brakes.  Take the rear wheel apart, use some sandpaper to clean the shoes and drum, clean off the dirt with brake cleaner, and clean and lube the shaft that passes through the hub.  Then put it all back together.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
NCSUindy09

Rollin'

Reply #8 - 12/29/13 at 10:08:03

Very helpful, thanks.

What about greasing the cam shaft? I think the manual says something about molybdenum disulfide grease.

Also the guy at the dealership says oil from your fingers is enough for sealing the plug cap. Is this true?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 12:21:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My winter hit list

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.