Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
A few more changes done... getting closer (Read 1542 times)
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
A few more changes done... getting closer
09/30/13 at 10:32:25

Slowly but surely getting the bike back to commuter duties. And yes the drum front wheel is a permanent conversion, my stock front wheel should arrive at forum member Chiguy's house today or tomorrow...

Ditched the apehangers for some Road King bars. Recovered the stock pan and the old ensolite after the leather dry rotted, only got 12 or 13 years out of the leather. Pegs swapped out for Panhead era half moon floorboards.

Still need to order my new throttle assembly and cable, clutch and brake perch/lever kits, a clutch cable... Buy a small tombstone handlebar mount windshield since I hate the shield to parallel the fork tubes, they need to be upright in order to work properly. Overhaul the carb, Versy mod (have the parts, may wrap up tomorrow), finish the wire clean up.

Here's how Pokey sits as of this morning... Straight out of the 1940s.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Re: A few more changes done... getting closer
Reply #1 - 09/30/13 at 10:55:56

The two of you will be commuting again in no time it seems!  Cheesy

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #2 - 09/30/13 at 18:00:04

Im liking the look. Cool

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #3 - 09/30/13 at 18:29:28

Demin wrote on 09/30/13 at 18:00:04:
Im liking the look. Cool

X2

I've just got to find a real rear fender! Looks so much more "finished" with the full fender WD! I like it!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 10/04/13 at 17:38:06

Carburetor is overhauled, with the smallest pair of jets out of a Lancer kit. New fuel line and filter ($16 from NAPA, ouch). Cam chain widget is swapped for the improved type (piece of cake to change out). Only engine issue is an oil leak out the stator cover, not a big deal, pull, regunk it, put back on tomorrow after work.

Need to pull the rear tire off the Intruder, it is wearing a 130/90-15. Have a new 140/90-15 but prefer the Savage's handling with a 130. So the Intruder can go back to a stock sized 140/90 Dunlop.

Need to use my 10% discount at Dime City Cycles to get my clutch and brake perch/lever set and throttle/grip set (if they have the correct ones). Otherwise going for period correct parts from LowBrow Customs. Cheap but work fine.

Back end is wired, bags are on. Need to yank the sealed 14Ah battery out of the Intruder and stab it into the Savage (after i pull and paint the battery box, the chrome has to go). Couple more weeks and it should be ridable.

Have an older Missouri plate on it right now for mock up purposes... Looks a lot nicer than a TN plate, wonder how many decades I can use it before they catch on that it isn't licensed for real...   Roll Eyes

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #5 - 10/04/13 at 18:44:05

Dang WD! It's amazing how much your scoot resembles the picture in my mind for the last year! Add an oversize sprung solo seat,a springer front and maybe a root beer/orange paint job and it'd what I've been thinking up.

Darn good job!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 10/04/13 at 19:47:57

Thanks. The springer for it is down at the chopper shop, trying to decide If i want to run a stock style or the one they have with twisted (and unfortunately chromed) front legs. Picked up a Road King police solo and mounting bracket, but it is going on the Drifter, looked ridiculous (and then some) on the Savage.

It is a cute little toy bike, isn't it... I have 2 that are even smaller that get close to double the fuel economy of the 650. And the 250 is just as quick, and within 9 mph on the top end. If I swap to 305 jugs and pistons, it will smoke the Savage and still get in the 80s mpg. Just not sure a TT bike and I will get along anymore. I'm pretty stove up these days.

I still have a similar fender off my VN800A, and the Indian Chief style bag set I had on it. Already saving up for another 800A at that. I can't stand Fat Bob or dirt bike style fenders.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #7 - 10/05/13 at 13:44:55

I was doing this one for my wife to use around town. Added the trunk at her request after putting one on the 950. Looks like we will both use it for a while when we heal from getting run over July 4th on the 950. Bike & trailer totaled.

The seat is from a 950. Very easy to modify to fit.
The bags are mounted on ghost brackets I made & come right off. Four bolts & the w/s comes off. The trunk is a bit harder but it wasn't factored into the original plan, which was stripping it down quickly if wanted. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 10/05/13 at 16:32:40

I like your diamond plate fender extension, may have to replicate that in steel (stainless preferably). Wonder how much I'd have to narrow the spare XS650 rear section to extend the Savage front fender into something a bit more useful...

Engine is still dripping oil. Said screw it the last couple days, took a break from the bike. Was ready to send a few 20g slugs through the engine. My preferred lever and perch combo is no longer available from any of my regular sources. Neither is the throttle assembly that comes with grips. Last set lasted me about 7 years.

Putting this thing back together is getting pricey, could have bought a clean used VN800A for what I'll end up at in the Savage this go round. Oh well, it's just funny looking paper...  Grin

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #9 - 10/05/13 at 19:58:11

Looking good WD.. Also I noticed you still
have the "Skat" ribbon on your tank.
So do I.. Thank you for that and again
nice job buddy.. Hugs to you and Lisa.. Smiley kim

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 10/05/13 at 20:13:10

I can't see any good reason to not keep it on the bike. And several very good reasons to keep it on there. Have to keep the forum at large's baby sister's memory going.

I still have the bracelets and the other magnet as well, they will be worked into it somewhere.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 10/06/13 at 04:59:55

Jeff, thought you might like this.  It was at the Okmulgee Chili Festival yesterday.  Yep, ya'll really missed it ... very cool with overcast and an occasional mist but a good fun day with plenty of free chili to sample.
A local Traditional Country Rock Band and, and, and ELVIS even dropped by !!!  Oh yea !!!  The KING himself.  He is still around and living a quiet life in Okmulgee.  He must be on Testosterone and Growth Hormone therapy though...looks really freaking good for his age.   Cheesy

My TROPHY wife.   Cool

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 10/06/13 at 13:38:45

Looks decent enough for an Evo powered bike. Would have been better with a nose cone Shovelhead, but not bad as is.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 10/20/13 at 16:04:15

Knucklehead-Panhead-Vincent style levers are installed. Have to get cables custom made, only one shop in a several county radius does them.

Switch plate is rough cut, mounted up, and switches installed. Stainless steel off a junk tailgate, needs to be rounded off and polished.

Ignition button harness is finished. Turn signal and headlight harnesses are 1/3 each done, tail/brake light is sorted out, ready to wire the rest of the way.

Emissions hose off the head cover is now rubber and ready to polish aluminum hard line.

Shifter assembly is pulled apart and ready to be replaced with modified Harley parts.

Grips are on, throttle sleeve from the old unit works perfectly with them.

Located the correct windshield last night, need to save up $103 (have 10% off code and free shipping anyway)...

Need to drop the forks out and repack the steering head bearings, plus drill and tap the headstock for zerk fittings. Going to pack the whole mess with grease... And drill/tap the shifter lever pivot eye, that hunk of junk is getting a grease fitting as well. Ditto the swingarm bushings.

Still need to order new fork boots. I hate the look of bare hydraulic front ends, boring...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #14 - 10/21/13 at 08:09:43

Sounds like your getting a good amount done   Smiley

I'm having trouble finding enough free time between work and the boy, looks like it'll be spring like I originally planned to have mine back on the road after tearing apart.....oh well  LOL   Grin

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 06:04:24

General CategoryThe Cafe › A few more changes done... getting closer

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.