Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 37
Send Topic Print
Dragon Run, Summer, 2014... (Read 5605 times)
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: Dragon Run, Summer, 2014...
Reply #105 - 11/13/13 at 16:01:19

Well, it was either make one or buy one, and I looked on ebay this evening and seen one going for 40 bucks so I bid and extra 5 bucks and won the auction, but it cost me 50 bucks for shipping, so for 90 bucks I have a truck tent (made for my truck), that was used one time. So I'll load it up in the truck, small canvas bag about 4ft long and 10" around, weighing in at 25lbs. Next year camping season is going to be fun, I'll be able to put the bikes in the back for the trip, drop them out, set up the tent and throw the queen sized air mattress inside...nice and comfy.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #106 - 11/13/13 at 16:33:43

Sounds like we are planning to base out of MM's and just run around a bit.  That's fine with me, I'll bring some toys and bust some berm and enjoy myself.

I told my wife about the trip and she strung me along for 2-3 hours making "oh what a wonderful idea" noises until I said, "Well, I guess we will stop by the motorcycle shop to try you on a few helmets to get your head size right".   Reality immediately set in, hell no she wasn't getting on the back of my motorcycle -- had I taken leave of my senses?

For those who like to think about things in a linear fashion MM's is on the west end of our range, the Dragon and the Knife Store is kinda sorta in the middle-ish section and Blue Ridge is to the far east end of the range.

MM would think of the entire range as "a good day trip" and as long as he planned enough stops and breaks this would be good.

Dave and I did Blue Ridge to the Dragon and then to the Knife store then back to the Blue Ridge along that twisty little road and it was more than enough of a day full for me.

Shocked

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #107 - 11/13/13 at 17:44:46

We are thinking more along the lines of headed to the west of MMR's place Jacksonville Tn and spend the night. Then the next morning head to Dukedom which will take 1.5 hours spend an hour there and head on to MMR's which is about 3.5 hrs, spend the weekend there and head on to the blue ridge the next week (tues.), and maybe ride to the dragon from the blue ridge.

Since the rally is sat., we would like to at least do that, how far is the jack Daniel's distillery? maybe do it Monday? You get me to that knife store and the wife will use what I buy to hack me to pieces! so to the dragon and back would be ok for me, just want the wife to be able to say she rode the dragon on her own and it will be a slow ride.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #108 - 11/14/13 at 04:20:17

The Dragon is best ridden weekdays if you want less traffic.

For me the Dragon is nearest my home....so riding it toward the end of the trip gets me closer to home.  I would most likely be taking my bike to MM's in a trailer, and when we pick up and move I will probably load up for the move....I just don't have storage space on my bike.  I could haul peoples extra gear in my trailer during moves.....but I would not be going back to MM's on the return...so I could not haul extra gear back.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #109 - 11/14/13 at 14:45:23

Ok, smite me if I'm goin' a bit far MMR, or if it will place too much of a burden on ya. But if we are showing up on sat., spend sun., mon. there, are we all going to go to Lynchburg for meals or how bout we do some cookin' there?

Everyone bringin' their own eats to grill, or what ever? bring our own supplies?

Maybe we can throw together for a big dinner type cookout each day? If'n MMR has a grill??  Or maybe we could bring one....

Could toss some coin into the pot for a big buy on some burgers or chops or steaks? Any Costco folks? Sam's?

Just askin', cause I remember the blue ridge only served meals on certain days and times. So we are prepairing for that..... just that I haven't "camped" out in awhile, even tho I have most of the stuff for campin'.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #110 - 11/14/13 at 16:33:59

The endlessly mutable trip ......     Grin

Old_rider, you need to be saying both dates and weekdays when you say all these Mondays and Tuesdays as the very last trip version post poll didn't have any of them in it at all ......

Grin    

Not that I mind, mind you, just so I show up on the right date at MM's I am golden for pretty much whatever happens.   It isn't like we don't roll changes on the fly as pretty much the normal thing once we get off together on these trips .....   but once all us working boys spit on getting our vacation days we are locked in to them.

Ain't done that yet, of course, so we are still a "planning" away.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #111 - 11/14/13 at 17:43:39

Was planning on hitting MMR on fri. night, then bike rally first, that was sat.? sunday, Monday,Tue that would be four days there.....

wed,thur,fri,sat  next at Blueridge leave out sun so four days each place, unless we thin it out a bit...

Could make it shorter, like Dave said the best time to ride is during the week, so we could spend sat. (bike rally) sun. & mon. MMR planned outtings, then head to blue ridge and spend tue getting there and do wed, thur, fri at blue ridge and beat the crowds since it fills up on the weekend

Wife was wanting to take about 9-10 days, so we could maybe do a couple nights on the spur of the moment...heheh...romantic like....

I'll keep watching the thread Smiley

Reason i'm leaving out dates is I could swap one week for the next.... its just two blocks of time...

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #112 - 11/14/13 at 21:15:32

Well

how far is the jack Daniel's distillery?

Me and Jack live in the same town  !    The folks here are smart enough to make it , but not dum enough to drink it !  Grin Grin Grin

Really  Roll Eyes
you have to go to the next county (any-direction) to buy the stuff .

I'm set-up to handle outdoor cooking for a groop size of 20-30 eassy.   My back deck has a grill on it big enough for 26 hambugers at a time , and its tied to the 500 gallon fuel tank.  The fire pit has seating for about 10 before we start moving lawnchairs around and thats not counting the sitting rail around the goldfish pond (thats another 6-8) "not smart to sit there and cosume alcholic beverages"  Oh ;  and the pick-nick table is right there too it seats 8 adults.

We have a grocery store with-in 5 miles that cuts there own meat and sell ground 85% for Krogers price , last week the meat departments sale item was "full rack ribs for $2.18 lb"  ... so ... $3.50 a head would have gotten us :  
Salad
Baked Tater
1# of ribs each
Desert would have to Jello after eating all that !  Grin

Just bring a cot and a sleeping bag guys !  Cool

Towns 5 miles away;   Subway ,BBQ Caboos, Iron Kettle home cooking,Wooders Delli and Grocery Store , and all the Jack Dainels gift store stuff you'll ever seen ,  Thursday -Sunday Lynchburg Choppers is open , and Saturday morning the local radio station does their show live from the BBQ place (Owner Plays a lot too).  Yea you guessed it , "I live in a tourest town! Wink"

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #113 - 11/16/13 at 09:01:17

Anybody have anywhere special to go or see ?

I was thinking ...   Huh

One day might ? include ...

Ride through AEDC AirBase (Airplane displays * 2places)
Old 41 Hwy up MonEagle mountain (Black-line)
A ride around Swannie Collage and go see the Catheradial there
Then Down the  mountain to Sherwood (black-line)
Over to South Pitsburg (Lodge Cast Iron Factory Store), There is a spot there you can stand in two time Zones and Three states at the same time.  Geo-cashing place
Either go up the other side of Sherwood Mountain (Black-line) or Down to "BigDaddys Gun store" in north Alabama. ???  Undecided
Mabby GPS "Shortest" route home from where ever  Cheesy and let the roads supprise us !  Grin Kinda like the CornField maze in west Tn. did ! Roll Eyes

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #114 - 11/17/13 at 16:16:20

MM, we can trust you to have more planned to do than we possibly can do.  This has always been true on all the trips.

That takes care of the scoot part, now we will talk a bit about the shoot part.

What sort of calibers are you guys bringing?  Be specific, I am looking to see if I already happen to have ammo to support what you bring.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #115 - 11/17/13 at 21:35:52

Well Fellers

Let me tell ya what kinda targets I have.  

3/16" steel plate of "Iron Turkey(chicken,pig,turkey,ram) regulation size" 1 set pistol , 1 set rifle (22-32/<1500fps) home made

small bore spinner factory  (22's and pellets)

1/2 " steel plate 3" and 5" circle swing type targets (home made) mounted on iron fence post (38/357/40S&W)

1/2" hardened steel milkjug (store bought) up to 45-70/30-30 soft point .  22LR woin't even wiggle it.

Target frame for 1/2 sheet of foam board (open for anything ) ,long as you stay in the foam and off the frame  Wink

two deer size 1/4" steel plates up on a hill at 250 and 350 yds.  I kinda weld up the holes as they get poke in them .   A 30-30 -170gr wheel/weight /will poke thruough at 250 yds.  so will a AK.

LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #116 - 11/18/13 at 02:14:57

Saw this Garmin ad in Cycle World.
Grab hold of that tail ! ! !
Grin  Grin  Grin

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #117 - 11/18/13 at 06:58:15

OK MM, what rifle-ish calibers will you be a shooting at them there targets?   So far I just hear 30-30 ....

Describe your cartridges, them bullet tipped brass thangs, so I can try to bring some of the same.  

Ammo is scarce, so it would be nice to have some to shoot.

I won't be poking holes in your steel, 'cepting that 350 yard deer-like booger may take some light SMK damage to the haid bone.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #118 - 11/18/13 at 14:30:56

LANCER wrote on 11/18/13 at 02:14:57:
Saw this Garmin ad in Cycle World.
Grab hold of that tail ! ! !
Grin  Grin  Grin

http://images1.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv4389%3Dot%3...

big red x for "don't push no FN buttons and hang on"   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #119 - 11/18/13 at 15:03:01

I just updated my Garmin.....and it now turns every trip into a curvy adventure!  A few days ago instead of turning left and getting onto the expressway at a light.....the Garmin wanted me to go down the street a 1/4 mile, turn into a shopping center and make a 180 degree turn on the frontage road.....then come back and make a "right" turn onto the expressway.  If I had not known that area and new that the Garmin was just being foolish....I might have followed those bogus directions.  A few weeks ago it had my wife running around an endless loop...and about the third lap she figured out that she best just go in the general direction she thought she should go and let the Gamin do some "re-calculating".

I like my Gamin.....but since the update it has me worried.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 37
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:42:33

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dragon Run, Summer, 2014...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.