Send Topic Print
boosting the thumper (Read 5206 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: boosting the thumper
Reply #135 - 04/09/15 at 05:31:09

Have you considered maybe making the timing variable.?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #136 - 04/09/15 at 14:48:13

Dave: yeah I have thought about water injection but.. not seriously. Too complicated really. Also, eveytime I've seen someone do a garage water injection system it's been a disaster! Ha ha.

Justin: Any ideas how I would do that?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #137 - 04/09/15 at 23:29:21

I'm not sure that it's ever been done.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #138 - 04/10/15 at 03:18:59

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/09/15 at 05:31:09:
Have you considered maybe making the timing variable.?

I have never seen it made variable - but I have seen it made adjustable.

One fellow backed his timing off a bit by making the mounting holes for the stator slotted....so he could rotate the plate a small bit.  I am wondering if this is a worthwhile modification for those of us who have a higher compression Wiseco.  (I am going to try this once I have the GPS speedometer mounted so I can compared 0-60 and 1/4 miles times before and after).

Backing the timing off a degree or two (or three) could help when under full boost...while not having a negative effect while cruising.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
dustin1455
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #139 - 04/29/15 at 19:30:26

hey savagebob, after installing the supercharger how did you did you adjust the engine for the extra boost? did you change the valve springs? what are the specs of the cam you use?

also, do you have pics of the drive pulley setup? i am interested in possibly putting a supercharger on my savage in the future and i am curious how you did it.

did you ever solve the "oil leak" problem? have you considered using an output shaft seal?

IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #140 - 11/10/15 at 19:33:55

The engine is stock.. no mods needed. (yet  Wink ) I removed all the stuff I could to try and max airflow for cooling. It works fine boosting around town. On a open-road trip it detonated a bit as I think it just got too hot. I started putting tolley into my fuel to see if that helps. Maybe it's a town warrior. It's actually been parked up for most of the year while I moved house etc. I got a new intake manifold made for it but haven't had time to run it yet.

The oil leak.. nah..  fixed it by carrying around a wee block of wood and when I park up the bike I put the stand on it so the bike sits more upright. That way the oil doesn't seep out. I used a sealed bearing but they are really sealed against dust.. grease.. not hot oil.

I'll look into an output shaft seal - might work but there isn't much room there for one.

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #141 - 11/10/15 at 19:57:54

This truly remarkable, very interesting and down right imaginative. Thanks for giving us a window into your progress. Just Awesome! Cool

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
vanna_brown
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #142 - 01/23/17 at 17:46:59

Hey SB, so, I can find the super chargers on eBay but I don't know where I would start to look for fabricating the shaft and bearing combo can you give me some more info on how you made those.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #143 - 01/23/17 at 17:53:25

Savagebob has not signed onto this site since November 2015.

Building your own supercharger setup is not easy, and not something that most beginning mechanics should undertake....in addition to the problems of getting the mechanical parts to work....the carb and timing are all problematic.

It is much easier (and proven reliable) to increase the compression with a Wiseco piston, increase the breathing ability with a cam and some head work, and a better exhaust system.  With some simple engine mods you can get the Savage engine to make enough HP to challenge the chassis and brakes, and become a pretty decent bike for 70+ mph highway travel.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #144 - 01/24/17 at 11:34:17

Dave, forgive my ignorance but you just mentioned something I have heard before but never understood. "make enough HP to challenge the chassis and brakes". I understand challenging the brakes, but not the chassis. What are the issues with putting too much hp and speed on the bike? Thanks.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #145 - 01/24/17 at 12:02:12

When pushed hard, the Savage can get a bit wiggly in the sweepers.  I don't claim to know what is flexing or moving around, and I am far more comfortable on really tight turns than I am on high speed sweepers - but the Savage does not have a frame like the Norton Featherbed that inspires confidence while riding at speed.....it does have limitations.  Most of the time the scraping footpegs serve as the limiting factor in how hard you can push the Savage in the corners....and the lack of HP limits the speed on the straight sections.

The hardest I have ever pushed my bike was when we were riding on the Dragon with your brother in law Steve.  It was the first year with my big front brake from Shawn, and when I was really braking hard, I could feel the bike wiggling/trembling as the weight shifted to the front wheel.  That may be one of the reasons that performance bikes have dual discs up front....to keep the forks from twisting under hard braking!

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #146 - 01/24/17 at 15:08:12

OK, I think I understand. I guess it is basically the rigidity of the frame. I have not pushed the bike that hard but I see what you mean. Thanks.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #147 - 01/24/17 at 18:19:06

Dave wrote on 01/24/17 at 12:02:12:
 That may be one of the reasons that performance bikes have dual discs up front....to keep the forks from twisting under hard braking!

Nah, they are for slowing you down quickly. Cheaper versions of the same bike will sometimes feature only 1 front brake. They still stop straight. The massive front forks, beefy headstem and beam or triangulated frames stop the squirming. None of which the mighty Cabbage is blessed with.

IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #148 - 04/20/17 at 15:27:49

Dave wrote on 01/23/17 at 17:53:25:
Savagebob has not signed onto this site since November 2015.

Building your own supercharger setup is not easy, and not something that most beginning mechanics should undertake....in addition to the problems of getting the mechanical parts to work....the carb and timing are all problematic.

It is much easier (and proven reliable) to increase the compression with a Wiseco piston, increase the breathing ability with a cam and some head work, and a better exhaust system.  With some simple engine mods you can get the Savage engine to make enough HP to challenge the chassis and brakes, and become a pretty decent bike for 70+ mph highway travel.

Has it been that long?! Wow.. um sorry! Jeez 32 messages.. sorry people.

BTW I'm not a mechanic or an engineer. I'm a graphic designer. And I managed to build a supercharged savage.

I can probably supply basic kits if anyone is interested. It would consist of the shaft and a bearing. You'd need to machine out your cover plate for the bearing.. find the supercharger.. and everything else. It is a lot of work.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #149 - 04/20/17 at 17:11:38

Where have you been dude ?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13