Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bike will only run on prime (Read 295 times)
strathken
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

ayr / scotland
Re: Bike will only run on prime
Reply #15 - 12/20/14 at 13:43:38

i should have mentioned in my earlier post that i completely removed the vacuum hose and blocked off both ends so that there is no chance of fuel getting into the engine oil.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 12/20/14 at 14:16:23

Well, I have to say, that is an interesting concept, but, the gas isn't strictly prohibited from going down into the oil that way. If the carb float doesn't shut off, then, well,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #17 - 12/20/14 at 21:33:02

strathken wrote on 12/20/14 at 13:43:38:
i should have mentioned in my earlier post that i completely removed the vacuum hose and blocked off both ends so that there is no chance of fuel getting into the engine oil.

That do make it a little safer, I just figured I'd do it right, once, and not have to worry about it

IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 12/26/14 at 11:45:48

Dave wrote on 12/20/14 at 04:10:28:
strathken wrote on 12/20/14 at 03:24:40:
Cooli am scottish..and therefore known for being tight with our cash..so, let me say the bike will run fine on prime..just remember to fill tank every 100 miles.

The petcock is most likely failing as a result of the diaphragm going bad, and eventually the diaphragm is going to decompose enough to let fuel flow down the vacuum line and into the intake port.  When that happens the fuel leaks past the rings and goes down into the crankcase and dilutes the oil.

Several times a year on this forum we have folks posting about the smoke coming from the exhaust, the air filter and filter box being soaked with fuel, and the bike bogging down and not running right.  The end result is the petcock has failed and filled the crankcase up with gasoline.

Listen and heed this sage advice - save yourself the unnecessary grief and embarassment. The stock petcock is crap. My 2012 did the same thing after 1000 miles. New ones are no better. Get the Yamaha Raptor 660 petcock. Easiest, most effective mod I've made. Plug the vacuum port on the carb, too.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/21/24 at 05:20:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike will only run on prime

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.