What do you think? (Read 398 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
What do you think?
04/21/13 at 08:58:33

What transpired this last week in Boston affirms to me that mankind will surrender his freedom for a sense of security......
Surveillance is very easy to justify, doubly so with such a swift outcome, but what price are we willing to pay, for it?
Evil will always be present with us, we can never avoid it, but I fear man thinks he can conquer it. Can you grasp smoke in your fist?
Are we willing to go even further than gun registration, registering ourselves with a national identification mark to reign in those who capitalize on evil manifested?
Would you surrender to the idea if we remove currency (and plastic money) from circulation on our bodies, banks, businesses, etc, we remove the temptation, and motivation, from thugs?
By standardizing our identification globally, could it not be used for all commerce, and security (walking through randomly placed scanners in our daily lives) which would isolate those who would try and circumvent the system for ill gains, or.....????
Could a chip, and eye scan, solve most, if not all, fraud and abuses visited on us by those who bring evil intent into our lives?

Does this give you any concern?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: What do you think?
Reply #1 - 04/21/13 at 09:01:17

I'm still in awe at how like a Heinlein novel society has become already. It does not need to become more so.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 04/21/13 at 09:24:41

It is a bit creepy,... but, in a public place, where you have no expectation of privacy, I think it's just an extension of community awareness... ..(I try to avoid nose picking, and butt scratchin' out there anyway)...

As far as ID's go... We mostly all do have Drivers licenses, and credit cards, by choice....

As an example of the public paranoia... many people block the plate number of their bike in online photo's... (I've done it myself a few times, but in other pic's I didn't, so that was useless on my part)...
... but,.. we ride around all day, with our plate showing anyway, so what's the point?...
If someone with bad intentions wants to find you by your plate number,... a person in your town is much more dangerous than someone a thousand miles away...
Personally,... I think cell phones are most dangerous monitoring devices... They can know everywhere you've been and everyone you've spoken to..  
... on the other hand,.. they can find you, if you need help...
I guess we're just evolving into more public, social beings...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #3 - 04/21/13 at 09:32:57

Serowbot wrote on 04/21/13 at 09:24:41:
Huh..

Um....your used evolving as an explanation, how so?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 04/21/13 at 09:42:22

Boston if anything else should emphasize security is in the hands of the people, not law enforcement.  Cameras don't provide security, they allow leo's to figure out who did what and bring them to justice.

At best, computers can ID likely perp's and summon leo's to the area for additional surveillance.

This would be of no help for 1st time lone wolf types.

You already carry an ID chip... it's called a cell phone.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 04/21/13 at 09:57:02

As an example of the public paranoia... many people block the plate number of their bike in online photo's... (I've done it myself a few times, but in other pic's I didn't, so that was useless on my part)...
... but,.. we ride around all day, with our plate showing anyway, so what's the point?...
If someone with bad intentions wants to find you by your plate number,... a person in your town is much more dangerous than someone a thousand miles away...

the point is, on line, you brag about your bike/car/wateva, you've put this big buck mod on, (with our bike it would be solid gold engine covers) you don't want to tell anyone where it is.  that's like hiding a wad of money under the front seat of your car vs. going on facebook and saying you got a wad of money in your pocket.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 04/21/13 at 10:09:29

raydawg wrote on 04/21/13 at 09:32:57:
Huh..

Just like we evolved from beings that could carry their lives on their backs,... to beings that need 3,000sqft of space to hold their stuff...
... and beings that lived their lives within 30 miles of their birth,... to beings that think nothing of going 50 miles for dinner,.. or a thousand to visit a friend, or take holiday...
Expecting to be treated fairly is a relatively new concept, that we now, take for granted...
We even have people that we consider friends here on this site,...
...that we've never met...Huh...

And with all that,... we're still just monkeys in clothes... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 04/21/13 at 10:18:00

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #8 - 04/21/13 at 10:34:54

Serowbot wrote on 04/21/13 at 10:09:29:
raydawg wrote on 04/21/13 at 09:32:57:
Huh..

Just like we evolved from beings that could carry their lives on their backs,... to beings that need 3,000sqft of space to hold their stuff...
... and beings that lived their lives within 30 miles of their birth,... to beings that think nothing of going 50 miles for dinner,.. or a thousand to visit a friend, or take holiday...
Expecting to be treated fairly is a relatively new concept, that we now, take for granted...
We even have people that we consider friends here on this site,...
...that we've never met...Huh...

And with all that,... we're still just monkeys in clothes... Grin...

Uh....in my case, speedo  Kiss

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #9 - 04/21/13 at 10:36:19

verslagen1 wrote on 04/21/13 at 09:42:22:
Boston if anything else should emphasize security is in the hands of the people, not law enforcement.  Cameras don't provide security, they allow leo's to figure out who did what and bring them to justice.

At best, computers can ID likely perp's and summon leo's to the area for additional surveillance.

This would be of no help for 1st time lone wolf types.

You're right in theory, but its the phone they identify, not the user. It could be stolen.....

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #10 - 04/21/13 at 10:36:45

apache snow-FSO wrote on 04/21/13 at 10:18:00:
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Thomas Jefferson?

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #11 - 04/21/13 at 10:41:21

Some say Ben Franklin but most likely Thomas Jefferson.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #12 - 04/21/13 at 10:51:33

verslagen1 wrote:

Quote:

I don't know if this is true or not, but I've been told that there is a backdoor built into the newest cell phones that allows law enforcement-gov. to actually turn them on remotely without the owner being aware, and use them them to listen in on conversations in the vicinity of the phone. A remote control bug of sorts.

I know, and accept, that nothing I say online or on my phone is ever really private, but thinking that my phone could be spying on me when I think it's OFF is pretty creepy.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 04/21/13 at 11:11:14

That's why you pull the battery out when you don't need the phone. Or is that just me... I also do not (and will not) use text messaging, the internet over the cell system, instant messaging, etc.

I find it truly amusing that the National Archives are preserving everything that goes through Twitter "for posterity"... Grin  My wife mentioned it to me, I haven't looked it up since I don't care. If somebody is dumb enough to use it, and says something stupid, sucks for them...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #14 - 04/21/13 at 14:14:56

It is a bit creepy,... but, in a public place, where you have no expectation of privacy, I think it's just an extension of community awareness... ..(I try to avoid nose picking, and butt scratchin' out there anyway)...

But they are not just in public spaces...  www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LrbsUVSVl8

This stuff is scary.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 23:36:10

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › What do you think?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.