Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
How is gun powder made ? (Read 169 times)
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

How is gun powder made ?
04/15/13 at 06:08:13

Yes I have been told it is made with bat guano etc etc ...

OK yes its made with guano, however, bullets use not gun powder, but smokeless gun powder. Using gun powder will in a few shots cover the shooter to the point where he cant see. Worse yet, it will leave tons of deposits in the gun and needs to be cleaned every few shots. Sooner with worse gun powder.

Smokeless is going to not leave deposits, not have clouds of smoke preventing vision etc etc. OK so what's the big deal, its made with smokeless ... except, smokeless is made with not bat guano. Its not made with any animal excrement. It needs concentrated nitric acid which you soak in cotton, and go through a whole process. Nitric acid is already hard to find, its an industrial raw material, like sulphuric acid ...

Not possible with guano without a full on chemical factory @ your disposal.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: How is gun powder made ?
Reply #1 - 04/15/13 at 15:51:01

Gun cotton? As in the middle propellant layer in heavy artillery and naval shells?

Modern military/sporting small arms ammunition hasn't been nitrocellulose based in several decades...

You can use a solution leached from bat guano to make actual gun powder... But why? All you need is sulfur (easy to get), salt peter (any drugstore, ask the pharmacist) and hardwood (preferably willow or alder) charcoal.

Dirtier than smokeless? depends on the blend, the charcoal varietal used, and the grind of powder you shoot. FFFg burns pretty clean.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #2 - 04/15/13 at 16:40:30

Why are you asking us when you know everything?

As too full labs, some people think you need a full lab to cook meth.  Others improvise.  http://www.sportsgrid.com/golf/golf-course-meth-lab-in-port-a-pott/

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 04/15/13 at 17:10:01

houstonbofh wrote on 04/15/13 at 16:40:30:

As too full labs, some people think you need a full lab to cook meth.  Others improvise.  http://www.sportsgrid.com/golf/golf-course-meth-lab-in-port-a-pott/

No one is asking you anything. It was just pointing out your "guano" doesn't hold up. I know better than to trust something anyone here says without confirming it via google.

BTW JOG would love your meth lab analogy much like he loved mine ... and yes we'll improvise, and soon we'll have guns that explode with the second bullet. The first thing that will happen when we hit the $100 tax on bullets, we will have a run on guano.

WD - what is used in bullet propellant, its gun cotton or something mixed with gun cotton, charcoal and sulphur.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 04/16/13 at 06:53:44

WD wrote on 04/15/13 at 15:51:01:
Gun cotton? As in the middle propellant layer in heavy artillery and naval shells?

Modern military/sporting small arms ammunition hasn't been nitrocellulose based in several decades...

You can use a solution leached from bat guano to make actual gun powder... But why? All you need is sulfur (easy to get), salt peter (any drugstore, ask the pharmacist) and hardwood (preferably willow or alder) charcoal.

Dirtier than smokeless? depends on the blend, the charcoal varietal used, and the grind of powder you shoot. FFFg burns pretty clean.

That's the whole crux of that argument WD - I was saying when we hit bullets with a $100 per tax, we'd also restrict the components needed to make bullets. You wont be able to buy salt petre ...

The response from rfw was that you use bat guano to make bullet propellant. I didn't get the time to research that so seriously till yesterday.

So, I basically said, you can make gun powder that way, but gun powder isn't used in bullets - you can, but it will clog up the gun pretty fast. You cant rain down bullets cos after 3-4 the gun has to be cleaned.

You need smokeless gun powder.

OK to your point - My googling showed me bullets use smokeless gun powder as propellant. They said that is made by using 1-2 or 3 base - gun cotton, and nitro-glycerine etc etc.

We choke off the supply of these - all of them are factory made, and we wont have bullets - well we can still fill em with gun powder harvested from urine - but you cant rain them cos they would burn dirty and you need to clean it out after 3-4.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #5 - 04/16/13 at 09:25:38

srinath wrote on 04/16/13 at 06:53:44:
WD wrote on 04/15/13 at 15:51:01:

That's the whole crux of that argument WD - I was saying when we hit bullets with a $100 per tax, we'd also restrict the components needed to make bullets. You wont be able to buy salt petre ...

The response from rfw was that you use bat guano to make bullet propellant. I didn't get the time to research that so seriously till yesterday.

So, I basically said, you can make gun powder that way, but gun powder isn't used in bullets - you can, but it will clog up the gun pretty fast. You cant rain down bullets cos after 3-4 the gun has to be cleaned.

You need smokeless gun powder.

OK to your point - My googling showed me bullets use smokeless gun powder as propellant. They said that is made by using 1-2 or 3 base - gun cotton, and nitro-glycerine etc etc.

We choke off the supply of these - all of them are factory made, and we wont have bullets - well we can still fill em with gun powder harvested from urine - but you cant rain them cos they would burn dirty and you need to clean it out after 3-4.

Cool.
Srinath.

I never said anything about using bat crap to make gun powder. I was talking about black powder and yes it does leave a mess in the gun unless you grind it up to a very fine powder like fffg type then it's pretty clean.

black powder is just salt peter, sulphur and wood charcoal.  All of which you can buy really easily, at least in my area.  Heck the wood charcoal you can even make yourself.

As far as making smokeless powders (btw they aren't really smokeless and they do leave a powder residue in the barrel just like fine black powder does) here is a site that describes what it takes to do it

http://gunpowder-chem.wikispaces.com/Smokeless+Gunpowder+

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #6 - 04/16/13 at 11:28:34

srinath wrote on 04/15/13 at 17:10:01:
houstonbofh wrote on 04/15/13 at 16:40:30:

No one is asking you anything. It was just pointing out your "guano" doesn't hold up. I know better than to trust something anyone here says without confirming it via google.

Did you look at the title of your thread?  Sure looks like a question to me...  And you have yet to prove that Guano does not hold up.  It is how you make saltpeter...

And of course everything you find on google is true...  Unless I find it, then you call it a biased source.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #7 - 04/16/13 at 11:32:58

Biggest problem with Black Powder vs. smokeless is that the residue left in the gun from Black Powder absorbs moisture from the air and will cause rust in a matter of hours if not removed. A lot of the normal cleaning solvents used for modern firearms don't do a good job on Black powder residue either. Most of us that shoot Black powder firearms use hot soapy water,then plain hot water -then oil.

You don't really have to clean a gun that only uses smokeless powder every time you shoot it. The powder residue won't harm anything till it builds up to the point that it starts to cause malfunctions. If you don't clean a Back powder gun pretty much as soon as you are done shooting it, you'll have a rusted up piece of junk in pretty short order.

For hunters or re-enactors the smoke is not really an issue. That was only a problem in large military engagements with hundreds or thousands of people shooting at each other. After the first couple of volleys nobody could see a doggone thing. Inconvenient for the Generals trying to direct the battle, but not such a bad deal for the foot soildiers who were probably just fine with being invisible.

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #8 - 04/16/13 at 11:39:34

Quote:

SWEET JESUS!!! I am suspending my ignore Srinath rule for a few minutes, I read one of his posts by accident and I remember why I started ignoring him in the first place. Everyone, please stop helping this guy make a fool of himself!!!

Seriously, your idea is to outlaw Potassium Nitrate?? A naturally occuring byproduct of bats?? You are going to outlaw bats?

What about corned beef that uses Potassium Nitrate?
What about Sausage that uses Potassium Nitrate?
What about Sensodyne Toothpaste that uses Potassium Nitrate?
What about fertilizer that uses Potassium Nitrate?
What about stump removal products that uses Potassium Nitrate?
What about Potassium Nitrate made from other countries?
What about rust inhibitors that uses Potassium Nitrate?
What about the Gemasolar Thermosolar Plant that uses Potassium Nitrate?
What about condensed aerosol fire suppression systems that uses Potassium Nitrate?

You are going to outlaw charcoal too? Just outlaw trees, that's as good an idea as anything you have said.

All this in an effort to strip citizens of their civil rights!! Because, we sure can trust the government to give back a bullet when we use a bullet to protect ourselves. Have you been to the DMV?? Unbelievable!!!

I will be reading these forums much slower so as not to have foolishness accidentally come into contact with my retinas. The time it took to write this was not worth the effort of destroying this buffoonery.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 04/16/13 at 11:45:06

rfw2003 wrote on 04/16/13 at 09:25:38:
I never said anything about using bat crap to make gun powder. I was talking about black powder and yes it does leave a mess in the gun unless you grind it up to a very fine powder like fffg type then it's pretty clean.

R.F.

Oooo OK so you're backing away form the bat crap now ... OK smart man.

Your own link says this -

The new smokeless gunpowder is composed of nitroglycerin to dissolve the nitrocellulose for a more powerful burst and are more stable which is called double base powder. The original smokeless gunpowder is called single-base powder. There is also a third type called triple-base powder which adds some nitroguandine to suppress the flash or burning gas coming from burning the powder

None of those are in the realm of the home meth lab.

And no RFW I am not saying your googling is bad - I just like to google things myself.

OldNslow wrote: Biggest problem with Black Powder vs. smokeless is that the residue left in the gun from Black Powder absorbs moisture from the air and will cause rust in a matter of hours if not removed.

That may be 1 problem, the second is the lack of muzzle velocity. Gun powder vs smokeless - from the link Rfw listed - Since his invention it has got ridden of the smoke cloud problem and is 3x more powerful than black powder

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #10 - 04/16/13 at 11:45:15

oldNslow wrote on 04/16/13 at 11:32:58:
Biggest problem with Black Powder vs. smokeless is that the residue left in the gun from Black Powder absorbs moisture from the air and will cause rust in a matter of hours if not removed. A lot of the normal cleaning solvents used for modern firearms don't do a good job on Black powder residue either. Most of us that shoot Black powder firearms use hot soapy water,then plain hot water -then oil.

You don't really have to clean a gun that only uses smokeless powder every time you shoot it. The powder residue won't harm anything till it builds up to the point that it starts to cause malfunctions. If you don't clean a Back powder gun pretty much as soon as you are done shooting it, you'll have a rusted up piece of junk in pretty short order.

For hunters or re-enactors the smoke is not really an issue. That was only a problem in large military engagements with hundreds or thousands of people shooting at each other. After the first couple of volleys nobody could see a doggone thing. Inconvenient for the Generals trying to direct the battle, but not such a bad deal for the foot soildiers who were probably just fine with being invisible.

I clean my guns after every shooting session period, and if they go awhile without being shot I clean and re-oil every few months just to make sure I don't get any rust on them.

Yes I do realize that black powder is hygroscopic but with the way I am about cleaning my firearms it wouldn't matter if I had to resort to using black powder as a charge instead of smokeless. And yes I know that black powder also has a lower power then smokeless as well, but for the most part in self defense it's fairly close counter so it wouldn't matter.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #11 - 04/16/13 at 11:55:24

srinath wrote on 04/16/13 at 11:45:06:

The new smokeless gunpowder is composed of nitroglycerin to dissolve the nitrocellulose for a more powerful burst and are more stable which is called double base powder. The original smokeless gunpowder is called single-base powder. There is also a third type called triple-base powder which adds some nitroguandine to suppress the flash or burning gas coming from burning the powder

And no RFW I am not saying your googling is bad - I just like to google things myself.

OldNslow wrote: Biggest problem with Black Powder vs. smokeless is that the residue left in the gun from Black Powder absorbs moisture from the air and will cause rust in a matter of hours if not removed.

That may be 1 problem, the second is the lack of muzzle velocity. Gun powder vs smokeless - from the link Rfw listed - Since his invention it has got ridden of the smoke cloud problem and is 3x more powerful than black powder

Cool.
Srinath.

Srinath recheck all my posts,  I never said anything about bat crap at all. So I'm not backing away from it because I never said anything about it period.

Yes smokeless powder is out of the realm of alot of people to make, but there are those that can,  I for one could easily set up a small lab to be able to make it.  I have made gun cotton before just to play with.  I have also made nitroglycerin before, but I was scared out of my mind during the whole process wondering if I was going to blow myself up.  Just one of those things you do when you younger and not as wise I guess.  I love all things that go boom, I just limit myself now to firearms and flash powder based explosives on a small scale, but bigger then cherry bombs and real M80's.  I do have sources to get alot of the chemicals to make lots of stuff that is outlawed to get, it's not that hard to find them. You just have to know what your doing or your gonna have a really bad day.

R.F.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 04/16/13 at 12:25:52

houstonbofh wrote on 04/05/13 at 21:09:33:
srinath wrote on 04/05/13 at 07:46:15:
We will still not let all the rest of it, the powder, the primer everything will be restricted.

And just how do you plan to regulate bat crap and sulfur?  (Not to mention charcoal?)

Correct, not you, you were actively in that thread posting about McVeigh - but it was Houstonbofh.
My apologies RFW.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #13 - 04/16/13 at 12:36:05

Dane Allen wrote on 04/16/13 at 11:39:34:
Quote:

SWEET JESUS!!! I am suspending my ignore Srinath rule for a few minutes, I read one of his posts by accident and I remember why I started ignoring him in the first place. Everyone, please stop helping this guy make a fool of himself!!!

Seriously, your idea is to outlaw Potassium Nitrate?? A naturally occuring byproduct of bats?? You are going to outlaw bats?

What about corned beef that uses Potassium Nitrate?
What about Sausage that uses Potassium Nitrate?
What about Sensodyne Toothpaste that uses Potassium Nitrate?
What about fertilizer that uses Potassium Nitrate?
What about stump removal products that uses Potassium Nitrate?
What about Potassium Nitrate made from other countries?
What about rust inhibitors that uses Potassium Nitrate?
What about the Gemasolar Thermosolar Plant that uses Potassium Nitrate?
What about condensed aerosol fire suppression systems that uses Potassium Nitrate?

You are going to outlaw charcoal too? Just outlaw trees, that's as good an idea as anything you have said.

All this in an effort to strip citizens of their civil rights!! Because, we sure can trust the government to give back a bullet when we use a bullet to protect ourselves. Have you been to the DMV?? Unbelievable!!!

I will be reading these forums much slower so as not to have foolishness accidentally come into contact with my retinas. The time it took to write this was not worth the effort of destroying this buffoonery.

Potassium nitrate is manufactured, in fact its not even made mainly from bat crap, it is mined. Potash mines - horrible - they cause sink holes.
Bullets are loaded with nitrocellulose - not possible to make without a factory.

Manufactured = controlled. The bloody ephedrine was out and we reined it back in.
You can theorise what is this or that ... OK just dont say the govt wont work cos govt is inefficient.

The DMV is bloody good @ charging people and handing out bits of paper. That was their main function. You call cops on a dead guy, they'd write you up a charge and they go to a judge on the spot - the judge decides if you get to stay home that day or get dragged to the police station. You may have to get the bullets back on your court date after your trial. Maybe you shot the cable guy. In which case you dont get bullets, you get 15 years.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #14 - 04/16/13 at 14:03:17

rfw2003 wrote on 04/16/13 at 11:55:24:
srinath wrote on 04/16/13 at 11:45:06:

Cool.
Srinath.

Srinath recheck all my posts,  I never said anything about bat crap at all. So I'm not backing away from it because I never said anything about it period.

Yes smokeless powder is out of the realm of alot of people to make, but there are those that can,  I for one could easily set up a small lab to be able to make it.  I have made gun cotton before just to play with.  I have also made nitroglycerin before, but I was scared out of my mind during the whole process wondering if I was going to blow myself up.  Just one of those things you do when you younger and not as wise I guess.  I love all things that go boom, I just limit myself now to firearms and flash powder based explosives on a small scale, but bigger then cherry bombs and real M80's.  I do have sources to get alot of the chemicals to make lots of stuff that is outlawed to get, it's not that hard to find them. You just have to know what your doing or your gonna have a really bad day.

R.F.

Warning: The text below is solely for the consumption of those who are not impervious to logic and reason. If you are divorced from reality then the statements below will have been wasted on you.

Here is an exerpt from wiki "From the end of World War I until today, practically all organic nitrates have been produced from nitric acid from the oxidation of ammonia in this way. Some sodium nitrate is still mined industrially. Almost all potassium nitrate, now used only as a fine chemical, is produced from basic potassium salts and nitric acid."

Are we to believe that the government should outlaw nitric acid, potassium salts and ammonia so as not to create Potassium Nitrate so as not to create gun power all in an effort to strip Americans of their civil rights?

What do we do with all the enemployed workers from all these industries that are now shut down? Oh, I know, they can go to other countires and make nitric acid, potassium salts and ammonia so as to create potassium nitrate so as to create gun powder to be sold on the American black market.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 01:26:28

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › How is gun powder made ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.