Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Is it now time for a firearms black market? (Read 275 times)
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Is it now time for a firearms black market?
04/13/13 at 20:55:40

http://www.examiner.com/article/is-it-now-time-for-a-firearms-black-market

Had to post this because it will have srinath make some ridiculous and entertaining off topic argument against it.  Grin

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Is it now time for a firearms black market?
Reply #1 - 04/13/13 at 21:05:23

Ridiculous only cos you're from the opposite side -

Anyway here is the obligatory post.

Black market = $$$ ... the squeeze from background checks to closing of loop holes etc etc get to the point where anyone who buys one on the black market is doing so for a crime ... its prices will slowly skyrocket.

Criminals will get guns, cos like the NRA guy said "Criminals will never go through background checks" ... they will get guns as soon as they pay several times the price a non criminal would.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #2 - 04/14/13 at 08:37:28

srinath wrote on 04/13/13 at 21:05:23:
Ridiculous only cos you're from the opposite side -

Not just that...

Black market = $$$ ... the squeeze from background checks to closing of loop holes etc etc get to the point where anyone who buys one on the black market is doing so for a crime ... its prices will slowly skyrocket.

You mean like the black market Canadian and Mexican pharmacies that were cheaper than the US pharmacies?  Or the Gray market importers all over Europe?  Often the black market is cheaper than the formal market either because of tariffs, or position pricing.

Criminals will get guns, cos like the NRA guy said "Criminals will never go through background checks" ... they will get guns as soon as they pay several times the price a non criminal would.

Again, not always.  They would not pay your famous $100 tax, for example, and that will make a big difference...  Also they will not pay the tax and license fees for full auto weapons.  But yes, amusingly enough, they will pay a few hundred dollars for a cheap $75 pistol in Chicago.  And make their money back that night robbing someone who is unarmed.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #3 - 04/14/13 at 13:30:18

If you say so Srinath.

Right now I know of a few places I can get full auto M4's for less then a grand each.  That's way less then the market price for them legally. LE full auto versions of the MP5's go for about $600 on the street which is also way less the the market price for legally getting them, oh wait a minute you can't legally get a MP5 as a civilian they don't make a version of it that has the receiver made with it blocked for the full auto setup.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 04/15/13 at 00:56:49

Houstonbofh: You're crossing 2 threads. The background checks are not my idea. But expanding the background checks IMHO would raise black market prices was my theory. The $100 bullet isn't use in the accounting of why a black market gun is going to be cheaper. In this thread so far there is no connection to the $100 bullet tax.

Rfw2003: You're likely in the iron pipe, I know you're in OK - but AFAIK the famous "Iron pipe" is the NYC to GA, SC and GA have loose gun laws, and these are cheap, and lots of guns bought there end up in DC or NYC crimes.

This is like water - it flows to the lowest. The black market will get it off the cheapest location and sell it to who/where/when/what is most $$$. If we start raising the standards in 90% of the country, but leave SC and TX as is for example, the iron pipe will just end in TX and SC and run to every state ... Markets are efficient at doing this my friend, black markets especially so.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #5 - 04/15/13 at 16:30:49

I like how you totally ignored all of the examples I provided where the black market was cheaper than the public market.  Nice straw man on the gun vs bullet thing as well.  Grin

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 04/15/13 at 17:15:39

houstonbofh wrote on 04/15/13 at 16:30:49:
I like how you totally ignored all of the examples I provided where the black market was cheaper than the public market.  Nice straw man on the gun vs bullet thing as well.  Grin

Sorry that is no strawman - and I did explain the cheaper black market - just said you dont bring in the $100 bullet, cos it doesn't figure in to this, cos its not a law. Right now the black market is cheaper. I have explained why.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #7 - 04/15/13 at 17:59:32

srinath wrote on 04/15/13 at 00:56:49:
Houstonbofh: You're crossing 2 threads. The background checks are not my idea. But expanding the background checks IMHO would raise black market prices was my theory. The $100 bullet isn't use in the accounting of why a black market gun is going to be cheaper. In this thread so far there is no connection to the $100 bullet tax.

Rfw2003: You're likely in the iron pipe, I know you're in OK - but AFAIK the famous "Iron pipe" is the NYC to GA, SC and GA have loose gun laws, and these are cheap, and lots of guns bought there end up in DC or NYC crimes.

This is like water - it flows to the lowest. The black market will get it off the cheapest location and sell it to who/where/when/what is most $$$. If we start raising the standards in 90% of the country, but leave SC and TX as is for example, the iron pipe will just end in TX and SC and run to every state ... Markets are efficient at doing this my friend, black markets especially so.

Cool.
Srinath.

I guess reading isn't one of your better qualities, I'm in TX.

As for you saying the black market is more expensive, Then explain how you can get a full auto M16 for around $1K and right now on the streets, to get a legal full auto M16 it will run you anywhere from $4K to $12K depending on where you get it, and that doesn't include the tax stamp you have to get either to own it legally.

BTW Full Auto M16's that are legal to own are getting rare now, as those that have them are not really wanting to part with them.

The closer you are to any military installation the cheaper it is to get full auto weapons on the street, you just gotta know where to go is all.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #8 - 04/15/13 at 19:27:10

The whole point of the black market is to get things cheaper than you could through the legal (not necessarily moral) process. The market for cigarettes, for example, is a way to evade the high taxes. Same thing for a full-auto M-16, you can bypass the cost of the FFL and all associated monetary and time costs by utilizing the black market.

Suppose some idiot gets a bill passed that tacks a $100 tax per bulltet of ammunition. I would go to the black market to buy 1,000 rounds for $1 per round so as to overcome the immoral stripping of my civil rights. They can arrest me and everyone else who bought these bullets but then too many producers will be in prison and no one to provide for the leaches. So, just like prohibition, the law would go away and embarrass the Marxists.

Human behavior is economic behavior and there is no form of marxism that will totally erase that.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #9 - 04/15/13 at 20:53:48

Dane Allen wrote on 04/15/13 at 19:27:10:
The whole point of the black market is to get things cheaper than you could through the legal (not necessarily moral) process. The market for cigarettes, for example, is a way to evade the high taxes. Same thing for a full-auto M-16, you can bypass the cost of the FFL and all associated monetary and time costs by utilizing the black market.

Suppose some idiot gets a bill passed that tacks a $100 tax per bulltet of ammunition. I would go to the black market to buy 1,000 rounds for $1 per round so as to overcome the immoral stripping of my civil rights. They can arrest me and everyone else who bought these bullets but then too many producers will be in prison and no one to provide for the leaches. So, just like prohibition, the law would go away and embarrass the Marxists.

Human behavior is economic behavior and there is no form of marxism that will totally erase that.

exactly my point.   I would do the same as well.  Hell I might have to start doing that soon anyways, All the good defense rounds are pretty much non existent now at stores for just about every caliber.  I can't even find my speer 185 grn full copper hollow points for self loading anymore anywhere, so I can't even load my own preferred defense round for my 1911.  :'(

R.F.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 04/16/13 at 05:40:32

OK one more time black market prices vs legal market prices:

Sorry you'd have to read this. I will write in short sentenses with good grammar and punctuation.

Black market buys guns where there are no laws (you're not talking about a 20 year old gun I presume - else used cheaper than new). So you buy it in SC, say $100.

In NYC where there is 1000 restrictions and all sorts of regulations guns are $$$. SC gun gets driven to NY. Markup of 200, $300. Cheaper than the $500 legit gun.

If you imposed gun laws state by state, you will leave a lot of holes like SC, TX, etc etc. So you will always find black market cheaper.

That's why, whatever you do with gun laws, it has to be nationwide, and you have to get canada and mexico to go along. Else the black market will take the easy route.

This has nothing to do with the $100 bullet tax I proposed. This is reality, bullet tax is not. So its not affecting black market gun prices now.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 04/16/13 at 06:08:39

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=337190574

I would double your estimated values. Buy it now is only 30,000.

--Steve

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #12 - 04/16/13 at 09:07:30

Paraquat wrote on 04/16/13 at 06:08:39:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=337190574

I would double your estimated values. Buy it now is only 30,000.

--Steve

I was going by the last time I looked into getting one, when I was interested in auto fire firearms.  Which was about 2 years ago, for the legit legal pricing of the m16 for civilians. I do know that the underground pricing around here is accurate though as I do know a few people that are into that stuff. They also do ammo as well, what ever kind you want, at prices lower then you would expect, definitely lower then what it would cost you to get it legally even if you were a licensed dealer for LE and military stuff.  How do I know this,  I was an FFL dealer for 4 years and had my class III stamp plus the ability to sell to LE and government agencies.

Now how are they able to sell the stuff so cheap I wonder? Shocked  I'd bet Srinath couldn't guess it because he would think it's impossible with the way he's talking.  

They steal it from the government and law enforcement agencies is how. They get the stuff for free, so they can sell it for cheap and make a 100% profit margin on what they are selling.  I doesn't matter how much security there is, criminals will always find a way in. It's in their nature to find the holes in the system.

R.F.

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #13 - 04/16/13 at 09:37:12

rfw2003 wrote on 04/16/13 at 09:07:30:
Now how are they able to sell the stuff so cheap I wonder? Shocked  I'd bet Srinath couldn't guess it because he would think it's impossible with the way he's talking.  

They steal it from the government and law enforcement agencies is how. They get the stuff for free, so they can sell it for cheap and make a 100% profit margin on what they are selling.  I doesn't matter how much security there is, criminals will always find a way in. It's in their nature to find the holes in the system.

R.F.

Every system in existance has holes, which are defined simply as using a system not in the way it was intended. Take the traffic light system. The hole in the red light system is that people can just drive through the red light at the risk of being pulled over and cited. If you are careful then you can run red lights whenever there is not a cop around and totally bypass the traffic light system. This is a black market for time, you steal back time that the government took from you first in order to maintain order.

Anything tax free will be cheaper than the same thing that is sold legally with the taxes and fees. That is a fact, not even up for debate. A $3 pack of black market cigarettes is cheaper than the same kind sold for $5 in the store. Pure fact. Anyone who says otherwise is a fool.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #14 - 04/16/13 at 09:41:03

Dane Allen wrote on 04/16/13 at 09:37:12:
rfw2003 wrote on 04/16/13 at 09:07:30:

R.F.

Every system in existance has holes, which are defined simply as using a system not in the way it was intended. Take the traffic light system. The hole in the red light system is that people can just drive through the red light at the risk of being pulled over and cited. If you are careful then you can run red lights whenever there is not a cop around and totally bypass the traffic light system. This is a black market for time, you steal back time that the government took from you first in order to maintain order.

Anything tax free will be cheaper than the same thing that is sold legally with the taxes and fees. That is a fact, not even up for debate. A $3 pack of black market cigarettes is cheaper than the same kind sold for $5 in the store. Pure fact. Anyone who says otherwise is a fool.

That is the exact point I've been trying to make.

R.F.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 20:48:31

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Is it now time for a firearms black market?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.