Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Dr. Ben Carson (Read 228 times)
LostArtist
Ex Member

Re: Dr. Ben Carson
Reply #30 - 02/27/13 at 17:27:55

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 02/21/13 at 08:36:28:
Why did the thread get hijacked by JOG to talk about guns again when I started it to talk about Dr. Carson?

that's what he does, be happy it was guns and not abortion

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 02/27/13 at 17:37:53

arteacher wrote on 02/27/13 at 16:28:15:
One of my pet peeves is that colleges and universities keep grinding out qualified people for whom there are no jobs. So you finish university with no job prospects in your field, wind up in retail or a fast food joint, with $10,000 of student loans to pay off.

$10,000??? try $25,000 - $50,000 or more.

I got an art degree and was VERY lucky to land a graphic artist position, starting at more than minimum wage but not real money or anything, then I went back to school to get more educated in web design and digital technology and I had two choices, spend $30-$40K on another BA degree but with updated choices or spend $15K on a graduate degree that would more or less teach me the same thing, I shoulda changed direction  all together and did something more akin to computer programming, but I didn't, I did the master's degree, it's helping me get attention and interviews but with no real world experience it's still really hard to land a job.  the problem with my master's degree is that it's too well rounded, I know a little about marketing, a little about computer programming, a little about project management and a concentration in graphic design which I now know is worthless. so I messed up again, I can still advance and get a better job, but it's going to be a hard trip, I've been looking for a year now, I've had maybe 20 interviews, no offers yet, hopefully that changes this  week.  I'm not expecting it though. when those loans come due I'm going to be hurting, I'll make it, but ouch.  

but honestly, any other job would be pretty disappointing to me. I might make more money but I probably would feel like a complete failure and killed myself long ago if I was an accountant or something.

like I've said before, I'm learning to separate myself from my job, but it's hard when that's all you have

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 02/27/13 at 17:40:09

srinath wrote on 02/17/13 at 14:09:05:
I have noticed that people from a certain background who have "made it" be the most critical of the others of the same background who seem to be circumventing the rules or struggling to do so ...

The example I would use in my case ... I am an immigrant ... I have never been illegal and I have been a permanent resident since 2001 and a citizen since 09. I am of the belief that illegals need to be tossed out, they broke the rules ... rules I treated as gospel, had a bag packed and a full on departure plan in place ... as well as leaving the country one time.

A situation I have noticed - Gynaecologists who are mothers tend to be the most dismissive of womens concerns when pregnanent ... sorta like, yea yea yea its all a big deal to you, like no one has ever been through it before ...

Cool.
Srinath.

this happens a lot, people think "well I did it, it's not that hard" but all people are different with different ability and strengths. Like republicans seem to think that everyone should start their own company for the experience at least so they can feel the pain of government taxes, but some people, me being one, would be aweful at running a business, I'm not a sales person and trust me, all owners of businesses are sales people at heart.

people are egocentric, they think that their life experience is the one everyone else has too, which is why some arguments will never be able to be resolved

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 02/27/13 at 18:00:07

sorry I got on a rant about myself there, i need something else to think about.  sorry again  Huh

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 02/28/13 at 07:58:55

Jerry -
I welcome disagreement. Otherwise I'd stay in the cafe.  Cheesy

The friend I mentioned says:
Associates in General Studies and Business Administration conc. Management.
Has certs in Business Administration and, as she puts it, a "slew of industry specific certifications".
She is a manufacturing engineer with 7 years engineering experience.

The girlfriend has an Associates in General Studies and Science with a minor in Psych.
She is a certified Pet Care technician.

Now to be fair:
http://www.mlive.com/business/index.ssf/2013/02/rick_haglund_jobs_college_rec...
It's guy says an engineer earns 3.5 million over 40 years. That breaks down to ~75k a year.
When I told my friend this she said that she is currently earning ~45k a year. That's a significant difference.
My argument there is that you can't trust most of the statistics people are posting regarding wages.

http://business.time.com/2012/04/17/here-we-go-again-is-college-worth-it/
Let's use old data first:
1 million more, over a life time, with a degree.
Let's say you jump right in. You work 18 to 65 years of age. 47 years.
1000000/47 = 21k
Assume gross because publications are more "kittens and rainbows" than "doom and gloom", tax that at 70%.  15k
15k. Against an average of 60k for student loans. I do believe that is a conservative value these days.
Pay it back, keep on keepin' on. That's an extra half a mil over the remaining 40 years of your life.

But then:
Quote:
The College Board later estimated the value was $800,000.

800000/47 = 17k
Taxed. 12k.
Against 60k in loans.
You still come out ahead.

Quote:
Two years ago, a sobering and widely read report further downgraded the figure to $280,000.

Blah blah,
6k, taxes 4k.
Times the whole 47 years is 196k. Versus my conservative 60k you still come out ahead but it's only an extra 2k a year. Would it help? Absolutely.
But someone at my level is close to the estimate assuming I had completed my degree. Now there is no financial benefit at the end of the road. Spend money now to make less income. It's not financially sound.

All this is even assuming you'll be able to find that job and hold it for 47 years.

But that's me.
Go back into that article and it later mentions paying 200k for schooling. Compare that against the 196k more you'd make with the degree. Forgetting interest altogether you're losing money. It's no longer economically viable.

I'm 30 and it's time to face facts: I'll never be a neonatal neurosurgeon.

--Steve

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #35 - 02/28/13 at 08:12:36

Oooo I love this calculation ... that college education is supposedly worth 800k and you getting it for 60K is such a bargain ... OK lets try this ...

In India I got a college degree for next to nothing, but lets say it was 10K for argument sake. Then some american company caught me and dragged me here and kept me trapped a few years while they got me a green card.
So I'm paying 10k for 800K and the locals here pay 60K ... OK fine it doesn;t sound that bad, cos waiting for a green card is terrible, you lose say 10k per year of that process, I took nearly 8 years ... so it cost me 80K ...

However I had no loans, I dunno is 70K up front worse than 80K over the first 8 years after you graduate ? 70K repayment = nearly 120K over 10 years even @ the low interest rates ... Of course you get some degree that is useless or flooded with grads you're never gonna make any $$$ so your 70K looks awfully high.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 16:22:44

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Dr. Ben Carson

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.