Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 
Send Topic Print
Thumpin' Special......On The Road Again! (Read 17417 times)
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Thumpin' Special......On The Road Again!
Reply #315 - 07/04/20 at 20:43:20

The large headlight has a very European Cafe styling. The bike was stripped and everything was down sized except the head light it got bigger. And the endurance road racers would use giant headlights for racing at night. I think they were using small aircraft landing lights way back when.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #316 - 02/05/24 at 05:20:04

I have about 17,000 miles on the bike since the engine was modified using a Wiseco 95mm.  When I built the bike Verslagen was not making the modified head plug and I installed a factory plug - that lasted about 6,000 miles before I got a head plug leak while riding down in TN...thankfully the leak only lasted a short time and then healed itself.  When I got home I took the head cover off and installed a Versyplug.

The head is has been dry at the plug since that time.

IMG_3015.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #317 - 02/05/24 at 05:21:15

The Suzukibond has been doing a good job of stopping any leaks at the head cover.  The wire at the left rear head stud is my the sensor for my temperature gauge.

IMG_3012.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #318 - 02/05/24 at 05:21:57

The front stud is dry.

IMG_3017.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #319 - 02/05/24 at 05:22:25

And the rear stud is dry.

IMG_3018_001.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #320 - 02/05/24 at 05:25:12

However - On the last ride I developed a leak at the left rear cylinder stud.  This stud has the top located in the cam housing and is subject to the oil spray in the head.  I used Neversieze on the nut and washer....it lasted 17,000 miles and is now leaking pretty good.  I will take it apart and fix it.....it is a bit surprising that it waited nearly 12 years and 17,000 miles to start leaking.

This time I will use the DragBikeMike method of sealing it with sealant.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1576269113

IMG_3013.JPG

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #321 - 02/05/24 at 06:32:37

Leaks suck.  They make an awesome bike appear to be a POS.  Get that fixed!

Do I see a spring on your decomp cable?  Can you talk about that?  I have my decomp adjusted well and working, but I do have some cable stretch (or extra free play).  I can wiggle the lever 1-2mm even when it's in adjustment correctly.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #322 - 02/05/24 at 07:41:38

12 years , you did good !  But definitely sucks. Spring is near. Are you still building another project Savage ? After 12 years its the engine wanting a little more attention , she desires you touch !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #323 - 02/05/24 at 14:44:05

ThumperPaul wrote on 02/05/24 at 06:32:37:
Do I see a spring on your decomp cable?  Can you talk about that?

My decompression lever is not normal.

I did not have room for the decompression solenoid under the GT440 fuel tank.  I had to go to a manual lever - the lever on the engine was extended and a new cable mount was made.

IMG_3027.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #324 - 02/05/24 at 14:45:26

And I modified a BMX bicycle brake lever to operate my compression release.  It is mounted on the handlebar just above the clutch lever.

IMG_3028.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #325 - 02/05/24 at 14:47:38

Ruttly wrote on 02/05/24 at 07:41:38:
. Are you still building another project Savage ? After 12 years its the engine wanting a little more attention , she desires you touch !

Yes, I still have the Retro Thumper project going.  It is a long term project with a year or two more to go on the build.  Spring is coming slowly to this area - there are still lots of days left to hide in the garage from the cold.

The Cafe' bike will likely get a Wiseco Flat Top piston replacement for the current Wiseco pop top........just to see how that piston work.  The current engine runs great - but maybe it could be better?

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #326 - 02/05/24 at 15:13:42

Dave wrote on 02/05/24 at 14:45:26:
And I modified a BMX bicycle brake lever to operate my compression release.  It is mounted on the handlebar just above the clutch lever.

Now that's ingenious, Dave!!  I guess I'll just live with my wiggle room in the cable (if it ain't broke, don't fix it!).

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #327 - 02/05/24 at 16:42:25

Dave wrote on 02/05/24 at 14:47:38:
Ruttly wrote on 02/05/24 at 07:41:38:
. Are you still building another project Savage ? After 12 years its the engine wanting a little more attention , she desires you touch !

Yes, I still have the Retro Thumper project going.  It is a long term project with a year or two more to go on the build.  Spring is coming slowly to this area - there are still lots of days left to hide in the garage from the cold.

The Cafe' bike will likely get a Wiseco Flat Top piston replacement for the current Wiseco pop top........just to see how that piston work.  The current engine runs great - but maybe it could be better?

Question: At what age or mileage should you stop attempting performance enhancements?  Maybe I'm not asking this right...  For example, swapping out the stock cam for say, a Web-Cam 466 (mild cam).  It's a change that doesn't require doing a lot of other valvetrain work/changes.  If those parts have normal wear and are still good, would the new cam be of benefit?  I hear and see people making performance enhancements, but I'm always wondering if its worth it if other parts are aged and getting tired.  I guess it depends....

Like you considering the flat top piston to replace the pop top.  Note - I have no idea what all needs to happen with this type of piston swap either.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #328 - 02/05/24 at 18:27:46

ThumperPaul wrote on 02/05/24 at 16:42:25:
Question: At what age or mileage should you stop attempting performance enhancements?  Maybe I'm not asking this right...  For example, swapping out the stock cam for say, a Web-Cam 466 (mild cam).  It's a change that doesn't require doing a lot of other valvetrain work/changes.  If those parts have normal wear and are still good, would the new cam be of benefit?  I hear and see people making performance enhancements, but I'm always wondering if its worth it if other parts are aged and getting tired.  I guess it depends....

Like you considering the flat top piston to replace the pop top.  Note - I have no idea what all needs to happen with this type of piston swap either.

My engine has 18,000 miles on it, and that is likely barely broken in for a modern engine.....other than perhaps the cam chain guide and tensioner issue and head plug.  The Savage engine can go a very long time with regular oil changes and reasonable care.  Neglected bikes can have engine failure prematurely.

I don't believe a cam change has much affect on the engine reliability or longevity.  It allows the engine to breath a bit better and make a bit more power - but it is not changing the compression ratio or rpm at which you ride.

If you start changing to a higher compression or larger piston with that cam change - you may make enough power that a worn clutch will need to be improved.  And....there is always a need to keep your eye on the front pulley nut and make sure it is not coming loose.

The stock engine doesn't tend to break or wear out parts - most damage to Savage engines comes from neglect by not keeping fresh oil in the engine or using the wrong oil - or from too low of idle speed.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #329 - 02/06/24 at 00:24:23

Dave, I never get tired of admiring your cafe.  Sweet ride.

Is there any reason why you have an acorn nut installed in the right-front location?  Any chance you installed the flange nut with the open top at the right-rear location?  That would result in a leak path down the stud and could explain your current leak.

RF_Head_Nut_Acorn.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 22:59:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Thumpin' Special......On The Road Again!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.