Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 23
Send Topic Print
Thumpin' Special......On The Road Again! (Read 17417 times)
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Thumpin' Special......On The Road Again!
Reply #195 - 03/17/14 at 04:59:21

Where did you find that sticker Dave ?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #196 - 03/17/14 at 05:06:14

LANCER wrote on 03/17/14 at 04:59:21:
Where did you find that sticker Dave ?

Here's the link.

http://www.diablocycle.com/Safety-Standards-Decal.html

They have all kinds of decals and stickers and badges for vintage bikes.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #197 - 03/18/14 at 14:49:20

yep just very very nice, I'd be stoked if that was my ride.

IP Logged
gdrseeker

Addicted!!

Carson Valley NV
Reply #198 - 03/20/14 at 01:08:28

Amazing bike ...you have such talent!!!!

1996 Savage, Jardine, K&N, 145 / 55 jets, 1 turn out at 5000 ft. elevation.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #199 - 03/20/14 at 06:12:19

I have been blessed by having worked for some mechanics that have taught me some good basic skills, by having a good job that allows me to have some hobby money, and blessed with an understanding wife that allows me to spend a lot of time in the garage while she is grading her students papers.  I feel that maybe I am "peaking".....my fabrication skills have improved but my eyesight for very close technical work seems to be on the decline.  This is the first winter that I have had to put glasses on my face whenever I enter the garage to do any technical work.  Changing oil and that kind of work can still be done without glasses - but anything that requires depth perception like welding, drilling or using the bandsaw or lathe now requires glasses.

Last night I got the powdercoated headlight back on, put some fuel in the tank, pulled in the manual decompression lever, and hit the starter and it fired right up!  It is so nice to hear it run again after it being apart all winter.  The rain yesterday most likely cleaned the remaining road salt from the pavement.....and I might be able to squeeze an afternoon ride in on Friday for a bit....it is supposed to get up to 60 degrees.  Saturday is forecast to be rainy, and on Sunday the cold returns.

This weekend I will work on clear coating the gold anodized tank badges and then hand painting the area between the letters satin black.
« Last Edit: 03/20/14 at 07:52:22 by Dave »  

IMG_0289_2.jpg

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #200 - 03/21/14 at 04:46:07

Sure is PERTY

IP Logged
wolfsgrin

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bentonville, AR
Reply #201 - 03/22/14 at 20:05:48

Wow, bahooga, Excuse me for drooling Cheesy

Nice build Dave(pics saved to deskstop) and I like your bike stand think I might build one to your specifications with the tools placement idea. What is your rear rim size? I see the excel rear rims on ebay 18x2.15, 18x2.5, 18x2.75. I'm in the process of building a bobber and like your rear wheel set up. plan on going with a springer front end next year and 21" Harley rim. Also what is your Pirelli sport demon tire size?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #202 - 03/23/14 at 16:27:19

wolfsgrin wrote on 03/22/14 at 20:05:48:
What is your rear rim size? I see the excel rear rims on ebay 18x2.15, 18x2.5, 18x2.75.  Also what is your Pirelli sport demon tire size?

My rear rim is a 2.50 x 18 with a 130/70-18 Pirelli Sport Demon.  The front rim is a 2.15 x 18 with a 100/80-18 Pirelli Sport Demon.  

Be careful just buying any Excell rim from ebay.  Most are set up for a more modern hub with a disc brake, and the punched holes in the rim will not be the correct angle for the drum brake on the Savage.  The nipples may not screw onto the spokes - or if they do the spokes may end up not being straight and may have a bend in them  (Not Good).

IP Logged
v-pilot

Loud bikes rule!

Rexford NY
Reply #203 - 03/23/14 at 20:52:50

Hey Dave, how much clearance do you have on the front/rear with your set up?  I need to make rim choices soon for mine.  I have the modified swing arm from Ryca...was hoping to go 2.50/3.00

Suzuki DR650, aprilia RSVR, aprilia Falco, Bimota DB4(2x)
Moto Guzzi V10, Ducati 900ss, Triumph Trident, Suzuki LS650
Moto Guzzi Le Mans SE(2x), Moto Guzzi V50, Benelli 250, Ducati 250
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #204 - 03/24/14 at 04:49:07

v-pilot wrote on 03/23/14 at 20:52:50:
Hey Dave, how much clearance do you have on the front/rear with your set up?  I need to make rim choices soon for mine.  I have the modified swing arm from Ryca...was hoping to go 2.50/3.00

I don't think the rim width hurts anyting.....but you don't want a rim that is too wide for the tire you use.....and tire height and width is a factor with the stock swingarm and belt drive.  The 18" rim and tire combination is larger diameter than the stock setup, and with the 130/70-18 Sport Demon there was plenty of room with the stock pulley set up.  It might have been possibel to go with the 140 size....not sure.

When you say the RYCA modified your swingarm.....I assume they clearanced the front for a larger tire.....as is necessary when you use the vintage tread tires.  I modified my swingarm in order to allow me to use any combination of the Kawasaki Pulleys.....and I may try the 140 size tire next time if a larger tire will help handling any.....I have a friend with road racing experience and lot of street smarts that can help me sort that question out.

When I see the tire options that are available in 17".....I wonder if that might be a better choice when shopping for tires.  Most sport bikes use 17" wheels and it seems the sticky tires all come in that diameter.

IP Logged
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
Reply #205 - 05/12/14 at 08:24:21

Hi Dave,
When you get a chance can you take a photo of your side cover mounts on the frame w/o the side covers?  I have a couple of ideas on how to make these for my bike but I would like to see how you did it.  No hurry, when ever you have the side covers off, don't mes with it just to take a photo.  
Thanks,
Gerry

This message was posted using Google Chrome on a system using Linux Mint 17 Mate
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #206 - 05/12/14 at 10:04:09

Gerry:

The two scariest parts of my build were mounting the side panels, and wiring the handlebar switches.

Next time I have the side covers off I will take some pictures - here is what I currently have in my files.

I first established where I wanted a hole in the top rear, and then made a bracket that mounted to the upper shock stud and had a hole in just the right spot for the side panel.  I could leave the flat tab bolted to the shock mount when I removed the side pantel.....and then I mounted a long screw through the hole with a piece of steel rod that I had bored and threaded - the flat piece bolted to the shock held the part where I wanted to weld it.  Both left and right sides were the same so the tab could be used on both sides of the bike.  The length was trimmed later.  I had wet towels protecting the stuff I didn't want to burn up with the weld splatter.  You can see the chrome acorn nut for the shock in this photo.

This is what it looked like after trimming to length and painting.  You can see the shock mount below the mount in this photo.

For the front I did something similar.  I found a spot in the side cover that lined up well with the top frame tube.  I drilled a small hole in the side cover at that spot - then marked the frame top tube.  I then trilled a hole in the frame and tapped it to the correct screw size....then I put the screw through a barrel nut and put the screw in the threaded hole and then welded on the barrel nut.  I once again trimmed it to length once I had them all welded on and could check the fit of the panel.

The bottom was done the same way.  On the bottom right I welded a tab to the frame that has a nut welded in the correct spot.  On the left side I welded a tab and nut onto the top of the belt guard.

This photo might help to show about where they ended up.

IP Logged
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
Reply #207 - 05/12/14 at 10:35:24

Thanks for the quick reply Dave.
The photos you show above are excellent.  They show pretty well how you did it.  No need to take current photos with the side covers off.
I don't have a welder, wish I did.  I am going to go with a plan B I think.
I'll touch on it in my build thread a little later.
Thanks and again, you have come up with an excellent solution, nice work.
Gerry

This message was posted using Google Chrome on a system using Linux Mint 17 Mate
  IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #208 - 05/13/14 at 05:45:58

gorgeous Dave...words escape me buddy  Wink

I will say that checkerboard running front to back is the perfect touch

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

South of Chicago, the suburbs
Reply #209 - 05/29/14 at 09:47:22

Dave,
Is there a trick to painting checkerboards? I teach graphic design and know how to draw them in a variety of ways but I was wondering how you go about transferring them to the tank. Thanks!
Jeff

Yeah, like I have any clue what is going on....
http://myrycabuild.weebly.com
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 23
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 19:42:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Thumpin' Special......On The Road Again!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.