Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 23
Send Topic Print
Thumpin' Special......On The Road Again! (Read 17417 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Thumpin' Special......On The Road Again!
Reply #165 - 09/13/13 at 05:45:12

Here is a video of the rear bulbs and the front LED turn signals

View My Video

I will be doing the rear turn signals this weekend.

« Last Edit: 09/13/13 at 09:23:36 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #166 - 10/01/13 at 05:42:25

On the Dragon Trip I was told by OldFellow that my brake light was not much brighter than my tail light.....in the dayhlight it was not an attention getter.

In this day and age of inattentive drivers sending text messages on their phones while driving.....I have always wanted a brake light and turn sginals that are at least as bright as the stock items, and very visiable in the daylight.

My attempt to get a bright brake light led me to this light, which can be set to light continuous.  It is not very deep and tall....and can be hidden under the fender reasonably well, and it is completely sealed and waterproof:
http://www.strobes-r-us.com/closeup.asp?cid=32&pid=720&offset=0

The mount I made is currently not painted, and it will blend in much better when it is painted black.

The photo does not show the actual brightness .....and it is far too bright to be used without doing something to diffuse the light a bit.  If you are within 30 feet and look at the light.....you will have spots in your eyes that last for several minutes.  I am going to try putting a plastic lense with diffusers molded in, or maybe placing round black sticky spots over the center of each light.  It will blind people following you at night the way it currently is working.  When I ride at night and look in the rear view mirror and apply the brakes.....I can see the road, trees and signs behind me al lighting up red!

« Last Edit: 10/01/13 at 14:33:25 by Dave »  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #167 - 11/10/13 at 17:38:07

Today I was able to complete the pulley experiment that I had going on.  The stock front pulley is 23 tooth, and it can be replaced with a 25 tooth from a Kawasaki EN454 LTD with some machining and adapting.  It does however move the rear tire forward, and with an 18" wheel I cannot move the wheel any farther forward or the tire will hit the swing arm.

MMRanch had reported that a Kawasaki KZ750 rear pulley had 65 teeth vs. the Savage 68 teeth....so maybe that would work. Well it does work....but takes some adapting.  The center hole size is bigger than the Savage - so you have to make a collar to put on the hub to center the pulley.  Then the bolt holes are on a different bolt circle....so you have to drill new holes, and the offset is different....so you have to cut some off the hub to allow the pulleys to run the belt in alignment.  Also the left shock bolt head interferes with the smaller pulley - so I had to machine about half of the head away to allow clearance and replate the bolt so it didn't rust.  Lastly the rear wheel is moved almost all the way back to tighten the belt properly.....so I have very little adjustment left and I will have to extend the swingarm slots 1/4 inch if I want to keep this change.  I also cut some rubber floor matt and installed it on top of the rubber hub cushions - and this tightened up the wobble on the rear pulley and made it run straighter.

EN454 25 tooth pulley

Machining collar and removing some material to correct offset.

Cutting some shims from rubber floor matt to elimate play in rear hub.

Installed KZ750 rear pulley

The end result is that with my 18" rear tire and the stock pulleys - my engine ran 4,040 rpm at 60 mph.  With the new pullies the engine is turning 3,300 rpm at 60 mph....and it feels much nicer to be cruising along at that speed.  You now "know" when you are in 5th gear......and the jump between 4th and 5th is noticeable now.  I suspect that 4th gear will be used for performance, and 5th will be used for cruising on flat ground.  I only took it for a 10 mile spin today - but I believe it is going to be a worthwhile change.

« Last Edit: 11/11/13 at 06:54:30 by Dave »  

IP Logged
v-pilot

Loud bikes rule!

Rexford NY
Reply #168 - 11/10/13 at 19:25:17

You're an Animal Dave!  I too was wondering about a different rear pulley to help drop the rpm's  I haven't started the reassembly of mine yet but I do have the 454 front pulley.  The kz440 rear should then also work, it has 66 teeth

Suzuki DR650, aprilia RSVR, aprilia Falco, Bimota DB4(2x)
Moto Guzzi V10, Ducati 900ss, Triumph Trident, Suzuki LS650
Moto Guzzi Le Mans SE(2x), Moto Guzzi V50, Benelli 250, Ducati 250
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #169 - 11/11/13 at 05:16:01

The KZ440 rear pulley might be the same as the KZ750 - but with 4 hub holes instead of 5.  The only eBay listing I saw for the KZ440 that had a tooth count said it was 65 teeth....same as the KZ750.  There is one weird 60 tooth KZ440 sprocket on eBay - but you could not get a belt for that size pulley.

I went with the KZ750 pulley as the hole spacing allowed me to drill the new holes half way between the existing holes....not sure how the 4 holes on the KZ440 would be converted to 5 holes for the Savage.

IMG_1103.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #170 - 11/25/13 at 18:30:50

In the last few days I corrected the compression release that was not working well.  The Honda Hot Start lever did not have enough leverage to allow me to pull the valves open when they were closed....which is most of the time when I went to start the bike.

I am using 7/8" bars....so this will not work for 1" bars and stock controls without some extra work.

I went to the local bicycle store and bought a left brake lever for a BMX bike.  The length of pull is far more than the compression release and I was worried about being strong enough to pull the lever....of breaking the cable.....so I made a longer decompression lever that would match the distance between the pivot point and cable on the lever. I had to make a new mount that would put the cable in line with the new lever.  The new parts are painted black.

I then mounted them on the engine and I use a bicycle brake cable that I cut to length and soldered on a proper end fitting.

I then mounted the new bicycle brake lever on my clip ons.  I had to angle the lever up a bit - so it did not hit the passing light switch when I pulled it in.

It seems to work proper now.  I have enough leverage to pull the exhaust valves open with my fingers.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #171 - 12/16/13 at 04:54:11

Over the weekend I was finally able to work on a front fender.  Last year I was just too busy getting the bike up and running that I did not have time to get the front fender done.  Since I had used a different triple tree yokes and narrowed the front end I was not able to use a stock fender anymore.

I bought a NOS Wassel fender from eBay.  It was an aftermarket fender made for British bikes, and was way too long for what I needed.

I needed to make a flat spot on the fender so it would bolt up to the bottom of the TKAT brace.  I tried to figure out a way I could cut out a piece of metal that would make a flat surface......so I turned the fender upside down and leveled it up against the wall with the mounting point at the bottom.  I then put some water in the bottom of the fender until the level of the water was the size of the mounting point I wanted.  I then spayed a light coat of orange paint in the fender.....the water prevented the paint from sticking to the area that I wanted to cut out.....and made a level surface?  I then let the paint dry, dumped out the water, cut out the part that did not have paint on it, then traced the hole onto a flat piece of steel and cut it out to weld into the fender.

I then mounted the fender to the bottom of the TKAT brace, and made a pair of stainless steel braces for the rear portion of the fender.

Now I am at the point where I can take the bodywork off and start prepping everything for paint!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #172 - 12/17/13 at 08:40:42

I like the way you think, Dave.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #173 - 12/17/13 at 08:47:23

Water......
That's brilliant... Cool...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
Reply #174 - 12/18/13 at 05:53:20

Serowbot wrote on 12/17/13 at 08:47:23:
Water......
That's brilliant... Cool...

Plus 1!
You have done a lot of innovative thinking to create that motorcycle.
Thanks for all the inspiration.
Gerry

This message was posted using Google Chrome on a system using Linux Mint 17 Mate
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #175 - 12/22/13 at 16:18:19

I have never liked the fact that I don't have anywhere to store a tool kit, or my registration and proof of insurance - and this weekend I made a storage place in the seat.

First I cut a sheet of thin aluminum to fit in the bottom of the rear bodywork for the seat.

Then I cut a hole just behind the seat back to use as the access.  When the seat is installed it will not be visible.

Then I laid two layer of fiberglass over the aluminum sheet to give it strength and to mount is securely to the bodywork.  I placed two plastic mounts to zip tie the tail light wiring harness.

Then I epoxied some metal nuts to the seat bottom that are supposed to be used for making metal threads in wood....but I used them as dowels to locate the seat and keep it from moving around.  I will use either some velcro or magnets to hold the seat down.

« Last Edit: 12/23/13 at 05:04:53 by Dave »  

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #176 - 01/17/14 at 05:00:22

Dave, reading over the triple tree/yoke swap you did towards the beginning - why did you go with machining the RM stem rather than welding the stock Savage stem into the the RM yokes? Are they not the same diameter? Would love to be able to drop the forks through the yokes rather than the large lowering spacer method which I am finding too harsh a ride. Don't have a lathe so trying to work out how much is involved before buying parts.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #177 - 01/17/14 at 05:26:30

Strang:

The top of the RM stem and the upper yoke attachment was completely different than the method used for the Savage, and switching stems would have made for more work than fixing the top and bottom bearing mounts.  The RM400 forks used ball bearings and the mounting surface on the stem was much shorter that the Savage Stem that uses roler bearings.

The work on the stem was actually the least amount of work.  Making steering stops that worked on the Savage was tough - but it also would have been possible to weld a stud on the front of the frame to work with the RM yoke.  Also the front hub had to be modified to work with the narrower fork spacing, and then I had to machine a bit of the disc brake caliper away.....and the stock front fender won't fit anymore.

I had initially thought about modifying a Savage bottom yoke with the fork clamp to fit on the top of the yoke.....that way you would have clamps on the top and bottom yokes at the Savage spacing.  This new top yoke would not have places to mount your handlebars - but if you are using clip ons that is not an issue.  I have an extra bottom yoke if you want to try this.....it would however need a spacer made as the top of the stem is not the same diameter as the bottom.  I still have the parts for this change if you are interested.....if you mount the speedo and tach over the yoke.....not sure if you can make the converted bottom yoke look good.

« Last Edit: 01/28/14 at 06:32:16 by Dave »  

IP Logged
Michael L

brumm..!

Denmark
Reply #178 - 01/27/14 at 23:23:26

This is a really good build.. I like how things are done pro, and in the best ways.. Those rm tripple trees really does alot for the savage to cafe conversion.. Maybe Ryca should make some cnc milled trees an option for their cs-1 pack, and a part of the tank and rear hub mod..

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #179 - 02/18/14 at 07:30:07

I took a break from the painting for a bit and worked on the rear swing arm.  I wanted to eliminate the passenger peg mounts. So I driled and cut out the tubes that were welded into the swingarm, and made some metal patches with a hole saw.

I also wanted to get a bit more clearance at the front of the 18" tire in case I use the larger Kawasaki front pulley without the smaller back one, and in case I ever get a larger tire.  I first slid the axle all the way forward and marked a pattern using a 3/8" drive socket extension for clearance.

I then cut out the original metal, and made an interior stiffener to be welded inside, and a new plate to cover the part I cut away.b  The stiffener plate is installed about where the green tape is located.

I then welded it all together and made it smooth with my grinder.

I also wanted to get some extra travel in the axle adjustment for the use of the Kawasaki Pulleys.....so I cut the spot welds off the interior plate and removed it.

I then made some plates and welded on an extension of about 3/16".  I still have to lengthen the holes and make new plates to replace the ones I cut off, and make the notches at the rear to hold the adjustment bolts.  I may ultimately have to make longer brackets that hold the adjustment screws - but the original ones will work for the double Kawasaki Pulley set up.  I might be a little soon to post this picture, as there is still work to be done....it is not yet pretty!

DONE!

« Last Edit: 02/27/14 at 06:31:21 by Dave »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 23
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/01/24 at 19:38:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Thumpin' Special......On The Road Again!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.