Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Going all in... Cams, big bore, etc. (Read 186 times)
HoustonBussa
YaBB Newbies

If it ain't fun I
ain't doing it
-SYCKK Life

SW Houston
Going all in... Cams, big bore, etc.
01/11/13 at 15:32:06

Ok. My wife and I both have bikes. So we are just getting a Savage to play with. So if I do something stupid and break it, it's ok and we'll live.  That all said and done. We're going to tear this thing down.  So since we can and are going to do so, I may as well save some pennies for upgrades.  That said and done, I've never done a complete build.  What is a good direction to go.  I know I'm WANTING (you know, fill one hand with wants and the other with.....) to go with a cam and big bore.  Stage two for sure since this will be a for fun/bike night (aka bar hopper/parking lot pimper) when I'm done.  Will probably dump more money in to this bike than it'll ever be worth.

What I want to know, is a good direction.. I know cam and bore. I am guessing a carb upgrade as well.  So looking for fan favorites.  I'm worried about the exhaust because I'm am going with the RYCA bobber kit but not leaving the exhaust where the kit has it, but afraid that the frame extension will get in the way. So I know I'm going to have to work that out.  So am I missing anything?

Has anyone ever did custom controls? Probably stay with stock unless something really just catches my eye.  The stock Suzuki cruiser/standard bike controls just have never tickled my fancy though.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Going all in... Cams, big bore, etc.
Reply #1 - 01/11/13 at 16:30:32

Will probably dump more money in to this bike than it'll ever be worth.

Will Definitely dump more money in to this bike than it'll ever be worth.

There,, fixed it for ya.

Theres a cylinder treatment/coating you can get done, makes enough difference to be worth it, IMO,, IF a guys goin in as deep as you are..

If youre wanting to run & play in the mountains, you do certain things.
If youre wanting to see how good you can get it from stop lite to stop lite.. ehh,,IDK,, YOu mite wish for a different platform.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
HoustonBussa
YaBB Newbies

If it ain't fun I
ain't doing it
-SYCKK Life

SW Houston
Reply #2 - 01/12/13 at 01:25:42

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/11/13 at 16:30:32:
Will probably dump more money in to this bike than it'll ever be worth.

Will Definitely dump more money in to this bike than it'll ever be worth.

There,, fixed it for ya.

Theres a cylinder treatment/coating you can get done, makes enough difference to be worth it, IMO,, IF a guys goin in as deep as you are..

If youre wanting to run & play in the mountains, you do certain things.
If youre wanting to see how good you can get it from stop lite to stop lite.. ehh,,IDK,, YOu mite wish for a different platform.,

Thanks for the fix.. I am the FNG.. haha. Need correcting every now and then.

I know it won't be a stop to stop bike.. Hell, I ride a Hayabusa.  But there's a lot to learn about motors and fabrication, so that's really the point.. Learning and having fun. I mean why else.  It may be more wish listen than not, but I mean if not for dreams, where would you start.  And I'd spend a lot let letting my living room looking like Suzuki barfed in my living room (both current bikes are Zukis and so will be the third one that we'll be taking it apart)

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 01/12/13 at 02:39:59

The exhaust port has a ring at the outlet that can be trimmed to be less restrictive, and the ports can be smoothed a little bit.  Getting a better flowing air filter helps, and a better flowing exhaust.

I am not sure how well a Bobber rides or handles.....might be that the stock engine is plenty if you have one of those tiny seats that lean backwards towards the rear tire (fender removed).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #4 - 01/12/13 at 06:58:00

One item that most folks don't even know about is extrude hone.  
-- This process smooths out all the surface irregularities in passages like intake/exhaust runners, areas near valve seats, etc.  
-- Often it creates a better result than standard porting/polishing.  
-- What I like about it is that it gets a really smooth, flowing, and slippery surface without removing much metal.

The pic is of a before and after comparison on an exhaust manifold.

You'd have to send the cylinder head away to have it done.  The turn-around time is maybe 3 weeks.

The website is extrudehone.com.  The only place I know of that takes one-off jobs like what we would want is Kennametal.  I have chatted with Rick Miller there a few times about getting some cylinder heads done.  His contact info is:
Rick Miller
Automotive Project Manager / TEM contract manager
rick.miller@kennametal.com
T 724.864.8438
T 800.613.1065
M 724-396-1512
F 724-863-8759

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 01/12/13 at 08:02:49

I hope ya get a Dyno run before any work gets done,
some timed runs, 100 yard dash, 1/8th, 1/4 miles, top end,20 to 40, 30 to 50 & 50 to 70 times,

stuff like that. See what real gains come of it all..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 01/12/13 at 10:00:39

Gyrobob wrote on 01/12/13 at 06:58:00:
One item that most folks don't even know about is extrude hone.  
-- This process smooths out all the surface irregularities in passages like intake/exhaust runners, areas near valve seats, etc.  
-- Often it creates a better result than standard porting/polishing.  
-- What I like about it is that it gets a really smooth, flowing, and slippery surface without removing much metal.

The pic is of a before and after comparison on an exhaust manifold.

You'd have to send the cylinder head away to have it done.  The turn-around time is maybe 3 weeks.

The website is extrudehone.com.  The only place I know of that takes one-off jobs like what we would want is Kennametal.  I have chatted with Rick Miller there a few times about getting some cylinder heads done.  His contact info is:
Rick Miller
Automotive Project Manager / TEM contract manager
rick.miller@kennametal.com
T 724.864.8438
T 800.613.1065
M 724-396-1512
F 724-863-8759

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh253/Gyrobob_theOriginal/extrudehoneexmpl...

Cool stuff, thanks for the info !

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 01/12/13 at 10:07:35

Almost everything you'd ever want to know is posted somewhere on this Forum; especially if you check out the Tech section:

Just one example:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1291516932

Also, LANCER is pretty much the high performance guru around here; check out what he has to offer; not only for products, but he's great for advice as well...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1338581006

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #8 - 01/12/13 at 12:42:13

Definitely positively dump more money into it than what it will be worth. Wink
But it is fun. Grin

IP Logged
HoustonBussa
YaBB Newbies

If it ain't fun I
ain't doing it
-SYCKK Life

SW Houston
Reply #9 - 01/13/13 at 05:27:14

LOL! You guys are awesome. Thanks for the info. Lancer will being hearing from me for sure. Now only if I could get this guy to commit to the sell!

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:29:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Going all in... Cams, big bore, etc.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.