Send Topic Print
Carb Cleaning (Read 90 times)
denistheruski
YaBB Newbies

2005 Suzuki Savage

Austin, TX
Carb Cleaning
01/12/13 at 11:41:35

So I'm getting ready to take my carb out to clean it and I'm wondering what everybody's favorite method are.  Do you guys usually soak or just use a spray?  What brands do you all prefer and where do you usually buy?

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Carb Cleaning
Reply #1 - 01/12/13 at 13:00:30

denistheruski wrote on 01/12/13 at 11:41:35:
So I'm getting ready to take my carb out to clean it and I'm wondering what everybody's favorite method are.  Do you guys usually soak or just use a spray?  What brands do you all prefer and where do you usually buy?

Get a manual first.  
- Then clean the outside of the carb really well so your hands don't get dirty during disassembly.
- Disassemble the carb on a white towel as if it had to be sterile.  The terry cloth tends to stop little tiny pieces from rolling away.
- Clean it with a powerful solvent (I like Berryman's B-12) and compressed air,.. or,... put all the parts in an ultrasonic cleaner.  Harbor Freight has them on sale now for $75.  Using ultrasonics will get every tiny bit of crud out of every little nook and cranny and passage.  They work great on jewelry and 9mm brass too.
- Then just reassemble in "sterile" conditions using the parts from the carb rebuild kit.

Reply 62 in the Double RYCA Build thread has some more tips.

Make sure to review the several threads here on how to tune and adjust the LS650/S40 carb.  Very very helpful.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #2 - 01/12/13 at 21:08:35

I like what Gyro said.

In addition:

Back in 2001, when I bought mine (see signature block) used (with only 50 miles on it), it had been sitting in a storage shed in Houston, TX, for about a year.  It had been put away with no prep.  As a result, when I bought it, it was running really lean, with excessive (even by our standards) backfiring.

When I tore the carb apart, it stunk like varnish.  I'd been down that road before.....

Anyway, after stripping everything (and, I mean EVERYTHING) off of the carb body, I soaked said carb body in Berryman's Chem-Dip.  It cleaned up all of the myriad small passages that are in said carb body.  The bike's been running great ever since!

BTW, I don't know if today's version of the Chem-Dip is as powerful as the stuff I used over 11 years ago.  It was nasty shizz, that' for sure!

Good luck!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #3 - 01/13/13 at 08:14:43

If you plan to dip, strip it totally first...  Some dips dissolve plastic and rubber.

I use a plastic bristle from a hand broom to clear out jet openings and passages.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:48:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb Cleaning

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.