Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 16
Send Topic Print
I propose we define 'assault weapon' (Read 1696 times)
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
I propose we define 'assault weapon'
12/26/12 at 08:48:07

With all this talk of banning assault weapons, insane people using assault weapons to kill others, my right to own an assault weapon, etc. I propose that we as a nation define the phrase 'assault weapon'. I know I have asked many people and received just as many definitions. I even had some begin their definition with "well, isn't it...". How can anyone be in favor of banning something when they don't even know what that something is?

*edit: And what makes those horrible things in the definition so horrible?

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Re: I propose we define 'assault weapon'
Reply #1 - 12/26/12 at 08:49:23

I will start. There is no such thing as an assault weapon. I guess technically, anything used to assault another person is an assault weapon, but that would include sticks and stones and name calling, so I would rather just say there is no such thing.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 12/26/12 at 09:27:51

Quote:
In reality, assault rifle is a misnomer as it connects an action with a weapon. Any assault involving a rifle by definition means one is using an assault rifle. The M-1 Garrand rifle was a semi-automatic rifle used by American infantry throuought World War II for example. They certainly made assaults with this rifle. The same is true for the British Lee-Enfield 303 and Mauser bolt action rifles of the Commonwealth and German armies, respectively.

I already went over this.

Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following:

Folding or telescoping stock
       Pistol grip
       Bayonet mount
       Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
       Grenade launcher (more precisely, a muzzle device that enables launching or firing rifle grenades, though this applies only to muzzle mounted grenade launchers and not those mounted externally).

Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and two or more of the following:

Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
       Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor
       Barrel shroud that can be used as a hand-hold
       Unloaded weight of 50 oz (1.4 kg) or more
       A semi-automatic version of a fully automatic firearm.

Semi-automatic shotguns with two or more of the following:

Folding or telescoping stock
       Pistol grip
       Fixed capacity of more than 5 rounds
       Detachable magazine.

SO. If I have an AR 15 that comes with a detachable magazine and a pistol grip it's perfectly fine.
If I attach a bayonet lug (not even a bayonet, just the lug) it's an assault rifle.
If I put a folding stock on it the gun becomes an assault rifle. If I put a folding stock on it but I put a 1/8 roll in the back of it then by definition it now has a "fixed" stock and becomes legal again. I feel safer already.

--Steve

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 12/26/12 at 09:29:34

Pistols and rifles capable of carrying more than 10 rounds...

Spray and pray weapons... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #4 - 12/26/12 at 09:36:27

Serowbot wrote on 12/26/12 at 09:29:34:

Spray and pray weapons... Grin...

I appreciate your attempt at a definition. I guess I should've added why does the definition make it an assault weapon? Because 11 rounds is deadlier than 10? Because after 10 rounds I press a button and slam another 10 in in under a second? All guns are spray and pray including revolvers as they fire each time the trigger is pulled. If this is the definition the public is using, it is a poor one. No offense.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #5 - 12/26/12 at 09:39:00

Paraquat wrote on 12/26/12 at 09:27:51:
I already went over this.

No fair. You are using a government definition. Try asking the public the definition and hear all kinds of crazy things. The public wants them banned. They don't know the definition that the government is tossing out there. These are the same people proposing bans on assault dogs.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 12/26/12 at 09:55:28

I disagree,.. that definition works for me...
.. and under the right conditions, it is possible to to swap a mag in under a second... but, not in the real world...
If you think it is,.. then you'd make an excellent mass murderer... but, if I'm in that room being shot at,.. I'll take that half a second respite, thank you very much...
That half a second will have a chair flying at you, or anything in arms reach... and while the chair is flying I'll be charging...

"Loughner allegedly proceeded to fire apparently randomly at other members of the crowd. The weapon used was reported to be a 9mm Glock 19 semi-automatic pistol with a 33-round magazine....Loughner stopped to reload, but dropped the loaded magazine from his pocket to the sidewalk, from where bystander Patricia Maisch grabbed it. Another bystander clubbed the back of the assailant's head with a folding chair, ... The gunman was then tackled to the ground by 74-year-old retired US Army Colonel Bill Badger, who himself had been shot, and was further subdued by Maisch and bystanders..."

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 12/26/12 at 10:02:49

don't most under the barrell tubular magazines on .22s hold more than 10 rounds? Especially .22 shorts.  
Or are we starting with centerfire vs rim fire?
Is there a size caliber where the definition begins? Could a .17 HMR be an assualt rifle if it had a folding stock?

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #8 - 12/26/12 at 10:05:18

Anything that even looks like an assault weapon is enough to elicit fear or terror in most people even if such guns are not capable of firing 30 round clips in a fully or semi-auto mode. And how is the causal observer able to tell if such a weapon fires a single shot, or 30 rounds a minute?

Everyone knows that true sportsmen do not buy these kinds of weapons to hunt deer or ducks. To want to own such a weapon puts into question the kind of thinking that's going on in such an individuals mind.

I don't think most folks want to take away the family deer rifle. Unfortunately, gun cultists are notorious for pushing the envelop on gun laws. If they were truly responsible, and gave a dang about society, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I think most gun control advocates are not thinking of the hunting rifles or such that rural folks use as a tool. We are more concerned with the arsenals that some people have with no practical need. And automatics, high capacity clips and hoarding are just concerning. If your guns are registered, kept secure, you are licensed, passed a background check with a mental health section, insured for the potential damage your gun may do, and you are willing to accept responsibility (criminal or otherwise for what your guns do) then that seems like acceptable and responsible gun ownership.

Keep your shotguns. Keep your hunting rifles, the assault weapons have got to go.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 12/26/12 at 10:21:11

What about the M1? .30-06.

My two brothers are in WWII reenactment groups; probably 100 M1's total when they all get together.

A standard M1 I think has 5 or 7 rounds. But, they rarely jam and you can swap out a clip in 2 seconds when the empty one pops out. It would not fit the definition of an assault rifle, but there are a lot of dead Nazi's and Japs who'd beg to differ.....

We go to spot in Southern Missouri covered with small pilot holes used for lead mining I think. They fill with water and freeze over in the winter. We stand above them and unload two M1’s (plus my .44) into them. The ice flies 50’ in the air and it rains cubes! The noise is shock and awe!
Hard to imagine anything inspiring more fear than an M1 firing and that ping with the clip flies out. How do you define ‘fear’ or 'dangerous looking' when assigning something as an assault rifle?

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #10 - 12/26/12 at 10:31:50

So according to Star, I can have a gun to hunt but not protect my family. Who will protect them? The police? Not their job. It is my job. In that case, it would be a defensive weapon, not an assault weapon, so is that acceptable? And I surely wouldn't want to fire a high powered deer rifle at an armed intruder and miss. It would go through the wall and potentially kill my neighbor's newborn. But that is acceptable. I just can't have a scary gun that holds enough ammo to defend against a few intruders.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 12/26/12 at 10:49:13

The 30 round, pistol grip folding stock rifle with flash suppressor here works great for the task we give it. Coyote and feral hog removal. Side benefit is the nosy neighbor hasn't come back over since he saw it... Wink

My semi auto handgun holds 8+1. Lisa's semi auto handgun holds 8+1. Mine takes forever to change the magazine (leaf spring the lanyard loop is attached to). Her's you push a button and it flies out, new mag heading up while the old one is ejecting. Too bad fmj .380s will skip off the top of a raccoon's head... They are easy to carry.

My .22 revolver holds 8. The .38 Long Colt and .44 Special hold 6 easy to swap cartridges. My Ruger .45 holds 6, but is percussion cap fired, proper reload takes 15 minutes with the load I like.

.30/30 hold 6 or 7, Lisa's lever gun holds 13-21 rounds. bolt action holds 6+1. Shotguns are 1,2,3 or 5 shot (and the 0ne that holds 3 is rifled slugs).

Do the soot burners (muzzle loaders) count? If so there are a total of 4, 2 single shots, one double barrel, one revolver...

I don't have any selective fire guns. Permit process costs too much. I did used to own a fully functionally M14 though.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 12/26/12 at 10:53:42

Greg;

You’ve hit the nail on the head with the most valid point of all when it comes to assault weapons.

It is first and foremost, my job to protect my family in the manner I see fit based upon the circumstances I find myself in; no one else’s responsibility. To hand this responsibility over to the government goes to the heart of my problem with the feminization of America. I don't want people who think the way Star and Sew do to decide what's best for me and those I'm responsible for.

David Gregory of Meet the Press can pregnant dog and moan about gun control at schools all he wants but his kids go to the same school and the President's kids do. He has no security fears. This is the same as Rosie O’Donnell a few years ago on gun control when it was later revealed her bodyguard was armed. Liberals always have a double standard in place.

I currently do not own one of these ‘assault’ weapons (which is about to change…), but I live in a fairly secure area and never felt the need for one.  If I lived south 100 miles in the meth capital of the US, I’d have already bought one.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 12/26/12 at 11:11:39

WebsterMark wrote on 12/26/12 at 10:02:49:
don't most under the barrell tubular magazines on .22s hold more than

Those are not detachable and therefore not evil.

Enact a 10 round maximum capacity.
How many 10 round magazines can I have? I posted a video of some marines having a speed reloading contest. They are probably faster than I am but I am faster than the next guy.
What did you solve?

IF this stock was pinned open this gun would be legal.

IF this stock was pinned closed it would be legal.

But because you can open or close it at your leisure it is now an assault rifle.
Makes sense, right?

Edit: Sorry abotu the pictures. They were like 4x6 on my screen but when I posted them they became wall paper sized.

--Steve

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 12/26/12 at 11:17:23

You can single out Rosie and David if you want... but,...
"Liberals always have a double standard in place."...
Singling out a couple of examples, and then making the blanket statement that "Liberals always..." is BS...
I don't,.. and Star don't...

... and this is a BS thread...  
Proposing that we define "assault weapon", and then stating that there's no such a thing... is automatically rejecting any answer before it's brought up...

Any definition based on the looks of a weapon, or on any additional functions besides firing power will just be worked around by manufacturers...
A simple, specific, definition is needed... and a maximum 10 round mag capacity will work for 99%...
I don't care how fast a reload can happen... and,.. if it's so simple, why complain?...
If anyone needs more than 10 rounds for home defense,. they need to rethink they're ability to use a gun for defensive purposes...
Spraying that kind of lead in a home, or public place makes you as dangerous as the threat...

I'm done with this argument... no one is expecting or accepting a serious discussion here anyway... Only denial of realities...

Huh...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 16
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 22:01:37

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › I propose we define 'assault weapon'

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.