Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
US High in Gun Ownership, Low in Murder Rate (Read 203 times)
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
US High in Gun Ownership, Low in Murder Rate
02/10/13 at 09:16:09

1. US High in Gun Ownership, Low in Murder Rate

Several reports on gun ownership around the world clearly refute the assertion that the abundance of guns in the United States leads to a high rate of firearm homicides.

Americans are the biggest gun owners by far, with an estimated 270 million civilian firearms, in addition to those used by law enforcement and the military. That’s according to the Small Arms Survey of 178 nations conducted by the Switzerland-based Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies.

In sheer numbers of civilian firearms, the No. 2 nation, surprisingly, is India with 46 million, followed by China (40 million), Germany (25 million), Pakistan (18 million), and Mexico (15 million).

The United States also leads in gun ownership rate, with about 88 firearms per 100 people, according to the most recent Small Arms Survey compiled in 2007.

That is far ahead of No. 2 Yemen, which has 55 firearms per 100 people. Switzerland is third with 46 per 100 people, followed by Finland (45), Serbia (38), Cyprus (36), Saudi Arabia (35), and Iraq (34).

But when it comes to the firearm homicide rate, the United States doesn’t even make the top 25.

According to figures collected by the United Nations’ Office on Drugs and Crime through its annual crime survey, 9,146 Americans were victims of a firearm homicide in the most recent year. That translates to a rate of 2.97 firearm homicides per 100,000 population, only the 27th highest rate in the world.

The highest rate by far can be found in Honduras, 68 homicides per 100,000, followed by El Salvador (40), Jamaica (39), Venezuela (38.9), Guatemala (34), and Colombia (27).

For America’s neighbors, the rate in Mexico is 9.9 per 100,000, and in Canada, 0.5 per 100,000.

It is interesting to note that not only does the United States have a relatively low homicide rate compared to its gun ownership rate, but Switzerland, which ranks third in the civilian gun ownership rate, has only the 46th highest homicide rate, and Finland, with the fourth highest ownership rate, is 63rd on the list.

“The most obnoxious liberal talking points on guns involve the idea that guns, in and of themselves, cause gun violence,” writes CNS News commentator Stephen Gutowski. “In other words, more guns must mean more gun violence.”

But in light of the ownership and homicide figures, he observes: “More guns do not, in fact, mean more gun violence. Guns can be, and commonly are, used in a responsible manner, especially here in the United States

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Re: US High in Gun Ownership, Low in Murder Rate
Reply #1 - 02/10/13 at 12:48:45

I'm going to throw out some pure guesses, and that's all they are; guesses.
Look at the high murder rates in Latin America, and the very low rates in Europe, Canada and the U.S.
My guess is that it's a function of poverty, which usually goes along with a high crime rate.
Switzerland, for example, has one of the highest standards of living in the world, along with some Scandanavian countries.  No need to rob your neighbor, or even kill him to get something to eat.  
Then, or course, is the massive drug business in Latin America.  They don't make much cocaine in Sweden or Switzerland.  We know who it is in the U.S. who kills each other - poverty stricken areas.
Until sometihng happens, and I don't know what, to turn Latin America around, nothing much will change, except I think the region will continue its slide into possible anarchy.  They have the same, or more resources than the U.S. has ever had, but it's the people there - why don't they turn their lives around, get off of corruption and crime, and move forward positively?  I wish I knew.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 02/10/13 at 13:50:39

88 to 100 guns for Americans means nothing,I have 15 my self a lot of Americans don't even have one gun.Guns kill.Thats why they use them for wars.Obama worked in the highest kill rate area in the USA,He knows far more whats best for us then anyone else.Use your own head and don't quote what you read somewhere.I am far more likely to get killed by a cop,In a crossfire,mistaken identity,Or killed in one of their high speed chases because some kid blew a stop sign.  Than a crazy bad guy.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #3 - 02/10/13 at 15:44:26

You're right Bill, it depends a lot on where you live. But I cant say whats right for you and your neigborhood no more than you or Obama can say whats right for me. Obama's family is protected, mine isnt and its my job to protect them. Since the goverment cant protect my family I dont need goverment interference on how to protect mine.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #4 - 02/11/13 at 01:13:02

Until proven otherwise, more gun deaths are caused by apparently harmless, law-abiding citizens who had a shooting accident, or blew a fuse, than professional criminals and organized crime.

With all the "mafia" woohoo that is thrown at me and at Italy, there are fewer deaths by mafia in Italy than robberies gone wrong in Central Park, NYC.

Those statistics are just that, pure numbers. They are offensive to anyone who would use them to prove a point.

One has six ( S I X !) times higher chances of being murdered in the US compared to Canada. THAT rings an alarm.

To claim there are more guns/family in the Yemen, or in Switzerland, than elsewhere, is manipulative.

The Yemen is in a state of civil unrest (PC for civil war) for the last 50 years, due to its strategic location and too many factions trying to obtain control with the "help" of powers, such as Egypt or the UK (why am I not surprised?)
In the Yemen, and all of the Arabian peninsula, a man is a man when he owns three things: a knife, a horse and a rifle, acquired in that order. Sound familiar?
Well, nobody is copying John Wayne, Arabs have been buying "Indian" guns (the Damask wound barrel is actually an ancient technique brought in from India) since the 1300's... even before gunpowder reached Europe.

Switzerland has a regime of compulsory military service which has all able-bodied men to serve and keep their ordnance in the home - hence the high numbers.

Jerry Eichenberger is spot on when he considers crime and poverty, but I'd like to pitch in another two cents' worth, your heritage.
Not your "Minuteman heritage" - I sincerely doubt how many would qualify to serve in a citizens' militia - at least by Euripean standards - but your "winning the West" heritage, where wagon trains abounded and every man and his dog owned a firearm of some sort. Even today, I am certain it is much much easier to find a laid back, office worker own a gun of some kind in Denver, CO, Wichita or Omaha, than his counterpart in NYC, Philadelphia or Boston.
It's dyed in the wool, a birthmark more than a right, to have one or more guns in the home.

Just sayin'  Smiley

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 02/11/13 at 03:49:54

mpescatori wrote on 02/11/13 at 01:13:02:
Until proven otherwise, more gun deaths are caused by apparently harmless, law-abiding citizens who had a shooting accident, or blew a fuse, than professional criminals and organized crime.

With all the "mafia" woohoo that is thrown at me and at Italy, there are fewer deaths by mafia in Italy than robberies gone wrong in Central Park, NYC.

Those statistics are just that, pure numbers. They are offensive to anyone who would use them to prove a point.

One has six ( S I X !) times higher chances of being murdered in the US compared to Canada. THAT rings an alarm.

To claim there are more guns/family in the Yemen, or in Switzerland, than elsewhere, is manipulative.

The Yemen is in a state of civil unrest (PC for civil war) for the last 50 years, due to its strategic location and too many factions trying to obtain control with the "help" of powers, such as Egypt or the UK (why am I not surprised?)
In the Yemen, and all of the Arabian peninsula, a man is a man when he owns three things: a knife, a horse and a rifle, acquired in that order. Sound familiar?
Well, nobody is copying John Wayne, Arabs have been buying "Indian" guns (the Damask wound barrel is actually an ancient technique brought in from India) since the 1300's... even before gunpowder reached Europe.

Switzerland has a regime of compulsory military service which has all able-bodied men to serve and keep their ordnance in the home - hence the high numbers.

Jerry Eichenberger is spot on when he considers crime and poverty, but I'd like to pitch in another two cents' worth, your heritage.
Not your "Minuteman heritage" - I sincerely doubt how many would qualify to serve in a citizens' militia - at least by Euripean standards - but your "winning the West" heritage, where wagon trains abounded and every man and his dog owned a firearm of some sort. Even today, I am certain it is much much easier to find a laid back, office worker own a gun of some kind in Denver, CO, Wichita or Omaha, than his counterpart in NYC, Philadelphia or Boston.
It's dyed in the wool, a birthmark more than a right, to have one or more guns in the home.

Just sayin'  Smiley

Not so in the US; the vast majority of gun deaths are from gang/criminal activity, often involving drug use/sale.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 02/11/13 at 05:01:21

Not correct. This is the type of nonsense that passes for news on the networks, but let's keep a slightly higher standard of truth shall we?....

That's like saying urban auto drivers have 6 times higher chance of an accident that rural drivers and then conclude rural drivers are safer. Not necessarily true. Canada has maybe three population centers similar in size to several dozen large population centers in the US.  Plus these 3 Canadian cities do not have nearly the gang activity which is where the vast majority of murders occur. You are quite literally comparing apples to oranges. Again, it makes a nice toss away line on the nightly news or a good ‘fact’ Obama could throw out as reason to issue yet another edict, but there is little reality associated with it.

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #7 - 02/11/13 at 08:29:49

Once more, I raise the question that no one has answered:
Of all of the gun deaths in the U.S., how many are conected with the drug trade, drug use, or gang bangers shooting each other in turf wars?  What groups of people engage in this activity?
I don't you'll find any official numbers, as they wouldn't be politically correct to know and publish.
I care only about the innocent, law abiding people who meet their demise at the business end of a gun, and my guess is that they are few indeed - to the rest, I say "good riddance".

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 02/11/13 at 11:53:52

bill67 wrote on 02/10/13 at 13:50:39:
88 to 100 guns for Americans means nothing,I have 15 my self a lot of Americans don't even have one gun.Guns kill.Thats why they use them for wars.Obama worked in the highest kill rate area in the USA,He knows far more whats best for us then anyone else.Use your own head and don't quote what you read somewhere.I am far more likely to get killed by a cop,In a crossfire,mistaken identity,Or killed in one of their high speed chases because some kid blew a stop sign.  Than a crazy bad guy.

Obama worked in the highest kill rate area in the USA,He knows far more whats best for us then anyone else.

First point you made, Correct you are. Second, again, pure foolishness..

Im guessing youre talking about his time in Chicago.. YOu know, one of the Strictest Gun Control Cities out there.. SOOO, by your own admission, Gun Control DOESnt work,,

AS for Bammy "KNowing whats best for us"?? Youre outta your mind,,still.

Ill keep my right to keep & bear arms, as any Free Man can & should,
Whether or not you people ever learn to read the 2nd amendment has no bearing on the facts that it states. &. I dont care what anyone says, the Founding Fathers didnt write the first part to be some code for making 'The right of the people to keep & bear arms shall not be infringed" mean anything other than Just That.

They had seen tyranny & they meant for the Citizens to be the Sovereigns NOT the government.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 02/11/13 at 12:04:28

How many more would be killed if there wasn't gun control in Chicago.The 2nd amendment allows ever one to have a musket. Thats what they were talking about then.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 02/11/13 at 12:34:37

Does anyone think their would be less killing in Chicago if they took off the  gun control.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #11 - 02/11/13 at 12:40:48

I do. No one in their right mind is gonna come after me if they know I'm armed and a proficient shooter. Drug gang punks are ruling the streets, see what happens if you start shooting back. Start killing them out, they'll get the message. Its a proven statistic gunfree zones have the most shootings.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 02/11/13 at 16:40:59

bill67 wrote on 02/11/13 at 12:34:37:
Does anyone think their would be less killing in Chicago if they took off the  gun control.

Ive posted this at least 6 times, so, Im not doin it again, BUT, IF you actually WANT some truth, go look at what happened in Florida. Tourists were being robbed at such a rate the rental companies stopped tagging their cars.. then they made it legal to defend yourself,, It all changed in a matter of months.
You REally6 dont remember back in the car jacking days when they made carry legal? Car jacking came to a Halt.,.
Look at the murder rate where guns are legal. Bill.. Why isnt it higher than Chicago?
Do you ever even really think or are you just a drone?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #13 - 02/11/13 at 23:50:16

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/11/13 at 16:40:59:
bill67 wrote on 02/11/13 at 12:34:37:

Ive posted this at least 6 times, so, Im not doin it again, BUT, IF you actually WANT some truth, go look at what happened in Florida. Tourists were being robbed at such a rate the rental companies stopped tagging their cars.. then they made it legal to defend yourself,, It all changed in a matter of months.
You REally6 dont remember back in the car jacking days when they made carry legal? Car jacking came to a Halt.,.
Look at the murder rate where guns are legal. Bill.. Why isnt it higher than Chicago?
Do you ever even really think or are you just a drone?

As an outside observer to these facts, and in polite reply to WebsterMark's sarcasm, I can only interpret those events as the Civil Authorities' incompetence, inefficiency or impotence against petty crime.

Of course, Italy has its own problems with criminality, but there is a huge difference between organized crime and petty crime; the latter in uncontrollable, unpredictable and more difficult to trace and intercept.
The first countermeasure to petty crime is presence, diffused, capillary presence of LEOs in the streets.
Here in Italy LEOs never, ever go alone, there is no such thing as the one Deputy or Trooper alone in his cruiser; in Italy they always work in pairs (Police) or in threes (Carabinieri).
This calls for higher numbers of LEOs on the payroll, but it also means that when, at any one time, a police cruiser arrives on the scene, there are two, three LEOs on site.
So I wouldn't be surprised to learn that while Rome and Washington, D.C. have the same number of Police Officers, Rome has fewer Police cars; it works this way.

Here in Rome, my wife is a doctor, and she works for the Local Health Service as a physician who does house calls to terminally ill patients.
She works until 8, 9 p.m.
Does she carry ? She could, by law she's entitled, she only has to fill in the paperwork.
Does she carry ? There is no need to, the crime rate in Rome is so low, she will walk and drive all over town and when she's late my only worry is her dinner is getting cold.

I personally believe it has nothing to do with the 2nd Amendment, or any other source of Law; I personally believe it has to do with the inherent character of a People as a whole; some are more pacate and easy going, others are inherently more aggressive.

As proof of what I'm saying, 15 years ago we lived in England and she worked at ER of the local hospital (Princess Margaret's in Swindon, Wiltshire, it's on Googlemaps) - and when she worked the "week of nights", a week long night shift, I was NOT happy.

So, all in all, it's not about reading what's written in the 2nd Amendment, but what you DO with the right you are granted, and how you handle the responsibilities.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 02/12/13 at 05:03:19

polite reply to WebsterMark's sarcasm,
I wasn't being sarcastic Mpes; i was pointing out you were tossing out numbers as facts which are not even close to being correct.

Fact is; as Jerry pointed out elsewhere; remove the gang shootings and gun violence in the US drops to almost nothing. The girl in Chicago who was in Hopey's inauguration was killed by gang members mistaking her for another gang member who 'invaded their turf". Excuse me punk, but you don’t have a turf….

I’ve been to Italy twice and spent a day in Bergamo just walking around all day. Walked all the way down the hill because the tram was out of service and then roamed the town. Never felt unsafe at all. Why? Was it lack of guns? No. Honestly, and we all know this is the reason; almost everyone has the same color skin. Gun crime in the US is centered around inner city gangs which are chiefly populated by Black Americans. After years and years of immigration, we now have heavy Hispanic gangs as well.

You’re right to a certain degree Mpes; the American culture is to blame. But the reality is, it’s the self-destructive nature of American Black culture that is at the heart of it. That’s why in my mind it was so disappointing for the majority of Hispanic voters to fall in step behind Obama and the Democrats. If they follow the lead of Black Americans and become comfortable with welfare and handouts, if they become comfortable with substandard living conditions;  if they become comfortable with being told to accept their fate rather than pursue a better lifestyle,  then the US is completely screwed.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 00:38:44

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › US High in Gun Ownership, Low in Murder Rate

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.