Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Re: Mini-battery install (Read 302 times)
perajani
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Re: Mini-battery install
11/26/12 at 03:14:36

The topic of Litium batteries have been touched several times, but do you have an idea what to buy?  Shocked

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #1 - 11/26/12 at 07:05:52

Completely off topic.

Q's should be asked in RSD

search Li-Po batteries

brand names escape me now.

WWW   IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #2 - 11/26/12 at 09:46:13

Depends on what you want to do.  Do you want a Lithium battery of the same size and CCA, or do you want a smaller battery so that you can move it to a different location?

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #3 - 11/26/12 at 09:56:07

With a lithium ion battery you get both,.. a smaller size and more CCA.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
perajani
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #4 - 11/26/12 at 10:49:16

Yeps, sorry for posting at wrong side first... BUT back to topic.

I have BCB kit installed and need some mods for winter time. Have to do something otherwise darkness will definatelly kill the mood. So I ordered Raptor, opened carb....
Finally decided to try to install smaller battery in modified Airbox and replace that with a Cone filter.
So trying to Find battery to this space.... or modify batterybox to smaller size and use airbox for other purpose (tools and martini)  Shocked
Antigraphity and others are upto 200usd (inc shipping), chinese LI-PO 150USD, Small acid/gel versions 100 usd....
And if any European brothers (or sisters) are reading this, please also post if any good sources in EU.

IP Logged
jvdb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 11/26/12 at 10:51:52

All the ATV/Motorcycle batteries are Lithium Iron (LiFePO4). Slightly different chemistry than Lithium Ion, and Lithium Polymer.

I have a Shorai in my bike, plan on putting a Ballisitic in the wife's Ryca when it's done. Haven't decided on whether I'll buy the 8 cell or 12 cell Ballistic.

http://www.ballisticparts.com/products/batteries/8cell.php

http://www.ballisticparts.com/products/batteries/12cell.php

http://www.shoraipower.com/s.nl/it.A/id.95/.f

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #6 - 11/26/12 at 17:39:22

I did the mini-battery mod 6 months ago.  I used an absorbed glass mat battery with 6AH and 130 CCA.  This is the one:  http://www.batteriesplus.com/product_search/33984-Xtreme-Permaseal-High-Perfo... It's the Batteries Plus equivalent to the same one Boule'tard used in his mod.  So long as you don't leave the lights on for a long time, it works great - plenty of cranking power.  You could probably put it anywhere you want it; I mounted mine on my swingarm shelf.  I didn't even have to lengthen any wires!  Cheesy

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
SavageCat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Central VA
Reply #7 - 02/07/13 at 08:14:20

HondaLavis wrote on 11/26/12 at 17:39:22:
 I used an absorbed glass mat battery with 6AH and 130 CCA.  This is the one:  http://www.batteriesplus.com/product_search/33984-Xtreme-Permaseal-High-Perfo... It's the Batteries Plus equivalent to the same one Boule'tard used in his mod.  

Thanks for this link...I have a BatteriesPlus in town and they are running a 10% off deal on their stuff....saved me $20 from what is on Amazon and 2 days worth of shipping!!!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 02/07/13 at 09:29:32

I looked at the Ballstic batteries - however they recommend that you use one of their chargers periodically tp "balance" the cells and extend the life of the battery.

I have decided to order one of these batteries - as they are built with the balancing system built into the battery.  For the $ 40 extra I am goiing to use the 12AH battery instead of the 6AH - they are both in the small A size cse.
 http://earthxmotorsports.com/products-page/cbr1000/etx12a/

One of the things that I wonder about mounting the battery under the swingarm and behind the engine case - is the heat.  The battery I am looking to buy has an upper operating temperaure of 60C (140f).  Looking back at a previous thread Verslagen measured the case temperature at the oil filter cover at 170-195 degrees.  That information makes me want to put it up near the stock location where it will be out of the heat.....and out of the spray from the rear tire.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 02/07/13 at 10:31:49

I'd be more worried about the heat from the muffler than the case as heat transfer from a 300°F max case to a plastic box an inch or two away with lots of ventilation can't be a lot.

But from an upward to 1000°F muffler to the brake cable about an inch away... I've melted the cover before.

Put it in an aluminum box with foam padding... no worries.

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #10 - 02/09/13 at 11:12:44

My Double RYCA Build buddy is using the 8-cell version.  No problems.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
perajani
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #11 - 02/09/13 at 12:50:31

Dave wrote on 02/07/13 at 09:29:32:
I have decided to order one of these batteries - as they are built with the balancing system built into the battery.  For the $ 40 extra I am goiing to use the 12AH battery instead of the 6AH - they are both in the small A size cse.
 http://earthxmotorsports.com/products-page/cbr1000/etx12a/

I went for this one too. It´s not cheap, but not the most expensive either.

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #12 - 02/09/13 at 13:52:41

I've been running my mini battery since last July.  Never had any issues, even idling in the Texas heat.

The bracket on the swingarm is used on the CA models for the charcoal canister in the evac system.  If the temp is safe for that, I would assume it's pretty safe for a battery, two.  Just my $0.02

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 12:56:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Re: Mini-battery install

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.