Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Add on fuel filter restriction issues (Read 741 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Add on fuel filter restriction issues
Reply #45 - 11/10/12 at 18:21:09

The main conclusion I reached, which will probably require further experimentation, is that none of the filters can be counted on to prime from dry unless the inlet is lower than the outlet, giving the air in the filter a chance to be pushed along the fuel line to the carburetor.

& Thats an important contusion youve come to. Its just a bit counter intuitive ( Which is smartypants for "dont zaklee make sense when ya first think about it") but, once ya Do think about it,, well,, then its only slightly confusing.. but, it does make sense after a little thot,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #46 - 11/10/12 at 21:20:43

Say you have an empty filter, empty because you drained the system all the way (or you are running a vacsucker and it just did you dirty again).

Now you turn on the gas by hitting the reserve (reserve on a Raptor, or hitting Prime on the stock vacsucker) and the gas flows down and starts to fill up the float bowl.  It takes more time for the gas to flow through the needle valve than the fuel line, so the gas flow to the needle valve is more than enough and the gas begins to back up above the needle valve.

At this point, the hose becomes a two way street through much of its length, passing displaced air up and gas flowing down.  By definition, the volumes must be equal because of displacement, equal gas in and equal air out.

So, during "fill up hose" phase the gas flow down is halved at each of the restriction points in the system.

The filter cavity isn't a restriction as it is large compared to everything else, but the ID of the nipples is a restriction as the passage is smaller than the hose.  Each bend is a possible restriction if it was allowed to pinch the hose down.

The dual "both ways" flow issue ends when the hose is filled up, but the hose won't be filled totally until the bowl, long line, filter and short line are filled.

How long does this take?

On the stock vac petock, it takes a bloody long time with you fumbling around on finding Prime and all.   Times of 60 - 100  seconds was typical on my machine after I got the gas going again in Prime (I could see it in the clear filter when it finally started to trickle and I could see when the filter filled up).    And if you left the vacsucker in the ON position on your vac petcock it was really forever as the gas never flowed.  My Prime worked, after a fashion -- but nowhere as well or as fast as the Reserve on the Raptor worked.

On a Raptor, good gas flow was immediate and the system filled itself back up in 15-20 seconds, float bowl, filter and all.   This was with a 1/4" hose and nipples.

From a dead empty system, the bike is able to start running again when the float bowl gets full.  Generally you can keep it running from this point, but with a vacsucker the bike seems to not like to run at full power until the fuel system fills up all the way.  

Back in my vacsucker failure days, I hated cranking on the starter, so I generally waited until the vacsucker supplied enough fuel to the point the fuel filter got half full before even trying to start it up -- it worked better that way.

================

The Math Involved

area of a circle  =  pi times (the radius squared)

1/4" hose   = .250" hose ID    A = 0.0491 in2
5/16" hose = .315" hose ID    A = 0.0779 in2
3/8" hose   = .375" hose ID    A = 0.1104 in2

So, if this initial flow disruption bothers you, opt for a larger hose size and fit the filter nipples accordingly.  3/8" filter nipples are available as is the 3/8" hose.  5/16" might be a better compromise as they fit the nipples on the petcock and the carburetor better than the 1/4" or the 3/8" hoses do.

Going from my current 1/4" hose ID up to 3/8" hose ID can double my gas flow on fill up, which only offers an advantage really when I am filling the system up after a stall out as the needle valve can be fed happily by either hose size once the gas stacks up over the needle valve.

And, since I Raptored, I don't have those pesky fuel out situations any more like I used to.   My float bowl is full all the time now days.

But for what it is worth, a 3/8" hose and filter can flow gas through the whole system at a rate that during the two way fill up period is about equal to the rate a 1/4" hose and filter can flow when completely filled.  Because the hose volume is doubled though, you lose some time for hose fill accordingly, but your "fuel down" rate to the point of the needle valve is excellent all the time.

The area inside the 3/8" hose is slightly more than doubled compared to the area inside the 1/4" hose.   Expect to have more fun making the bends on the 3/8" hose as the wall thickness and extra diameter work against you on them bend zones.

Smiley     5/16" hose is the best compromise, I think

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #47 - 11/11/12 at 07:13:16

I was not testing petcocks, vacuum or otherwise. I was experimenting with filters. And by the way it is a "vacuum petcock" and not a "vacsucker." "Vacsucker" is merely pejorative propaganda. I also point out that discussion of the petcock is "off topic." While I am being pedantic and obnoxious, I will also point out that it is not a "Raptor" but a "manual petcock" also used on Yamaha's line of Raptor four-wheelers. Since "raptor" also describes several birds of prey, I don't know whether Yamaha could trademark the name - but I bet they tried.

Your theories about air moving one way and gas the other within the fuel line seem good enough, except that my observations seem to show the bubble of air completely blocking the fuel flow. A larger diameter line would help by giving more room for the fuel to get past the bubble. Surface tension seems to be involved, as well. Once the bubble moved completely through the fuel line and into the much larger diameter filter body, there was room for the fuel to pass around the bubble and flow immediately increased. The filter body never filled because the fuel flowed out the bottom as fast as into the top, and the air had nowhere to exit. My test setup had the filter hanging vertically from the line, with the inlet on top. Had there been restriction at the outlet (say a carburetor float needle) things might have differed. Still, the air in the filter body can only leave through one or other of the filter lines. Had my filter been mounted with the outlet on top (as I held it to "prime" it the first time) the air would be pushed out the outlet by the fuel entering the bottom.

I suspect a completely dry filter will allow air to pass easily, while a wet filter will impede air flow because each pore in the filter is blocked with a "film" of gasoline. When the cold snap passes and I can work outside again I might try some experiments with that.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Grayowl

Always learn from
yesterday

North Texas
Reply #48 - 11/11/12 at 08:20:30

Charon Posted :
Reply #44 - Yesterday at 17:23:12      
The main conclusion I reached, which will probably require further experimentation, is that none of the filters can be counted on to prime from dry unless the inlet is lower than the outlet, giving the air in the filter a chance to be pushed along the fuel line to the carburetor. This might also be dependent on the diameter of the fuel line, but I only used 1/4" ID lines. I think the air in the fuel line above the filter (introduced when the line is cut and the little bit of gas drains out) combined with the air in the filter cuts off the fuel flow at the very low pressures involved.

Once the flow got started, I think any of the filters would flow enough to satisfy the demands of the S40/Savage, which only requires about 3 gph at full power. My worry would come if the fuel system were run empty (forgot it was in Reserve or Prime). From dry I would worry the filter might not restart flow.

I found the Durlast FF7144DL (I had - made in China) has about 2.4 PSI of restriction across the filter media and with stock petcock you have to hold the outlet (open to atmosphere) higher than the inlet to get it to fill, so the air had some place to go.  That is the same thing that Charon found with his testing.  The restriction across the media and the air bubble in the filter are enough to cause the limited fuel flow issue that I was seeing on my bike.  In operation the filter would flow once full of fuel  (JOG told me that in one of his posts), but I was concerned about the media restriction if I would run out of fuel at some point.

I found the Fram G2 (Oldfeller’s recommendation) has almost no restriction (less than .1 PSI) across the filter media.  I installed a Fram G2 (made in Israel) on the bike and it was relatively fast to fill with fuel and has been working well on the bike for two tanks full of fuel so far.

I did not intent to start a sh*t storm on the site, but I now have a better understanding of how some of these filters can impact the normal operation of the engine with the stock petcock in place.  The Raptor may have a little bit larger I.D. diameter coming through the petcock and be able to deal with the air bubble better than the stock petcock.  Thanks everyone with your input on my filter question and helping me getting the issue resolved.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #49 - 11/11/12 at 08:36:48

thanks for the sh!tstorm GO, these boys have so little tech to talk about lately.  and this one so easy for the less wrench inclined to get involved with.

Smiley

keep up the good work!

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #50 - 11/11/12 at 08:44:46

Grayowl, this was not a shite storm, it was quite polite actually.  In reality, this discussion really didn't have much to do with you at all.

You simply stumbled upon one of our standard discussion/war topics which got discussed some more and some experiments were done and some more progress was made.

Progress made:  

Charon did gas flow testing and discovered new things that he didn't expect (and neither did anyone else).  Experiments are always such fun that way -- we loves them, we do.

We calculated a simple filter flow test based on the usage of the Savage engine at 1 cup per minute as being ample.

We found all filters can easily flow this amount once filled -- but it points out another issue with the stock vac petcock running your carb out of fuel, the air flow back up the plumbing causes a low flow condition until the line is filled with backed up gasoline.

GyroBob posted a new filter and a new installation method that has some real promise.  

This information was all added to the tech post and the 1/4" hose size was unrecommended with preference going to 5/16 and 3/8" hose sizes.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Grayowl

Always learn from
yesterday

North Texas
Reply #51 - 11/11/12 at 10:06:50

Glad to hear it was not a sh*tstorm and I gave everyone a chance to think tech and some good discussion on the issue.  I have learned a great deal from this site and got some good ideas also.  I am new to world of thumpers and love the one I have, so glad I did not go back with a V Twin from my old days (30 years and two kids ago).  More fun to ride and play with than previous bikes, better mileage too. Grin

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #52 - 11/12/12 at 08:44:08

I just want to comment about the "air lock' conditon.  This is a completely valid concept that is common in the design of water distribution systems.  When designing water lines we "must" include a fire hydrant or air release valve into the system at any high point in the system in order to bleed out trapped air in a system when filling it with water.  What can happen is that the air that is trapped at the top of the system forces the water to flow under the air.....and it can reduce the capacity of the water system dramatically.  If the slopes are steep - it is sometimes impossible for water flow alone to completely push the bubble out - and in an 8" diameter water line you could end up with only 1-2" of water flow under the bubble.  I had always read about this and one day I actaully got to experience it.  One of the small towns I work for had a water main break and after it was repaired - the Mayor called me as they could no longer get adequate water supply for the town.  The system had worked fine for years.....but suddenly they could not get enough water into town.  I came out and looked at where the break had occured and it was at the bottom of a hill.  I found a fire hydrant at the top of the next hill and asked the maintenance department to open the hydrant and check for air.......and after flowing air and water out.....the flow into town was back to normal!

I can see how the tiny inlet/outlet openings in some of the filters could cause a flow problem....especially when air is trapped in the filter housing.  

« Last Edit: 11/13/12 at 05:08:28 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #53 - 11/12/12 at 15:20:57

Yup, with 3/8" hose and filter nipples you will have to go through the extra trouble of having some real clamps at the carburetor and the petcock, but in return for the larger hose size you get at least 1/4" hose size fuel flow at all times, even when you are passing air back up the system on a refill situation.  

The petcock nipple presents the key flow "roadblock" in this 3/8" system but there is no fix for that issue.   This sorta marginalizes the advantages to the 3/8" hose and filter nipples, but it has to help to have only one restriction instead of 3-4 of them.

5/16" on hose and filter nipples is a good compromise as you can use simple spring clips on all the connections and make your key bends a little easier.

1/4" hose is simply a bad idea.  Those filter nipples are TINY and when you cut them in half while moving some air the effective flow rate is pitiful.

==================

The K&N style sideways thick matt media may pose more of a problem "passing air" as the surface area presented to the air isn't nearly as large as on a pleated paper filter.   Plus the gas in a sideways pleated filter has the upper portion of pleats kept relatively "dry" to pass air more readily while the sideways matt of the K&N gets fully wetted each time by gasoline, making more of an osmotic air barrier out of the matt.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Grayowl

Always learn from
yesterday

North Texas
Reply #54 - 11/20/12 at 15:32:04

I found a filter that is available at almost any automotive parts place at a very reasonable cost ($2.50).  It has no media restriction to speak of and pretty desent filtration at 12 microns. It fits up under the frame without any issues and flows good on the stock petcock.  Ran the bike at high speed for 70 miles this afternoon without any fuel starvation issues.

WIX - Fuel Filter
Part Number: 33011
Line: WIX
•      1 year limited warranty
•      UPC: 765809330115
Detailed Description
WIX offers high quality, high efficiency fuel filters for automotive, medium and heavy-duty trucks, as well as farm, construction, mining and other equipment applications.
Some features include:
•  Low initial restriction providing for proper fuel flow and long service life.
•  For fuel water separators, self venting drains allow for efficient and easy draining of water.
•  Materials, designs and construction that ensure WIX fuel filters provide excellent performance under all types of operating conditions.
Style: Fuel (Complete In-Line) Filter
Service: Fuel
Height: 4.125 in.
Outside Diameter (Top): 1.4 in.
Micron Rating: 12
Inlet: ¼ - 5/16
Outlet: 1/4- 5/16

I have even added some restriction with my “u-turn” for the fuel line and it was fine.  That was made out of 5/16 fuel line fittings.

Filter.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #55 - 11/20/12 at 15:47:48

I saw a pretty nifty lookin filter at the Yamaha shop in Longview. It was conical ( NO Not Comical) & had a built in 90. Fuel dropped in, then went out horizontally & the media is the same Crushed Brass lump lookin mess that ya find behind the inlet of an Old Rochester Quadrajet,

IDK how fine it is, mite just stop boulders & smaller rocks..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 12:08:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Add on fuel filter restriction issues

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.