Send Topic Print
All over vibration (Read 135 times)
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
All over vibration
11/16/12 at 19:51:51

Or vibrating all over? I have been running with some slack when letting off or pulling. It's been that way so long I really got used to it. I always suspected the countershaft sprocket but never checked it. I was riding a little last month and I noticed a vibration that came from the heart of the beast. It only vibrates when pulling in gear, and it is definitely coming from under me. Been trying to get time to check it, but I'm putting my bets on the pulley. I'll get back with you when I've checked it. I'll try to remember pictures.  Smiley BTW 2001 with 21,000 miles in good shape.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: All over vibration
Reply #1 - 11/16/12 at 20:07:05

Don't wait long, that shuddering is your gearbox output splines going away and if you wait too long, it will be too late ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 11/16/12 at 22:08:01

Check that front drive pulley,.. (don't just give it a finger wiggle, crank it down with a torque wrench)...  and, check the motor mounts... especially the top ones on the head cover...

If that don't fix it,.. check the zipper on your jacket...
.... (might check that one first)... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 11/17/12 at 03:21:20

NOt a good thing to put off.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #4 - 11/17/12 at 03:53:44

Agreed, either check it out or park her till you have the time to do it. It's not worth the potential damage to the bike along with the incurring cost that would go along with it.   Shocked

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 11/17/12 at 04:41:33

Its not impossible to total one out by wrecking the output shaft. Or, a guy could be forced into learning how to split the cases & replace that shaft.
When the front pulley gets loose it eats the splines in the pulley faster than the ones on the shaft, but the shaft does suffer & will eventually get in such shape that even a new pulley wont fit right. If thats where you are then there are redneck & somewhat temporary solutions.I wouldnt just JB weld it, Id hunt down some shim stock to fill the gap between teeth in a coupla places & some piano wire to fit under the teeth to hold the pulley up & centered on the shaft. 3 spots would do that. Id rotate the new pulley as far clockwise on the shaft as possible, so acceleration would be metal on metal, deceleration would be compressing the JB weld,
Getting good results from redneck repairs requires some technique beyond just slapping epoxy on a problem.
If the OD of the shaft is okay, then the centering efforts wouldnt be needed. But I would want the pulley rotated hard against the splines so acceleration isnt compressing the JB weld. & that would somewhat protect the JB weld during deceleration,

IDK for sure that its even humanly possible to get things in there, but its what Id try.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #6 - 11/17/12 at 07:23:14

Periodically (4000 miles) checking the torque on the retaining nut of the front pulley may be among the most important of the overlooked maintenance items on this bike. Consequences are large.

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #7 - 11/17/12 at 16:04:56

Agreed. She's parked, but my back has been out for over two months, so I'll wake up feeling good one day and launch an all-out assault on the offending cog. I know many on here have similar or worse problems. We live in spurts.  Grin But we get it done fast while we can. My Go Pro has been shipped for Santa. I can't run anymore and mounting a camera on the dash of my truck ain't gonna' get it. Fixing the Savage is a MUST. Happy Thanksgiving to you all.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 11/17/12 at 17:30:40

Chiropractor

Go to the grocery store near you that is all about organic foods, & ask around, Surely theres a store, not a chain, just some guy/family,, who has a place with quality supplements, educated staff, organic foods..

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #9 - 11/20/12 at 18:09:00

Justin, no chiropractor for me. Too many nerves being enclosed by Spinal Stenosis (Narrowing of the canal) BUT I just read your post on redneck repairs. I have assumed all along I can come up with something If standard procedures don't work.  Wink

I started work today after riding up on 4" block and getting daughter to help with getting my Serowprop 2X4 mc stand under the engine. Pulley will slightly move behind tight nut. Looks to be maybe an eigth inch or so. Taking pics, but do not recommend my procedures. Paid $17.54 for 32mm impact socket, so I will be taking the pulley off once a week for a year to recoup my expense. Soaking in some space age solvent tonight. Have the 80 lb (Actual weight...not torque) HF electric impact. May get to take it off tomorrow. Things pop up, you know.  Smiley

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 11/20/12 at 18:26:32

Boofer wrote on 11/20/12 at 18:09:00:
Paid $17.54 for 32mm impact socket, so I will be taking the pulley off once a week for a year to recoup my expense.

Grin Grin Grin...
I don't blame ya'... Grin...

Quote:
Pulley will slightly move behind tight nut. Looks to be maybe an eigth inch or so.

Is that movement with the shaft?,... or actual wiggle on the shaft?...
The former, would be normal,.. the latter, may be trouble...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 11/20/12 at 18:50:40

Boofer wrote on 11/20/12 at 18:09:00:
Justin, no chiropractor for me. Too many nerves being enclosed by Spinal Stenosis (Narrowing of the canal) BUT I just read your post on redneck repairs. I have assumed all along I can come up with something If standard procedures don't work.  Wink

I started work today after riding up on 4" block and getting daughter to help with getting my Serowprop 2X4 mc stand under the engine. Pulley will slightly move behind tight nut. Looks to be maybe an eigth inch or so. Taking pics, but do not recommend my procedures. Paid $17.54 for 32mm impact socket, so I will be taking the pulley off once a week for a year to recoup my expense. Soaking in some space age solvent tonight. Have the 80 lb (Actual weight...not torque) HF electric impact. May get to take it off tomorrow. Things pop up, you know.  Smiley

Another $4.12 & you coulda had a whole set from Harbor Fruit,,

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 01:57:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › All over vibration

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.