Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Where did the electrolyte go? (Read 218 times)
paulchristi
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

My other bike is a
surfboard

Tucson, Arizona
Where did the electrolyte go?
11/19/12 at 11:12:09

Yesterday went out to the bike, key was in on position, battery dead, D'oh!  When I removed the battery to charge it, I saw that all cells were dry.  I probably last checked the level "sometime in the last six months", and have occasionally topped up the cells, but nothing like this.  I don't have the obvious (cracked battery case), so what might cause all your electrolyte to go away?

Thanks!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Where did the electrolyte go?
Reply #1 - 11/19/12 at 11:36:09

Escaped into the electrosphere... Huh...
Wet cell batteries do that... that's why we check them fluid levels...
That's normal,.. nothing wrong... just need to check it more often...
Just add distilled water... in the little holes up top... then charge it a bit...
When it dies,.. get yer'self a gel battery... Wink...

Hey!... yer' in Oro valley... we should meet up sometime... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #2 - 11/19/12 at 19:28:19

When lead-acid batteries are charged, the electrolyte becomes more acidic. When they reach full charge, the charging current begins dissociating (breaking down) the water in the acid. The products are hydrogen and oxygen, and as gasses they escape through the vents on the battery. If you watch the battery the gas bubbles up and looks as if the water is boiling, hence the terminology of "boiling the battery dry." Hot weather makes this worse. The only cure is to add the water back. Trouble is, if the plates are exposed to air and allowed to dry out, they may never recover and the capacity of the battery will be permanently reduced, perhaps to the point of unusability.

Maintenance-free batteries have similar problems. However the plate chemistry is slightly different which reduces water dissociation. The batteries are sealed, so the gases cannot leak out (but they do have overpressure reliefs), and they have a small amount of catalyst which helps the hydrogen and oxygen to recombine into water. Thus no water need be added for the life of the battery, nor can it be. If the battery is severely overcharged the gases escape through the pressure relief, and cannot be replenished.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #3 - 11/19/12 at 19:36:34

BTW, electrolyte tends to disappear proportional to the strength of the charging current; i.e., higher current will evaporate it sooner.   So make sure there isn't something else going on?   Namely, you might start the bike and rev it a little while checking the voltage.   If the regulator isn't properly regulating then you could be losing the liquid quicker than normal.   Also, if your level has fallen below the top of the plates, the battery may have already started sulfating (white power between plates), and you'll need a new one soon.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 11/19/12 at 20:00:49

That Italian chick,, dang,, what was her name,, Porate', Porate'

Thats it,, Porate',, sweet little thing,, had a boyfriend, into magic,, he used her in the disappearing girl part of the show,, Dont know what ever happened to poor little Eva Porate'..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #5 - 11/19/12 at 20:08:44

To be pedantic and annoying, the water does not evaporate, except in quite high temperatures. The charging current causes the water to dissociate, that is, break down into its component hydrogen and oxygen. These gases are what escapes. The practical effect is that the water disappears. The dissociation is minor until the battery nears full charge, at which time the voltage regulator is supposed to reduce the current to a level at which dissociation slows.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 11/19/12 at 20:18:47

I dont mind ya being pedantic, but harpin on what ya know gets old..

& not only that,, ya messed up my FUN, dude!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #7 - 11/19/12 at 20:31:05

That's why I threw in "annoying."

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 11/19/12 at 20:32:17

oh,, right,, dang..

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 11/19/12 at 21:31:54

After careful study of what Charon said,.. I believe it confirms my original hypothesis...
It escapes into the electrosphere...  Huh...

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #10 - 11/19/12 at 22:05:11

what amperage were you charging it at ?
me thinks you "cooked/boiled" the water right outta er..
2 amps is plenty, 6 amps too much for sickle batt"smart"charger is better.

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 11/19/12 at 22:38:23

If Paul's like me,.. and remembers checking the fluid "sometime in the last 6 months"... that logically means he checked it 2 years ago...
I regularly check my tire pressure... and every time I do,.. it's either really cold or really hot outside... and I'm down to about 12lbs front and 20lbs rear... I think they're called seasons...
... and I swear I check my oil recently... once...
... and these may be the same jeans I had on last week...
It's the quickening...
I'm not worried about it anymore...
The world ends in a month or so, anyway...
I got enough air, oil, and jeans for that...
Huh...

No offense to you, Paul,... I'm just enjoying this thread...  
Thinkin' deep thoughts... takin' stock of my life...
...(I may need to wash underwear,.. one load,.. before the calender stops)... (I'm well stocked with Raman noodles,... hope there's boiling water in the everafter)... (I'm sure there will be in mine)...
Huh...

PS... Thump's right,... overcharging will cook off yer' electrolytes... ...into the electrosphere...
Ohhh!... I just invented anti-gravity!... but I lost it...
Had it there for a second though... Huh...

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #12 - 11/20/12 at 06:32:33

Charon wrote on 11/19/12 at 20:08:44:
To be pedantic and annoying, the water does not evaporate, except in quite high temperatures. The charging current causes the water to dissociate, that is, break down into its component hydrogen and oxygen. These gases are what escapes. The practical effect is that the water disappears. The dissociation is minor until the battery nears full charge, at which time the voltage regulator is supposed to reduce the current to a level at which dissociation slows.

In other words... in molecular absorption spectrometry, the absorption cross section σ is expressed in terms of a linestrength, S, and an (area-normalized) lineshape function, Φ. The frequency scale in molecular spectroscopy is often in cm−1, wherefore the lineshape function is expressed in units of 1/cm−1, which can look odd but is strictly correct. Since N is given as a number density in units of 1/cm3, the linestrength is often given in units of cm2cm−1/molecule, disassociating itself atomically; thus, the liquid disappears.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 11/20/12 at 06:34:19

If I woulda been standin there I woulda slapped the Scarecrow & Snatched that diploma right back outta his hand,,

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #14 - 11/20/12 at 06:36:09

360k+ wrote on 11/20/12 at 06:32:33:
Charon wrote on 11/19/12 at 20:08:44:

In other words... in molecular absorption spectrometry, the absorption cross section σ is expressed in terms of a linestrength, S, and an (area-normalized) lineshape function, Φ. The frequency scale in molecular spectroscopy is often in cm−1, wherefore the lineshape function is expressed in units of 1/cm−1, which can look odd but is strictly correct. Since N is given as a number density in units of 1/cm3, the linestrength is often given in units of cm2cm−1/molecule, disassociating itself atomically; thus, the liquid disappears.

I think the squirrels drunk it .. heard about an acid trip.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 00:30:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Where did the electrolyte go?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.