serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Dragon Tranny Mod
10/05/12 at 08:15:36

With too many projects and not enough time, I'm just yesterday at the point of extracting the engine from the frame (or vice versa!).  I have the parts and (most of) the confidence I need to take the puzzle apart and put it back together.  I do NOT plan to weld the nut, as I believe that torquing it down properly (which I didn't do before) will be the remedy.

BTW, Lancer is offering me one (or more) of his engine-bottom-ends.  I'm thinking about getting one to tinker with and see if there are any possibilities to upgrade to a 6-speed wide-range transmission, either a drop-in-ready-fit from another model or getting one fabricated to fit.  Of course I haven't even SEEN the tranny in person yet, but that's coming soon.  I would welcome any thoughts from forum members.

« Last Edit: 10/10/12 at 22:13:48 by verslagen1 »  

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Dragon Tranny Mod
Reply #1 - 10/05/12 at 08:43:25

Instead of replacing the entire trans gear set with a 6-speed set, would it not be easier to replace just the 5th gear with another one that has longer legs ?
Are there any other Suzuki's with compatable gears that will fit the gear shaft ?

« Last Edit: 10/10/12 at 22:14:00 by verslagen1 »  
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Dragon Tranny Mod
Reply #2 - 10/05/12 at 09:09:58

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 10/04/12 at 15:54:51:
Yup, I like that road too.

Did you ever fix your output shaft?    We had a couple of guys mention since then that they have welded their sprocket & nut to the shaft, mainly because the full real repair is uneconomically feasible and they had nothing to lose by doing the weld.   Apparently it works until the weld joint or the shaft itself fails, then you are no worse off than before.

Once had a boss that apprenticed as a machinist in a coal mine.
He had to go in one day to repair a drive shaft on one thing or another.
sheared the woodruff key and boogered the slot.  He had to hand file a new slot and fit a new key.

Naturally, we don't need to hand file anything, wees got power tools booohahaha.

« Last Edit: 10/10/12 at 22:14:15 by verslagen1 »  
WWW   IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Dragon Tranny Mod
Reply #3 - 10/05/12 at 11:40:21

LANCER wrote on 10/05/12 at 08:43:25:
Instead of replacing the entire trans gear set with a 6-speed set, would it not be easier to replace just the 5th gear with another one that has longer legs ?
Are there any other Suzuki's with compatable gears that will fit the gear shaft ?

Now SEE, that's why I come to this forum!  Because my approach is to assume and envision the most extensive and involved solution will be needed when maybe just ONE LITTLE COG could be the ticket!  I am grateful to you Lancer and to the other great minds in the Suzuki Savage community!

« Last Edit: 10/10/12 at 22:14:29 by verslagen1 »  

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Dragon Tranny Mod
Reply #4 - 10/05/12 at 13:25:35

serenity3743 wrote on 10/05/12 at 11:40:21:

Now SEE, that's why I come to this forum!  Because my approach is to assume and envision the most extensive and involved solution will be needed when maybe just ONE LITTLE COG could be the ticket!  I am grateful to you Lancer and to the other great minds in the Suzuki Savage community!

The problem is finding that 1 compatible gear will take 30 transmissions.  Unless you can acquire a compatible gear list from Mr zuk.

« Last Edit: 10/10/12 at 22:14:41 by verslagen1 »  
WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Dragon Tranny Mod
Reply #5 - 10/05/12 at 16:55:10

And no, gentle reader, it isn't a clique.   It isn't "special service".

It is ....... the Dragon Riders.  

We go off every summer to risk death and bleed together, drink together and slay Hurleys together.   We also trust each other enough to follow each other up roads with no names that SUDDENLY END and become dirt goat paths that go down the opposite side of the mountain.

And we don't sell the durn shirts any more either, mainly because we can't print shirts that keep score without creating evidence.

Grin

« Last Edit: 10/10/12 at 22:14:53 by verslagen1 »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Dragon Tranny Mod
Reply #6 - 10/08/12 at 08:02:06

I forgot to add that another reason I don't want to go with the weld is that I don't think there would be any sure way to get the sprocket "plumb and square" on the shaft because there is so much wear where the teeth are supposed to be.  I wanna fix it right and put another 90,000 miles/smiles on the bike.      Wink

« Last Edit: 10/10/12 at 22:15:05 by verslagen1 »  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Dragon Tranny Mod
Reply #7 - 10/08/12 at 09:29:25

serenity3743 wrote on 10/05/12 at 11:40:21:

Every once in a while this solution runs through my mind.   There are tons and tons of bikes that are potential donors.....but how would one go about finding the "right" gear.  Anything could be a potential donor.....T500, GS550, GT750....the list is endless.  It could even be a 1st or 2nd gear that is used and the cogs are swapped.....maybe even the 1st or 2nd from our own transmission.  For those who are really adventurous you might even find some gears that are the right ratio and spacing........and grind down our our gears and hollow out the other gears and have them brazed or welded together?

I'm off to look at a parts list......don't suppose they list the ratios in the parts book?   UPDATE: Nope....nothing in our transmisson that will work.  1st is integral with the clutch shaft.  Third is the only one that might be reversable - but it appears 3rd has 4 dogs to engage the adjoining gear while 5th appears to only have 3 dogs.

« Last Edit: 10/10/12 at 22:15:15 by verslagen1 »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Dragon Tranny Mod
Reply #8 - 10/10/12 at 08:01:55

Dave, thanks for looking at that for me.  I couldn't decipher all the info that you did just by looking at the expanded drawing of the tranny.  But I will be exploring other options.     Wink

« Last Edit: 10/10/12 at 22:15:27 by verslagen1 »  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Dragon Tranny Mod
Reply #9 - 10/10/12 at 10:58:07

I just looked at the parts list for the DR650 transmission.....that was not real promising.  The drawings look very similar with only a few clips and washers moved around....the gears look very similar....except that they have 4th gear in the location where our 5th gear is located.  The chances of their 4th gear being a taller ratio than our 5th is not real good.  I can't find the number of teeth listed for either bike anywhere.
The 6th gear from the DL650 looks the same as our 5th gear in the photos......but no way to know for sure without getting one and knowing what the tooth count is.

« Last Edit: 10/10/12 at 22:15:39 by verslagen1 »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Dragon Tranny Mod
Reply #10 - 10/10/12 at 11:17:36

for the savage '96

last row shows ratio for 3rd gear swap w/5th

« Last Edit: 10/10/12 at 22:15:49 by verslagen1 »  
WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Dragon Tranny Mod
Reply #11 - 10/10/12 at 22:07:53

Vercey

A 30 drive and 19 driven for 5th would be nice ,  Any chance of reversing 2nd for 5th ?

And the speedometer would still be right !

Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Dragon Tranny Mod
Reply #12 - 10/10/12 at 22:17:52

I have no idea, of no idea if the 21/24 swap will work either.

just wistful thinking till someone splits a case.

which I might do if I ever get my house in order.

anybody got a round 2it?

WWW   IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #13 - 10/11/12 at 00:06:57

The two 23t cogs (4th drive, 5th driven) have different part numbers so I must assume there are differences between drive and driven that prevents them from being directly interchangeable.

For what's involved with this it seems to be much more economical to switch to chain drive and change your sprockets.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 10/11/12 at 00:22:16

of course I wouldn't split the cases just to swap the gears   Grin

WWW   IP Logged