s40 advice needed (Read 133 times)
07s40scotty

If it doesn't kill
you- it makes you
stronger

TN
s40 advice needed
10/02/12 at 20:08:04

Greetings all! I have a few questions about my white 2007 s40. I bought the bike in April with 11,600 miles & it now it has 15,900. It has a small oil leak- about a quarter sized drop on pavement every 3 days ( still unable to locate the source). I use rotella synthetic oil. I've painted the headlight, both covers the muffler & the belt guard black as well as the blinkers- looks pretty cool to me. I added a slim memphis shade & raised the seat an inch and added heated grips as well as some Kuryakyn mini wing pegs. Thats all the cosmetic crap.

Mods & Service... Its got fresh oil & filter and air filter(stock) in the last 100 miles or so. I've done the spark plug access mod( plug looks dark which from what I've read here is too rich?) and drilled out the plug over the mixture screw and replaced the spacer on top of the needle with 3 #4 washers. Next I added a Jardine slip-on( stock is just toooo quiet) and a stage 1 dyna jet kit with a new needle (bike has Mikuni BS40 stock carb) & I chose the 2nd biggest sized main jet in the kit ( I think it was a 146 but my memory sucks)
Heres where I'm at a wall... Bike backfires alittle in the muffler on acceleration ( 1 pretty loud POP) unless I tickle the throttle alittle bit as I shift giving it alittle fuel. On a hard deceleration from anywhere above about 45MPH it afterfires or backfires in the same way but all the way thru the gear as I'm useing the engine as a break. With my jardine being on the loud side of loud sometimes it scares the crap out of me as well as anyone within a 100ft. The bike makes a loud afterfire when I turn off the bike. Is there a way that I can stop this??
I have tuned it as well as I can without a tach -weirdest thing though I can turn the mixture screw all the way clockwise it won't bottem out the bike, it doesn't seem to affect it at all. Counterclockwise will increase the idle slightly at 2 turns out- so thats where I left it. It idles good I think ( I'm far from knowing what I'm doing)- it runs smooth and doesn't sound like its too low like when I bought it.

I have a mikuni 155 main to put in the carb and a 55 pilot jet. I have the carb off the bike and plan to look at TEV if I can get the 3 screws off. The pilot jet that is currently in the carb is the original 52.5 that came stock on the bike I think cause it was all messed up by someone as I looked at it this afternoon. Is there a trick to gettin that bad boy out? I'm assumeing its a flat head like the Main jet but its hard to tell. I sprayed the heck out of it with some blaster. I plan on going out in search of something for my impact drill that will fit in that tube tomorrow- any ideas to get it out?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: s40 advice needed
Reply #1 - 10/02/12 at 20:42:59

07s40scotty wrote on 10/02/12 at 20:08:04:
It has a small oil leak- about a quarter sized drop on pavement every 3 days ( still unable to locate the source).

Probably the head plug leak, where in relation to the bike does the oil drip?

Quote:
Heres where I'm at a wall... Bike backfires alittle in the muffler on acceleration ( 1 pretty loud POP) unless I tickle the throttle alittle bit as I shift giving it alittle fuel. On a hard deceleration from anywhere above about 45MPH it afterfires or backfires in the same way but all the way thru the gear as I'm useing the engine as a break. With my jardine being on the loud side of loud sometimes it scares the crap out of me as well as anyone within a 100ft. The bike makes a loud afterfire when I turn off the bike. Is there a way that I can stop this??

A jardine is a very open pipe, you may not be able to fix it w/out every being perfect.
1st, make sure header bolts are tight and the muffler clamp doesn't leak.  use a candle flame to detect a leak while it's running.

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #2 - 10/02/12 at 20:47:37

In the Double RYCA build we had a heloova time getting the three screws off of the TEV.  We had almost started obliterating the slots in the screw heads when we backed off, got a little patience from somewhere and tried this technique:

Use a flat punch.  See reply #62 at http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1304722902/60

The trick is to gently tap the screw on alternate sides until it moves a fraction.  At that point it is a lot easier to take out.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 10/02/12 at 21:06:02

Did I just miss the part about the Verslavy or cam chain?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
07s40scotty

If it doesn't kill
you- it makes you
stronger

TN
Reply #4 - 10/02/12 at 23:23:46

The oil seems to come out of the bolt between the kickstand & footpeg bracket on the otherside of the bike(the back one). I've cleaned it off under the bike probably 15 times & still cant figure it out drivin me crazy! I actually bought the jardine before I sarted snooping around this sight 3 months ago or so... I've seen that a lot of folks here put on a harley dyna- which is probably what I should have done, but the jardine does a pretty good job of annoying the HD folks when I wiz by them lol. Cheesy Just wish there was a magic trick to tuning it in. I'll try the candle test for leaks & make sure the header is tight.

Thanks for the punch tip! I'll try it before attacking the 3 screws with my impact driver. Figured I should check the TEV while I had the the carb on a table & its alittle too chilly and wet to ride.

The cam chain & adjuster scares the heck outta me. I can sometimes figure out takin stuff apart- but back together hurts my brain+ the suzuki service manual is full of #s that arent there in diagrams and USELESS pics. I do realize that I need to check it tho & plan on tryin to get my hands on Mr. verslagen's tricked out adjuster.

Thanks guys for the info! Am slightly saddened by the jardine tuneing prospects tho

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 10/02/12 at 23:30:16

If IM gettin what youre sayin, its a bolt that holds the pegs? If so, tighten the peg bolts. That mite even settle some vibrations out of it,

Those bolts help clamp the engine shut,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
07s40scotty

If it doesn't kill
you- it makes you
stronger

TN
Reply #6 - 10/03/12 at 18:21:39

Thanks 0-guy- I'll see if thay helps

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print