Send Topic Print
The small battery swap (Read 488 times)
docwho
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

The small battery swap
09/18/12 at 06:45:48

All you guys that have done the small battery swap, do you have any regrets? And what battery did you use? I love the way the bike looks with the battery box gone. Cool
Cheers, Pat.

« Last Edit: 09/18/12 at 12:44:30 by Oldfeller--FSO »  
  IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Re: THe small battery swap
Reply #1 - 09/18/12 at 12:05:37

I tried the 4 cell lithum and it cratered within 2 weeks I switched to the AGM type battery and its still going strong much nicer for doing carb tweaks since you don't have to take anything off to get the carb off.

« Last Edit: 09/18/12 at 14:06:49 by clearush »  
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 09/18/12 at 12:33:37

clearush wrote on 09/18/12 at 12:05:37:
I tried the lithum and it cratered within 2 weeks.

Aren't you the one that bought the smallest battery they made? The one clearly stated that it's for starting 250cc motorcycles? And then proceeded to try to sell it to us after you blew it up?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 09/18/12 at 12:44:13

I too am following along with interest, as the next battery I get is going into the place my charcoal cannister sits in and I too am losing the battery box and airbox I do believe .....

I may fill up the available space with as large an AGM as will fit into the space though, as I like reserve capacity for cold mornings and such.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: The small battery swap
Reply #4 - 09/18/12 at 13:22:38

I've been thinking about that 8 cell battery too.

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 09/18/12 at 13:24:34

verslagen1 wrote on 09/18/12 at 13:22:38:
I've been thinking about that 8 cell battery too.

At least the 8 cell

IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #6 - 09/18/12 at 14:12:56

Cavi Mike wrote on 09/18/12 at 12:33:37:
clearush wrote on 09/18/12 at 12:05:37:
I tried the lithum and it cratered within 2 weeks.

Aren't you the one that bought the smallest battery they made? The one clearly stated that it's for starting 250cc motorcycles? And then proceeded to try to sell it to us after you blew it up?

Didn't try to sell it, just asked if anyone wanted it for 1/2 price, I never posted it for sale, so no need to be a douche about it.   Sad

And yes it is specified for 350 singles and 550 multi street bikes. And it did work for about 2 weeks, and the last two days it became difficult to start not getting solid spark requiring multiple cranks to get it going which helped to run the battery down. I've pulled off my decomp noid and went with the thumb lever I may give it another go and see what happens.

I modified my original post to specify the 4 cell lithium so as to not  confuse it with the 8 cell which I have no experiance.

Some one is trying out the 8 cell but I'm not sure who.

The AGM is 1/2 the price of the lithum battery and not much heavier.

IP Logged
docwho
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 09/18/12 at 14:44:28

I must say the Ballistic evo2 8-cell looks really good, but shipping from U.S to Ireland mail+customs duty could be $200 plus, what a pita. So for me a small AGM battery like what Boul’tard did on his bike will do for me. But half the amps of stock item is a bit of a worry.
Cheers, Pat.      

IP Logged
ohio thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/18/12 at 15:18:12

this is the lithium battery i have in my  bike. bit pricey, but havent had any troubles with it.

IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/18/12 at 17:11:32

Ive got the Ballistic 8-cell in my bike. It works great. Ive been using it for about 4 months and no problems what so ever so far.

I like it, even at the $140 price tag.  At first I was dead set against it for the price, but I bought it as a last minute type of deal and just ate the cost.  

Im really happy I did buy it. Its about 9 lbs lighter than the original and super tiny.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 09/18/12 at 18:04:06

WWW   IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #11 - 09/18/12 at 19:57:22

verslagen1 wrote on 09/18/12 at 18:04:06:

I'd jump for the "big" one, the 4s3p battery. That's the one I bought. He ships DHL Air, I got mine in 4 days. It's small enough to fit inside the exhaust bracket.

IP Logged
residualsilver
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks! darn right!

Reply #12 - 09/18/12 at 21:53:29

Im looking for a small one to replace the brick I just bought... what are the real up sides to a smaller battery and will it work in 30 degree weather?

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #13 - 09/18/12 at 22:48:50

residualsilver wrote on 09/18/12 at 21:53:29:
Im looking for a small one to replace the brick I just bought... what are the real up sides to a smaller battery and will it work in 30 degree weather?

The biggest issues with using a lithium type battery are that the charging system will not correctly and fully charge the battery, and 2 cold weather performance,  once temps reach 32°F or lower the battery's capacity is greatly reduced since the internal resistance of lithium batteries goes up as the temp drops.  If you plan on cold weather riding and using a lithium battery you have 2 options to keep you trouble free.

1.  Make it easily accessible to remove so you can bring it inside with you when parked.

2.  Use the next size up battery from what is suggested from most manufacturers.  In our case I would use a min of a 12cell if you plan on cold weather riding. If it were me and I bought an 8 cell I would follow what I suggested in 1.

As for the real upside to the use of lithium type batteries.  They are much smaller and can be mounted in a hidden place. They weigh much less, even with the price of them it's hard to shed the same amount of weight for the price, and lastly they are a more constant voltage then lead-acid batteries, meaning your starter will actually spin faster with the lithium battery because the voltage drop is very minimal. But when a lithium battery loses charge it drops quickly on the voltage, so if you hit the point that is starts turning slower get that battery on charge or you could lose your investment as lithium batteries don't like being in a discharged state.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #14 - 09/19/12 at 00:52:37

I was concerned with the low-temp functionality of mine as well so I yanked the heating element out of a  cheap eBay bottle-warmer and wrapped it around the battery. Within half an hour the entire battery is almost too warm to handle. I'm very satisfied.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 18:57:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The small battery swap

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.