Send Topic Print
RYCA fork mod (Read 135 times)
T2

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Frederick, CO
RYCA fork mod
09/18/12 at 21:01:15

After reading the ride evaluation of some of completed RYCA builders, I'm exploring a couple of options for my RYCA project handle bar/clip on mounting that would result in higher bars.  

My first idea is to use a later year low bar mounted in the stock clamps - without using risers.  In this option I would install the fork mod kit from RYCA.

My second idea is to raise the fork tubes in the top triple tree enough to mount  the clip ons above the triple tree.  The spacers used in the RYCA fork kit are slightly taller than the height of the clip on mounts, so it seems that one could accomplish the same front end lowering in this manner (and not use the internal kit spacers.)  If this approach seems feasible, what are your thoughts on using the stock fork springs instead of the Progressive kit springs?  

My Medicare-aged spine needs to sit a bit more upright, and the initial ride reports of completed kit builders seem to be that the Progressive springs coupled with the lowering kit is a bit harsh on crappy roads - of which I have plenty to choose!

Ideas?

Thanks,
Terry

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: RYCA fork mod
Reply #1 - 09/18/12 at 21:07:26

If you are medicare aged, you might find a good bit of the RYCA seating and riding ergonomics to be beyond what your old body can take without telling you all about it in somewhat stronger terms .....

We have 20 somethings that report their fresh young bodies can't take much over an hour or so before their young bodies begin talking to them, especially the wrists.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #2 - 09/18/12 at 21:44:03

I am considering getting rid of the clip-ons altogether and using a short set of drag bars mounted as low as possible.  That would move the location of the handgrips about 3" rearward, about 1" higher, and about 4" closer together.  The clip-ons are cool, but they are uncomfortable around town.  They are great at speed in the twisties, though.

Another thing I would like about a set of narrower drag bars is that I think, aesthetically, the RYCA clip-on set up is just too wide to look good.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/19/12 at 08:29:27

My bike is NOT a RYCA, but certainly inspired by them.
I didn't want clip-on's either, in part because they are TOO far forward and down, and in part because of the cost. I bought a practically new stock bar from a newer Triumph Bonneville that I think will work perfectly for me (If I ever get the danged thing finished!) They were about $30-$35 I think...

It's low, but not quite as low, and sitting on the bike now, I really like the feel of it ergonomically. I'm not expecting supreme comfort from this bike; that's not the point, but I want several hours of pain free riding for sure. I'd like to be able to go all day on the thing, and with these I think I can; we shall see. They are somewhat wide; probably about the same as the clip-on's, but I like that personally. It feels more stable to me on the road.

OH, and I meant to add that with the Savage, you CAN'T just raise the fork tubes. They are not clamped into the upper triple tree like a lot of other bikes; the top fork nut screws down into the triple tree, holding the whole thing together... That's why the RYCA guys had to go to all the trouble of doing the 2" lowering mod to the forks. I doubt they would have done all that if they could have just slid the tubes up. I know I wouldn't have!!   Grin

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #4 - 09/19/12 at 09:19:20

Cool!!  Sort of a mild version of clubman bars.  I might try that very thing.

What headlight shell is that?  What's the lens diameter?

IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/19/12 at 13:40:56

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #6 - 09/19/12 at 16:53:18

Those bars look REALLY good. How is clearance with the tank?

IP Logged
T2

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Frederick, CO
Reply #7 - 09/19/12 at 17:10:23

Thanks for all the input guys, I appreciate it.  Now, I'm wondering about doing the fork spacer mod, but using the stock front springs.  I've ridden sport bikes with low bars since 1987, so the set up as envisioned by RYCA will work for the short rides that are likely - but I'm always fiddling in my mind!

I'm also starting to fiddle with mounting a Suzuki "train light" (1982-83 8" GS1100E) for a headlight.  If nothing else, this ought to kill a lot of bugs while riding!  Roll Eyes

Terry

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #8 - 09/19/12 at 18:05:26

I've been trying to find a light like that for over a year.  The only thing I found was one on ebay for $480.  n o thanks.

Some models of the GS1100/1150 had that huge light, as did the Virago xv920r (enclosed chain drive model), and the Seca 650 XJ650R.

That light with an HID kit would really be something.  Besides, I like the way it looks.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/19/12 at 18:48:42

Cavi Mike wrote on 09/19/12 at 16:53:18:
Those bars look REALLY good. How is clearance with the tank?

Thanks Mike! Clearance to MY tank is awesome; but it's 1969 T350 tank, so it's MUCH narrower than the stock tank. These bars are nice and wide though; I'm pretty sure that if the clip-on's work with the RYCA tank; these bars should certainly clear...

IP Logged
T2

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Frederick, CO
Reply #10 - 09/19/12 at 20:03:10

Gyrobob - start trolling over here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/index.php

I've owned three of the '83 GS1100's, one new, two used over the years.  That headlight is just a great look!  I found two in the used parts section of the GS forum in the last year - for about $100 including the  trim ring, bucket and bulb.

Terry

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/23/24 at 23:00:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › RYCA fork mod

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.