Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
Never owned or ridden a bike (Read 1021 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Never owned or ridden a bike
Reply #30 - 09/07/12 at 08:22:03

[/quote]
My 110 5'2" wife started on a Yamaha SR 500 higher seat than the S40,Her buddy help her learn,Me,40000 miles never went down,Most miles in a day 500,On a GR 650 Suzuki. [/quote]

I tried to teach my wife to ride on a Suzuki TY80 last year in my yard.  She got confused and while turning applied front brake and squeezed throttle on at the same time.  She ended up against a tree, upside down, in a pile of lumber and metal stakes for the outdoor shower I was building.  I am afraid that if it had been a 350 pound, 650cc motorcycle I would be a widower now.  I will never again start someone out on a bike with a clutch for their first ride.  Once they can gracefully drive a scooter or minibike.....then we can move on to a bike with a clutch.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #31 - 09/07/12 at 08:44:22

My wife learn on a straight country road till she had the shifting and take off down pat,Then slight curves,Riding a motorcycle is just like riding a bicycle,

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
2011suzukis40
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 09/07/12 at 09:28:07

I was in your same shoes back in febuary. I am 30 years old and before febuary I had never ridden any type of motorcycle. I never rode dirt bikes or anything even close. I took the MSF course for beginners. It was the best $175 I ever spent. I went into the class knowing nothing about motrcyles and being a little intimidated by them and came out full of confidence. I shopped around and got a great deal on a new Suzuki S40. I rode it home and have been riding back and forth to work everyday since then. I am 6'2" and 200lbs and the bike is a little on the small side for me but is still lots of fun to ride. I feel like I started out on the right bike. I proboly could have started on something like a 800cc or even a little bigger and still been ok but this bike is very economical. It inexpensive to buy and to maintain. Its very reliable according many reviews that I have seen. I have had the bike about 6 months now and never had a problem with it. Eventually I will proboly move up to a bigger bike for cross country riding but will keep this bike for in town and short commutes. All in all its a great bike to start on. Smiley

IP Logged
JodyBlip
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 09/07/12 at 10:53:05

WOW lots of positive feedback i dabble in lots of things and have been in lots of forums i must say this is the most positive welcome i have ever seen to "newb" type questions. thanks a ton for all the input the friendly people and feedback here alone make me wanna get one now just so i can hang with you guys lol. I have a jeep and jeepforum people are ruthlessly sarcastic and mean.  thanks again!

IF i decide to get one i think ive read 2002 they fixed some leaky plug and 2005 new handlebars that about sums up what i need to know right? lol

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #34 - 09/07/12 at 11:12:24

bill67 wrote on 09/07/12 at 08:44:22:
My wife learn on a straight country road till she had the shifting and take off down pat,Then slight curves,Riding a motorcycle is just like riding a bicycle,

No, it's not. Not even close. Especially in America with the front-brake lever on the wrong side.

Most people that ride bicycles don't even realize that they have to steer the opposite direction to turn the bicycle because shifting your weight can usually get the job done. On a motorcycle, you weigh 1/3 of it instead of weighing 3x it. Your inputs on the handlebars are far more important because a motorcycle weighs a lot more and the faster-spinning heavier front wheel has much more gyroscopic effect.

Riding a bicycle is NOTHING like riding a motorcycle. If there is anything you need to remember about riding a motorcycle it's that if you're going around a turn and it feels like you can't turn enough and are about to run off the road, force the handlebars in the opposite direction.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #35 - 09/07/12 at 11:14:22

Bill doesn't believe in countersteering, either. By his own statement.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #36 - 09/07/12 at 11:58:00

All there's to do is make sure the front wheels faces where you want the bike to go.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #37 - 09/07/12 at 13:59:57

Arnold wrote on 09/07/12 at 11:58:00:
All there's to do is make sure the front wheels faces where you want the bike to go.

Try turning your wheel to the left for a left turn and tell me which way you go.

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #38 - 09/07/12 at 14:17:53

Well, typically when I steer left it goes left.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #39 - 09/07/12 at 14:29:53

Arnold wrote on 09/07/12 at 14:17:53:
Well, typically when I steer left it goes left.

Try it with one hand at speed, and then see which way you go.  Reason I say one hand is so you know for sure which way your pushing on the handlebar and not which way you think your pushing because it's second nature on a motorcycle.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #40 - 09/07/12 at 14:36:06

Well, at higher speed it's pretty much all leaning, steering is minimal. But with my little slow poke bobber at less than 300lbs I dont think I get enough speed that would require counter steering when drifting. I dont know, maybe it's instinctive since I never wiped out.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #41 - 09/07/12 at 14:40:09

Arnold wrote on 09/07/12 at 14:36:06:
Well, at higher speed it's pretty much all leaning, steering is minimal. But with my little slow poke bobber at less than 300lbs I dont think I get enough speed that would require counter steering when drifting. I dont know, maybe it's instinctive since I never wiped out.

what do you think makes you lean, and recover from the lean?  it's not all about body position.  This is something you have to try conscientiously or you don't really know what your instinct has been doing for you all along

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #42 - 09/07/12 at 15:07:06

The trick to counter steering is to look in the direction you want to go. It makes pushing on that side of the handlebar instinctive.
Several times I have miss-judged the sharpness of a curve, or it has "sharpened" more after I have gone into it, and looking to the inside and gentle counter-steer has saved me from going into the on coming lane. Also leaning does the same thing as counter-steering. You start a lean by counter-steering, whether you realize it or not.
Read "Proficient Motorcycling". It explains it better than I can.
Also "drifting" occurs when you break the rear wheel loose and steer with the throttle, as you do in flat track racing. Difficult, but not impossible, to do on dry pavement.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #43 - 09/07/12 at 15:26:58

JodyBlip wrote on 09/07/12 at 10:53:05:
WOW lots of positive feedback i dabble in lots of things and have been in lots of forums i must say this is the most positive welcome i have ever seen to "newb" type questions. thanks a ton for all the input the friendly people and feedback here alone make me wanna get one now just so i can hang with you guys lol. I have a jeep and jeepforum people are ruthlessly sarcastic and mean.  thanks again!

IF i decide to get one i think ive read 2002 they fixed some leaky plug and 2005 new handlebars that about sums up what i need to know right? lol

I had a Land Cruiser for 15 years. I had a bumper sticker made up that said "I pull Jeeps for free". This was after pulling the fifth Jeep out of the lake, or sand, at Ipperwash Beach. Grin

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #44 - 09/14/12 at 12:03:30

i passed the MSF class last weekend (most fun i've had for $250 in a long time!).  will probably be picking up an s40 this weekend.  it's a wee bit small for me (6'1" and 270 lbs. currently).  so i'll be doing the seat mod 1st, learning to ride this particular bike and then think about forward controls.

so i'm HOPING it's a good 1st bike for me lol.  just don't fee like i'd enjoy a rebel or what-have-you as much.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 19:29:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Never owned or ridden a bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.