Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Quick exhaust gasket question.... (Read 90 times)
Blue04Savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Quick exhaust gasket question....
09/18/12 at 16:34:39

I had/have an exhaust leak where my muffler clamps onto the down pipe.  I could hear it, and actually feel the exhaust puffing out there.

I took off the whole exhaust, pulled the muffler out, and took a look at the gasket.  The gasket is just a cylindrical lead insert right?  Well it looked like it was alright to me, and when I pushed the downpipe down into it, it seemed relatively tight.  

The exhaust leak i'm talking about pretty much has to be this gasket though right?  I'm assuming it's a darn tight fit when you have a new gasket in no?  

It didn't look like any piping or anything was broken.

Also, should I use anti-seeze on the exhaust head bolts?  

Thanks

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Quick exhaust gasket question....
Reply #1 - 09/18/12 at 17:29:12

yes you need anti seize on all the exhaust bolts.

WWW   IP Logged
Blue04Savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/18/12 at 18:22:39

Alright.  Do you happen to know what the exhaust head bolts are supposed to be torqued to?  Perhaps also the nuts that hold on the small front heat shield by the foot peg?

Thanks!

IP Logged
Blue04Savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/19/12 at 18:04:56

Alright, well this is going to make me sound like a retard but.... lol

I took the exhaust off, removed the heat shield where the muffler meets the down pipe ( I didn't realize I didn't have to take the exhaust off to get that piece off  Embarrassed ), and threw it all back on after tightening up the clamp on the muffler/downpipe gasket.  I fired the bike back up, and darnit, it wasn't coming from the gasket after all.  

I can feel exhaust puffing out of the actual muffler, right where there are the holes cut on the outer shield of the muffler.

STUPID QUESTION BUT....

There shouldn't be any exhaust coming out from there right?  Is my muffler just trashed?  I mean the only exhaust should be excaping out the tailpipe right?  The bike only has 4,000 on it, so this just seems weird to me.  I just thought i'd ask you all incase this is some strange, but normal for these bikes, thing. ??????????????

Naturally I already ordered gaskets, and have to cancel the order now. lol  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 22:25:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Quick exhaust gasket question....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.