Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Never owned or ridden a bike (Read 1021 times)
Foxman276
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Nova Scotia, Canada
Re: Never owned or ridden a bike
Reply #15 - 09/06/12 at 17:32:07

I'm a new rider this year. Bought the s40 because I loved the retro vibe and it felt "right" sitting on it in the dealership. That was March, when there were all sorts of incentives to buy. The dealer stored the bike until May, when I took the course. I learned a ton, and it gave me the confidence to get riding. I was nervous, but once I was on the bike it all made sense. I've ridden 3500KM since then - all on weekends - and I plan to have the bike for a long time.

If it feels right, go for it!

IP Logged
Johnny57

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minneapolis
Reply #16 - 09/06/12 at 17:51:22

I also recommend dirt bike/dual sport bike first.  There are many street legal dual sports that fit a guy your size and the bikes are a lot lighter, more powerful and more maneuverable.  There is a lot about motorcycle riding to be learned when riding on trails and off road and I believe the best riders started young and off road.  I have a dual sport Kawasaki 250 that has 11.0 to 1 compression that just smokes the Savage and will do over 100 quite easily.  If almost all of your riding will be street, I would suggest the MOTARD version of the Kawis,Suzies and Yamaha.  If you buy an underpowered street bike you will soon tire of it.  If you buy a dual sport that has more recreational range I believe you will be satisfied much longer.  The Savage does make a "cool" bobber though and that is the reason I have one.  There is nothing wrong with the RIDER COURSE and it short shots the license process in most states but you become a better rider by riding A LOT.  The more you ride, the better you will get.

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #17 - 09/06/12 at 18:38:47

As one of the "old timers" Serobot refered to earlier,I have owned and ridden all sorts of bikes,including Harleys. I've found the Savage/S40 to be just bout the best all-around bike for me. I average riding 1000-1500 miles a month from April to December and a fair amount in the winter. My riding includes gravel roads,two-lanes and interstates and the thumper has handled them all just fine.

I'll add another vote for the MSF course. I'd ridden many years and miles before I did the course but wish I'd taken it years ago! It would be a bargain at two or three times the cost!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 09/06/12 at 18:58:59

I took the MSF.
The Savage was my first bike and lasted 10 years before I wanted something else. That's a long time during someone's stupid years.

--Steve

IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 09/06/12 at 19:27:46

I'm far away from you, but the best advice is to take a proffessional riding course. You have come to a place where most will be biased towards the S40, I'm one of them. I my country New Zealand the S40 has just been approved as as learner bike as its power weight ratio isn't that high. They are light and good for short legged people like me. I would think you can come to grief as easily on a 250 Ninja as on an S40. I state what I said in another post. You have three friends in motorcycling, your two mirrors and the big gap in front of and around you, most other things, particularly homo sapiens of any gender, are your enemy.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #20 - 09/06/12 at 20:16:59

I am 38 years old and this is my first bike. I debated the rebel 250cc, but am glad I went ahead and stepped up to the 650cc. You will be glad you did, especially if you have little hills you will traverse...

...and you have my vote for the rider safety course.  It is definitely worth the ~$250 and you learn more than you think.  All in all safety is largely in your head and how stupid you want to be and hot dog around like an idiot, however, you still have to look out for the 4 wheelers that act like the road is theirs and pay no attention to you. Practice defensive driving always, and always be prepared as if a car is about to pull our of every intersection and driveway.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #21 - 09/07/12 at 03:46:25

WoW StewMills $250 for the MSF begginers course?!   Shocked
Do they let you take the bike home to practice?  Cheesy

It's $149 here in N.C. and I know it's even cheaper in some places.   Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #22 - 09/07/12 at 03:52:27

It's $400 up here in Da Nort.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #23 - 09/07/12 at 04:15:36

Did you guys take a sex course before you got married.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Foxman276
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Nova Scotia, Canada
Reply #24 - 09/07/12 at 04:16:36

Did you wait until you were married to have sex???

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #25 - 09/07/12 at 04:45:43

Do you buy a pair of shoes without trying them on.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #26 - 09/07/12 at 05:09:33

ToesNose wrote on 09/07/12 at 03:46:25:

Yep. You can get it for about $200 if you want to drive farther, but that's the going rate in these parts. I did try to ride home at the end of day 3 as if it were my bike, but they caught me at the gate.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #27 - 09/07/12 at 05:53:17

ToesNose wrote on 09/07/12 at 03:46:25:

Here in Kentucky the course runs $150 but there is a grant that gives Ky residents a $50 discount so for $100 it's hard to pass up.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
SaVaGeEaRL

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Georgetown, KY
Reply #28 - 09/07/12 at 06:41:33

I rode dirt bikes as a kid. last time when I was about 17. got the savage at 36, no course. Been riding it ever since and although thoughts of a bigger bike cross my mind, this bike is just too much fun.
perfect beginner bike imo

IP Logged
Foxman276
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Nova Scotia, Canada
Reply #29 - 09/07/12 at 08:05:57

bill67 wrote on 09/07/12 at 04:45:43:
Do you buy a pair of shoes without trying them on.

You just contradicted yourself.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 13:21:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Never owned or ridden a bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.