Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Never owned or ridden a bike (Read 1021 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Never owned or ridden a bike
Reply #45 - 09/14/12 at 13:01:49

Arnold wrote on 09/07/12 at 14:36:06:
Well, at higher speed it's pretty much all leaning, steering is minimal. But with my little slow poke bobber at less than 300lbs I dont think I get enough speed that would require counter steering when drifting. I dont know, maybe it's instinctive since I never wiped out.

+1

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
gdrseeker

Addicted!!

Carson Valley NV
Reply #46 - 09/14/12 at 14:05:26

I am 5-10 and 175 lbs.  I checked into a few different motorcycles but when I found this one for the price I couldnt resist.  

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1347300947  

I just bought my bike, a 1995.  I had to take a friend with me to buy it because I didn't have my license yet and I have never ridden a motorcycle, not even a dirt bike.  This bike has been great easy to get used to for me.  I decided not to get a 250 after speakign with friends who said I would be just wanting something bigger very soon.  After all you can always go easy on the throttle but if you have a situation you need to get out of in a hurry and there is no throttle left, like with a 250, Then what do you do?

Take the MSF.  I took mine about 3 weeks back now it was alot of fun.
The MSF class was excelent it gives a great foundation and teaches you the correct way to do things from the start so you don't start off with bad habbits.

1996 Savage, Jardine, K&N, 145 / 55 jets, 1 turn out at 5000 ft. elevation.
  IP Logged
TROX

More ideas than $$$

Temple, TX
Reply #47 - 09/14/12 at 15:41:05

So Suzuki Hayabusa Limited Edition, not a good starter bike ?    Grin  heh heh

IP Logged
kuri77

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rancho Santa Margarita, Ca
Reply #48 - 09/14/12 at 16:52:53

Both my daughters took the MSF course at 16.  I bought a 250 scooter for the oldest and told her she could have it and after a year I'd let her buy whatever she wanted.  I figured if she spent a year riding without the pressure of using clutch and gears and instead concentrated on just the driving in traffic and all the people out to get her then she'd be ready for anything.  Turned out true and she never had an accident and went on to buy a Ninja.
Second daughter the same though she didn't buy another bike because she just joined the Army as a combat medic.  Hopefully I can get her back on a bike when she comes home.

Big Sur
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #49 - 09/14/12 at 17:00:30

Thats a pretty good answer right there,,good goin.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #50 - 09/15/12 at 13:28:31

As the forum's resident "outlaw"...

I learned on a 1200cc. With a foot clutch and a tank mounted shifter. And no front brake (spool wheel in an extended springer). Rode on the street for 6 or 7 years w/o bothering to get an endorsement. Never took the class, passed the riding test on a borrowed CB350F (1973 Honda).

Rode nothing but antique American/Brit for years. Still have a soft spot for them. But would never tell a newb to go get one, good way to wind up dead, many had left brake/right shift prior to 1975 models.

The Savage can be a good learner bike. I've got a 250 here that is the same length but weighs more and goes faster (10,500 rpm redline) and handles a lot better than a stock Savage/S40. A Savage CAN pull the front wheel off the ground pretty handily if the drive belt is too tight and you dump the clutch. The brakes are pathetic, you really need to quickly develop a feel for when they are going to lock up. But the bike will ride a rear wheel slide with pretty good results. Usually.

Most Savages are decent bikes, some (like mine) are not. Take somebody experienced with you to look over even a brand new, the dealers don't set them up right and many subsequent owners don't know the difference. Or care.

Take the course. Don't even go window shopping until you have done so. With a couple hours saddle time it can save you a lot of money/grief. Under no circumstances try to learn from somebody who's been in the saddle for decades, we ALL have bad habits that you will invariably  pick up on (humans are natural mimics).

I've had way too many motorcycles to list. Have kept my bought new and worked the crap out of it 1998 Savage the longest.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #51 - 09/15/12 at 15:06:24

well, just agreed on a price on an '05 ls650.

i'm sure i'll just kill you guys with questions lol.

IP Logged
jase_mcgee
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #52 - 09/15/12 at 16:44:11

I just started riding a couple months ago and the Savage is my first bike.  Great choice too.  I had played with my brothers enduro some and I drive a stick shift car, so that helped, but go take the MSF course.  It is a huge help and they'll teach you the practical stuff that will save your @ss.

As a side note, I rode a GZ250 in the class and my GF has a Rebel.  I found both of those harder to ride than the Savage.  It has a little more weight, about 350lbs dry compared to the Rebel's 307lbs, but to me it feels more stable.  I also find the power easier to manage with the lower RPMs as compared to the Rebel.  

Take the course, get good gear and take it slow.

IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #53 - 09/16/12 at 10:03:59

i'd like to second (or 9 millionth) the msf course.  the s40 is 'about' the same size as the bikes they put you on in the class (though there is a big diff between 250 and a 650!).  

the course is a ton of fun and really teaches you the basics.  i'm now qualified to ride around a parking lot!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #54 - 09/16/12 at 10:08:26

misterbbq wrote on 09/16/12 at 10:03:59:
i'd like to second (or 9 millionth) the msf course.  the s40 is 'about' the same size as the bikes they put you on in the class (though there is a big diff between 250 and a 650!).  

the course is a ton of fun and really teaches you the basics.  i'm now qualified to ride around a parking lot!

Never fail to acknowledge the danger of riding in a parking lot. Thats a very scary place to me.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #55 - 09/16/12 at 10:27:13

The rule is,.. if you ain't countersteering, you're going straight...
A bike will not turn, without countersteering...
Against the laws of physics...

Learning about countersteering isn't about learning a new way to turn,.. it's just about becoming conscious of what you're doing that actually causes the bike to turn...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #56 - 09/16/12 at 10:41:33

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/16/12 at 10:08:26:
misterbbq wrote on 09/16/12 at 10:03:59:

Never fail to acknowledge the danger of riding in a parking lot. Thats a very scary place to me.

absolutely true!  we didn't have cars in our parking lot and it was still a bit nerve wracking at first with all the other beginners out there.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #57 - 09/16/12 at 11:39:49

Serowbot wrote on 09/16/12 at 10:27:13:
The rule is,.. if you ain't countersteering, you're going straight...
A bike will not turn, without countersteering...
Against the laws of physics...

Learning about countersteering isn't about learning a new way to turn,.. it's just about becoming conscious of what you're doing that actually causes the bike to turn...
Wink...  

Look at the Honda web site it tells you the either 4 or 5 ways to steer a motorcycle,counter steer is just one way.I don't counter steer.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #58 - 09/16/12 at 15:22:15

Bill wether you realize it or not you countersteer, it is part of the physics of a two wheeled vehicle once it gets over a certain speed (12 Mph I believe).

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #59 - 09/16/12 at 17:45:29

Arnold wrote on 09/07/12 at 14:36:06:
Well, at higher speed it's pretty much all leaning, steering is minimal. But with my little slow poke bobber at less than 300lbs I dont think I get enough speed that would require counter steering when drifting. I dont know, maybe it's instinctive since I never wiped out.

Arnold:
Leaning is not what you are doing......it is hard to believe....but steering the bars is what makes the bike lay over or stand up coming out of a corner.  It has nothing to do with drifting or sliding.  This is always a good way to win a beer bet with your riding buddies.

Get up a bit of speed, and let go of the bars with your left hand....then push lightly on the bar with your right hand.....and let us know what direction you end up going. Grin

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/23/24 at 13:11:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Never owned or ridden a bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.