Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
2008 LS650 - Transmission Shifting Hard (Read 268 times)
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: 2008 LS650 - Transmission Shifting Hard
Reply #15 - 08/28/12 at 21:26:05

stewmills wrote on 08/28/12 at 10:25:20:
1) Shifting from 1st to second quickly gives me this "ker-chunk", but if I shift slowly about 1/2 way (to the neutral spot) and then a split second go the rest of the way, it rarely makes the noise. Other gears up are fine.
2) Shifting down from 2nd to 1st quickly gives me this "ker-chunk", but if I shift down slowly about 1/2 way (to the neutral spot) and then a split second go the rest of the way, it rarely makes the noise. Other gears shifting down are fine.
3) If the bike running and I put in neutral to do something (let off the clutch for a bit) and then go to shift down to 1st, it wants to "grind and clatter" as if the clutch is not even engaged.  I then have to let the clutch out and in and roll a bit and then it will slide into gear without (or with minimal) clatter. The other option is to turn off, shift into 1st, and start up and go...
4) Similar to #3, if the bike is on 1st gear and shut off, pulling in the clutch seems to do nothing.  For example, right now the bike is cool and in 1st (to stop unwanted rolling). If I go out and pull in the clutch to roll the bike, it is very hard to roll which tells me the clutch is not disengaging the gear.  I have to sit on the bike and roll it a bit and work the clutch to get it to jump in neutral so I can roll it.  This happens about 50% of the time.  Is this from stopping it hot in 1st and the clutch cooling off in a certain position that it doesn't want to come out of?.....

In my experience:

Overall: Check that you don't have too much slack in the clutch cable.

#1 - Normal.  To mitigate, run 'er up to about 20 mph or so before shifting to second.

#2 - Normal.  To mitigate, blip the throttle a bit when making the 2-1 downshift.

#3 - Normal.  To mitigate, pull the clutch lever in and wait a few seconds before making the N-1 shift.  Example:  You are waiting at a red light, first in line.  You are in neutral with the clutch lever out (many will say not to do this, but hey....).  The cross street light turns yellow.  Pull in the clutch.  By the time you get the green light, the clutch lever will have been in for a few seconds which often results in a smoother N-1 shift.

#4 - Normal for a wet clutch, like ours.  The plates get "stuck" together when the engine is off.  A good push while in gear will frequently work to get the bike moving.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #16 - 08/29/12 at 13:07:37

And the correct answer is ????
Ride it, stomp it, or kick it, or all the above.
And if that don't convince you that everything is normal, listen to a Harley Davison shift,.....that'll convince ya yours is shiftin perfect !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
LouSiana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hannover, Germany
Reply #17 - 08/29/12 at 13:45:25

I agree, that lady is a bit clunky at shifting. But it can make it easier, if you adjust the shifting lever rod to your foot. You should not need to take off your foot from the peg, neither for shift up or shift down.

If you want to shift gears up, take your foot a bit up but don't let the sole lift from the peg. Just tilt it a bit in the ankle. If you want to shift down, swing your foot a bit and tilt a good bit more upwards, get a rest on the lever and down with it. You don't need to leave the sole from the footpeg.

Best to be done if the lever rests upon your relaxed foot without any forces felt.

I had some biker's beginners to teach that and they were astonished how simple and comparable easy shifting gears can be on bikes of the shift lever fits your body best. Try this!
And then, clunky lady will do better. Still not that good like some others, but not as unmanageable than before.
OK, a good adjusted clutch is required, too.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 08/29/12 at 15:08:47

Kickin & stompin bends the shift rod. If one can operate a standard shift vehicle, then this transmission is easy to work with. Shifting from 2nd thru to 5th w/o the clutch is easy as pie. Down from 5th to 2nd? Just as easy,, between 1st & 2nd? Not so easy,,,I can do it, but its not smooth enough to make it worth doing. When down shifting, pick up a few RPM before dropping it into 1st & letting out on the clutch,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #19 - 08/29/12 at 15:19:53

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/29/12 at 15:08:47:
Kickin & stompin bends the shift rod. If one can operate a standard shift vehicle, then this transmission is easy to work with. Shifting from 2nd thru to 5th w/o the clutch is easy as pie. Down from 5th to 2nd? Just as easy,, between 1st & 2nd? Not so easy,,,I can do it, but its not smooth enough to make it worth doing. When down shifting, pick up a few RPM before dropping it into 1st & letting out on the clutch,,

Just a tip for ya JOG on the clutchless 2 to 1 shift.  Get your speed down further in 2nd before you do the 2 to 1 and it will be alot smoother.  Dunno if you have a tach or not but I let it drop to less then 1500 rpm in 2nd before I do a 2 to 1 clutchless and it's fairly smooth

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 08/29/12 at 15:30:57

Ya know,, I never even considered that,,make serfect pense, tho..but when Im goin clutchless, Im haulin it,,so, I just haul in the clutch, drop it into 1st & gun it a bit & drop the clutch on it,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 17:23:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2008 LS650 - Transmission Shifting Hard

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.