Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
2008 LS650 - Transmission Shifting Hard (Read 268 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
2008 LS650 - Transmission Shifting Hard
08/28/12 at 10:25:20

I am new to this forum, so forgive me in advance if I break any rules.

I have a 2008 LS650 with ~900 miles. It sat for 4 years with 400 miles on it. I got it and immediately changed the fluid, drove it for 200 miles and had the initial 600 mile service at the stealership. They changed fluids and made all adjustments, had them rejet to get rid of the inherent issues with this bike's EPA garbage, and the bike runs good.  

The issue I have had with the bike before and after service is that it seems to shift hard, but it seems that several comments indicate that this bike and maybe other flavors as well just misbehave like this.  Here are the issues I experience.  Are these normal or are there things to do to correct?

1) Shifting from 1st to second quickly gives me this "ker-chunk", but if I shift slowly about 1/2 way (to the neutral spot) and then a split second go the rest of the way, it rarely makes the noise. Other gears up are fine.
2) Shifting down from 2nd to 1st quickly gives me this "ker-chunk", but if I shift down slowly about 1/2 way (to the neutral spot) and then a split second go the rest of the way, it rarely makes the noise. Other gears shifting down are fine.
3) If the bike running and I put in neutral to do something (let off the clutch for a bit) and then go to shift down to 1st, it wants to "grind and clatter" as if the clutch is not even engaged.  I then have to let the clutch out and in and roll a bit and then it will slide into gear without (or with minimal) clatter. The other option is to turn off, shift into 1st, and start up and go...
4) Similar to #3, if the bike is on 1st gear and shut off, pulling in the clutch seems to do nothing.  For example, right now the bike is cool and in 1st (to stop unwanted rolling). If I go out and pull in the clutch to roll the bike, it is very hard to roll which tells me the clutch is not disengaging the gear.  I have to sit on the bike and roll it a bit and work the clutch to get it to jump in neutral so I can roll it.  This happens about 50% of the time.  Is this from stopping it hot in 1st and the clutch cooling off in a certain position that it doesn't want to come out of?

Thanks for any advice you may have.  I am semi-mechanical and can tinker if there are options, but I also want to ensure that I am not going to create a problem not having this looked at...but the stealership didn't say anything about it other than it needed a little adjustment which they did. The tech drove it so I know he had to feel what I am describing, he just may know it is what it is and didn't make an issue of it.  Overall I know what to look for as to not grind and tear up the tranny so if these are inherent issues, so be it, but it is a good bike that I want to take care of.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: 2008 LS650 - Transmission Shifting Hard
Reply #1 - 08/28/12 at 14:29:55

Sounds like you have your clutch adjusted too loose.
between the lever and the perch should only be about an 1/8".
Second, look at the clutch lever on the case.  There are 2 marks behind the lever and w/out disengaging the clutch squeeze the lever just take out the slack and the lever should be between the 2 marks.

WWW   IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 08/28/12 at 15:24:42

Mine does the same stuff and my clutch lever at the handle bar is a tad less than 1/8 when cold and a little over that when the bike is warm. It has always been like that. The Savage is not the smoothest shifting bike to begin with.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 08/28/12 at 15:49:56

Thanks for the feedback.  Here is a pic (trying to attach it) of the clutch settings (honestly, never noticed the marks, but makes sense that they would be there for a reason).  Sounds like maybe the clutch needs to be adjusted, but why wouldn't the stealership have done it if that's the case...or is that a question we all ask ourselves?!?

(If the pic doesn't make it, I will try again...still figuring this forum out Smiley

clutch.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 08/28/12 at 15:51:52

Sorry, forgot to advise that the first image is with the little bit of slack out of the lever, the second is with the clutch lever fully engaged. Bike was cold when taken, not running temp.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 08/28/12 at 15:51:56

That is exactly like mine is after almost 18,000 miles.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #6 - 08/28/12 at 15:54:09

@ralfyguy - No long term damage that you know of?  It scares me when it makes that noise, but maybe I am just too worried since this is my first bike.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 08/28/12 at 16:01:43

stewmills wrote on 08/28/12 at 15:54:09:
@ralfyguy - No long term damage that you know of?  It scares me when it makes that noise, but maybe I am just too worried since this is my first bike.

Not that I can tell a thing. I got the bike nearly 5 years ago when it had 3,000 miles on it. It shifted like that back then and still does it the same. Nothing has changed. I just shift slow and easy from 1-2 and 2-1. It helps to shift early out of 1st, means it seems to be less rough the less rpm at time of shift. Then it goes rather smooth. It makes the rear tire last longer to if you're easy on her in 1st gear. Every now and then I need to smoke somebody and get on it, but I don't feel like it that often. As you get older,  that kind of stuff gets less urgent.  Cheesy
I can't tell any difference from over the years, just shift easy from 1-2 and 2-1, and you should be good. From 2-1 I usually let it drop below 15mph at least. Way smoother that way.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #8 - 08/28/12 at 16:06:02

ralfyguy wrote on 08/28/12 at 16:01:43:
stewmills wrote on 08/28/12 at 15:54:09:

Not that I can tell a thing. I got the bike nearly 5 years ago when it had 3,000 miles on it. It shifted like that back then and still does it the same. Nothing has changed. I just shift slow and easy from 1-2 and 2-1. It helps to shift early out of 1st, means it seems to be less rough the less rpm at time of shift. Then it goes rather smooth. It makes the rear tire last longer to if you're easy on her in 1st gear. Every now and then I need to smoke somebody and get on it, but I don't feel like it that often. As you get older,  that kind of stuff gets less urgent.  Cheesy
I can't tell any difference from over the years, just shift easy from 1-2 and 2-1, and you should be good. From 2-1 I usually let it drop below 15mph at least. Way smoother that way.

Thanks.  That sounds exactly like what I have learned with the easy shifting 1-2 and 2-1 and at what speeds to shift.  Guess I will keep an eye on it and keep on keeping on for mow!

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #9 - 08/28/12 at 16:13:52

I wonder what the stealership put in it for oil?? Roll Eyes  Too light of weight oil could definitely cause shifting problems.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 08/28/12 at 17:16:15

She be a bit clunky by nature...
Suzuki was trying to make it seem more like a Harley...

If you can idle in gear without the bike rolling forward,.. yer' clutch be okay...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 08/28/12 at 18:23:24

Idling in Neutral, clutch lever out, spins all the gears up. Pull clutch, wait a coupla seconds, step on it & drop into first,, mite clunk a bit, but its not hurtin anything,

Going to 2nd is a pretty big jump, Haul in on the clutch, slap the gas closed raise the toe & go.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #12 - 08/28/12 at 18:28:36

SALB wrote on 08/28/12 at 16:13:52:
I wonder what the stealership put in it for oil?? Roll Eyes  Too light of weight oil could definitely cause shifting problems.  

They use Honda brand GN4 10W40SJ.  I used the same when I did the initial change so it has had that in it since 450-ish miles and the behavior hasn't changed.  I'm not an oil guy, but my guess is this is decent if it is what they sell you and put in their machines, and I am hesitant to change it as I am told by several folks that you need not change the flavor of your oil over and over because the engine components need to get used to something (I have primarily heard this about cars/trucks).

I am in East-Alabamer if the temperature in this region makes a difference in the oil weight best for this area.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 08/28/12 at 19:59:54

stewmills wrote on 08/28/12 at 18:28:36:
They use Honda brand GN4 10W40SJ.  

In't that the bad stuff?

WWW   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #14 - 08/28/12 at 21:00:36

verslagen1 wrote on 08/28/12 at 19:59:54:
stewmills wrote on 08/28/12 at 18:28:36:
They use Honda brand GN4 10W40SJ.  

In't that the bad stuff?

Don't know. Manual for my bike specifies 10W-40 SH or SJ so it has what it calls for, but I am open to suggestions.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/08/24 at 07:54:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2008 LS650 - Transmission Shifting Hard

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.