Send Topic Print
Got stripped bolt =( (Read 324 times)
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Re: Got stripped bolt =(
Reply #15 - 08/24/12 at 21:24:08

I didn't intend to mean it that way but after re-reading it, maybe subconsciously I did.

Either way, tell the next guy you've put mismatched bolts on the bike. Just because you made a mistake doesn't mean the next guy deserves to deal with it. It's not his fault you made a bad decision.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 08/24/12 at 21:30:26

Whats the diameter of the header bolt?

I worked on cars in the 70's. It was a constant brain twist trying to decide if it was sae or metric. Id stuff the 5/16the in it & giggle my BUTT off.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #17 - 08/24/12 at 22:02:40

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/24/12 at 21:30:26:
Whats the diameter of the header bolt?

I worked on cars in the 70's. It was a constant brain twist trying to decide if it was sae or metric. Id stuff the 5/16the in it & giggle my BUTT off.

I'm glad I didn't make any sense, but even more glad that my suggestion worked for the man. The header bolt is 8mm. They usually actually measure a little less than 8mm, and so is a 5/16 bolt. If that metric thread in there isn't all the way tore out, meaning no thread left in there at all, then you still can try the 5/16. It isn't the greatest solution, but might work. What did the man have to loose? Is it better doing nothing and just run with just one bolt? If have done it before, and it worked and was a simple fix. Why was that suggestion so terrible?
Anyway, I'm just happy for him it worked, and even if he sells the bike and the next owner messes about with that bolt, he will figure out that this one bolt is different. As soon as he puts a wrench to it, as the standard wrench for a 8mm bolt is actually 13mm, and Suzuki decided to make it 12mm. I don't recall the wrench size for a 5/16,but I think it was 1/2".
I'm more used to metric sizes, because I have been a machinist in my native Germany since 1984.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #18 - 08/24/12 at 22:11:22

Actually, I think I was the first to recommend going with an SAE. I dont have a problem with it, at all. A problem solved is a problem solved,
Who is to say it wont last?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #19 - 08/24/12 at 22:18:00

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/24/12 at 22:11:22:
Actually, I think I was the first to recommend going with an SAE. I dont have a problem with it, at all. A problem solved is a problem solved,
Who is to say it wont last?

I actually wanted to hit the reply button, but hit the quote button by accident. The post wasn't directed at you. Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 08/24/12 at 22:21:49

Hey,, I dont care,, Im STILL maddernHELL! Smiley

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #21 - 08/24/12 at 22:24:33

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/24/12 at 22:21:49:
Hey,, I dont care,, Im STILL maddernHELL! Smiley

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #22 - 08/24/12 at 22:42:09

ralfyguy wrote on 08/24/12 at 22:02:40:
What did the man have to loose?

Seriously? How about the cylinder head? Is that big enough to "loose?"

A longer 8mm bolt would have been the best option, not cross-threading a completely different bolt in.

Just because you're an ignorant hack doesn't mean everyone else should be.

You're the type of person I rally to get banned because you spew misinformation.

*edit* And I pray people like you are the last people to ever own these bikes because I don't wish anyone else to have to deal with the backwoods "repairs" you have done to them. Fix them right or don't fix them at all.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #23 - 08/24/12 at 22:50:34

And verslagen, that was definitely personal. If you would rather have this forum full of polite idiots than people who are actually helping, I'll gladly delete my account and walk away, no questions asked.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 08/24/12 at 23:14:28

YOure the one advocating tossing someone out. A difference of opinion isnt worth that. How about stepping back & taking a deep breath? We are talking about someone with a problem & trying to get his bike back on the road using methods he can manage. I dont remember you suggesting a longer bolt. I think that was me, Im not upset that he went with the 5/16ths,,
You seriously need to calm down, & if that means a few days of not coming here, okay,, but chill, man, its all gonna be okay.,.no ones gonna die, treason isnt being committed & no ones wife is runnin around with a Harley rider.. well,, heck,, I guess I cant really say that, but I can hope,, BUT, IF anyones wife IS runnin around with a Harley rider,.,Im pretty sure its yours,,
See? anyone can get personal,, it doesnt prove much, does it?

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #25 - 08/24/12 at 23:33:00

A difference of opinion? This isn't poetry, this isn't art and this isn't English class - this is math. There is only right and wrong. If you want to paint your bike bright pink, that's your choice. But if you want to cross-thread the wrong bolt into a hole? You are wrong. That's all there is to it. A square peg doesn't go in a round hole even if you get it to "fit." You are wrong.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 08/24/12 at 23:39:09

You may not agree with the method, but IF the result is a header that doesnt leak, It WORKED,,

Feel free to maintain every level of purity in your solution of problems. Allow others to keep their ride on the road however they can,
What mnakes you so sure he wont study the options & work on it this winter? Youre taking a lot for granted. You are happily very judgmental,& ready to punish a man for solving a problem in a manner that is beneath YOU,, dude,, back off..

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #27 - 08/25/12 at 05:11:46

Cavi Mike wrote on 08/24/12 at 22:42:09:
ralfyguy wrote on 08/24/12 at 22:02:40:
What did the man have to loose?

Seriously? How about the cylinder head? Is that big enough to "loose?"

A longer 8mm bolt would have been the best option, not cross-threading a completely different bolt in.

Just because you're an ignorant hack doesn't mean everyone else should be.

You're the type of person I rally to get banned because you spew misinformation.

*edit* And I pray people like you are the last people to ever own these bikes because I don't wish anyone else to have to deal with the backwoods "repairs" you have done to them. Fix them right or don't fix them at all.

You need to take your meds again.  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
Mr.Orange
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 08/25/12 at 08:50:22

I wasnt trying to start any gang wars here. The 5/16 fit snug, doesnt leak, and plus Im not planning on demonizing anyone on here for helping. If this is what I get for asking for help, Id just assume forget coming here any longer.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #29 - 08/25/12 at 09:42:21

Mr.Orange wrote on 08/25/12 at 08:50:22:
I wasnt trying to start any gang wars here. The 5/16 fit snug, doesnt leak, and plus Im not planning on demonizing anyone on here for helping. If this is what I get for asking for help, Id just assume forget coming here any longer.

Sir, it isn't your fault. I was trying to help you out with a simple inexpensive fix. The problem is the immaturity of a few strays you simply have anywhere you go. They are unavoidable and the best is just to ignore them. Please don't take it too personal as it isn't worth it. Please do stick around and ask away, that what this site is all about.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/11/24 at 07:41:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Got stripped bolt =(

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.