Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trying a pod filter - where to put breather tube? (Read 232 times)
DangRider
Ex Member

Trying a pod filter - where to put breather tube?
08/23/12 at 06:10:01

I have been reading about Diamond Jim's experimenting with pod filters here:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1236788683/0

I wanted to try it for grins and wondered what to do with the breather tube that connects to the stock air filter box.

Do I simply plug the opening on the head cover or route an extra long tube so that it ends where the stock air box drain tube would be?  Other ideas?

Thanks

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Trying a pod filter - where to put breather tu
Reply #1 - 08/23/12 at 06:29:54

Check out this thread and look at the pictures he posted of what he did; a "U" shaped intake. Probably has a similar effect, possibly better since it's longer. I kind-a love the look of it!

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1345654458

As for the breather, it needs to breathe, so don't block it.
Lot of guys use tiny breather filters of various kinds. You can shorten the tube, or use a longer one that will extend down below the bottom of the bike. It will drip a tiny bit of oil, so it's up to you where you want it.
I don't know if there's any performance advantage no matter where you put it. If you're making a home-made intake, it would be really easy to cut a hole for the tube and run the line into the intake. I assume it needs to seal pretty well though...

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/23/12 at 06:35:27

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/K-N-2-in-o-d-x-1-5-in-chrome-top...

I ordered this one.
It's just sitting on the starter. I was going to make a bracket to hold it up but never got around to it.

--Steve

IP Logged
Finney138

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/23/12 at 09:20:09

I run a breather tube with rolled up blue shop paper towel in the end held back by a little tape, stops the oil from spitting under my tank havnt ha any issues. Cost 35 cents worth of tube haha

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 08/23/12 at 09:48:04

I'd advise you place it somewhere you don't mind oil dripping when it burps a bit out.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #5 - 08/23/12 at 12:24:49

Back in high school, I had a Ducati single.  On those bikes, the breather was simply a a large (3/4"?) section of plastic tubing that came all the up to the upper frame rails and continued all the back to the rear fender mounting frame tube.  The tube was about 3 ft long and routed high enough that nothing could puke out of it.  No filter or anything on the end of it.

Notice the picture.

http://membres.multimania.fr/desmo350/images%20collees/historique/250%20mach1...

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 08/23/12 at 12:34:42

450 Ducati had a similar rig, it was amazing the amount of huff movement back & forth that came in and out of the end that unsealed unprotected large diameter tube.    I guess the theory was that the tube was long enough that the bugs never made it all the way down to the sump before being expelled again by the next push .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #7 - 08/23/12 at 13:01:15

With a single-cylinder engine, the crankcase volume changes by the amount of the engine displacement every revolution. You would expect a considerable amount of airflow. More air leaves than reenters because of gas blowby past the rings. The reason for putting the breather tube in the airbox on later machines is to give the engine a chance to suck the blowby fumes back in to be reburned. The drawback is that condensates from the blowby can cause deposits on the intake valve(s). Some motorcycles routed that breather tube near the chain, in hopes any oil that came out would at least lubricate the chain a little. The breather usually enters the airbox downstream from the air filter, so any air pulled into the engine is clean, and also so the stuff coming out of the engine doesn't clog the filter.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #8 - 08/23/12 at 22:21:28

I shoved my breather tube up the frame under the tank.

IP Logged
buffyporson
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/25/12 at 07:27:32

Extent the breather tube as high as possible on the bike and then hang it out the back somewhere, preferably not in front of the rear wheel or near the drive belt. I also have a car pcv check valve in the hose. This allows crankcase pressure to be relieved but prevents cold, wet, dirty air entering the engine. Remember the breather will expel air as the piston descends and crankcase pressure increases but suck it in as the piston rises. Very important to have either a check valve or filter on the breather   .

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 09:22:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Trying a pod filter - where to put breather tube?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.