Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Got stripped bolt =( (Read 324 times)
Mr.Orange
Ex Member

Got stripped bolt =(
08/21/12 at 22:32:06

Its the bottom header bolt. She's putt putt putting out where the bolt should be tight. Any suggestions?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Got stripped bolt =(
Reply #1 - 08/21/12 at 22:43:50

Well,,  I suspect its the threads in the head that ya shed, but, if ya havent pulled the bolt to see,, ya otta,,
Wouldnt it be great to see the bolt is wounded?
If its the jug that buggered, you can put a thread repair kit in, or, if theres room in the flange for a slightly larger bolt, maybe tap that hole out to the next size up. Its metric now, IDK what the nearest, larger bolt is, but it mite not be a big jump to an SAE size.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 08/22/12 at 05:20:53

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/21/12 at 22:43:50:
Well,,  I suspect its the threads in the head that ya shed, but, if ya havent pulled the bolt to see,, ya otta,,
Wouldnt it be great to see the bolt is wounded?
If its the jug that buggered, you can put a thread repair kit in, or, if theres room in the flange for a slightly larger bolt, maybe tap that hole out to the next size up. Its metric now, IDK what the nearest, larger bolt is, but it mite not be a big jump to an SAE size.

You could try a 5/16 bolt. It's about the same size as the stock M8 bolt. Or use a stud and put that in the head, for future muffler removals to take the stress of the already damaged threads in the head.

IP Logged
Mr.Orange
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/22/12 at 15:44:23

i just happened to grab a 5/16 from work so will try that out

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 08/22/12 at 18:23:04

Look at thread pitch. If its not gonna line up, mite wanna get a 5/16 tap.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #5 - 08/22/12 at 20:15:40

5/16 is smaller than 8mm, not larger. 5/16=.3125" 8mm=.3149"

I also advise against running a mix of SAE and Metric hardware, they are not easily distiguished from one another even if you have a trained eye. You're either going to screw over the next guy that owns this bike or yourself.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 08/23/12 at 11:14:00

5/16" is 7.9375mm. If you measure a 8mm bolt it will be a tad under 8mm. The 8mm has lower pitch, about 1,5 times less than standard 5/16. If you do it carefully enough, it will work. You basically cutting a new thread over the top of the old one. As his old one is already boogered up, there is not much to loose. The worst thing that can happen is that this attempt stripe out as well. Then he still can mess with a thread insert or such. I fixed the same thread size before like that on a different spot on the cylinder Head and it worked just great. Either use a 5/16 tap and tap about half way in and then use the bolt to finish up, or if you don’t have a tap, take a triangle file and file grooves in the front of the bolt like a tap has and put some lube on it, turn it in the whole one revolution at a time, backing all the way out after each time, put more lube on the bolt and repeat until you are all the way in. Just feel the material, don't force it too much. Then use a new bolt and tighten everything down without getting too rough with it.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #7 - 08/23/12 at 22:25:53

You don't make any sense. If a larger bolt already won't fit in the hole, a smaller one will be even more loose. You don't even need to do math here, it's called common sense.

So no, it won't work. And pitch has NOTHING to do with diameter so there's no point in bringing it up. An M8x1.25 bolt is the same diameter as an M8x1.5 and a 5/16-18 bolt is the same as a 5/16-24. An M8 is larger than a 5/16. That's all there is to it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 08/24/12 at 06:31:38

5/16 is smaller than 8mm, not larger. 5/16=.3125" 8mm=.3149"

Ya cant stuff a stripped out , .3149 diameter hole with a .3125 diameter bolt.. either drill it & stick  a repair kit in it to go back to 8 mm, or drill & tap to the next size,
IF the threads run deeper in the head than the bolt is long, a longer bolt may save the day, But IM not bettin on that.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 08/24/12 at 07:35:41

I reallly think we need to start promoting the use of Never-Sieze on the exhaust bolts whenever someone puts the exhaust back on......and not to overtighten the 2 exhaust flange bolts.

Doing this will help to prevent the broken and stripped studs that come up too often.  Both of which are difficult and time consuming to repair.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #10 - 08/24/12 at 07:41:06

Dave wrote on 08/24/12 at 07:35:41:
I reallly think we need to start promoting the use of Never-Sieze on the exhaust bolts whenever someone puts the exhaust back on......and not to overtighten the 2 exhaust flange bolts.

Doing this will help to prevent the broken and stripped studs that come up too often.  Both of which are difficult and time consuming to repair.

I've always used an anti-seize on exhaust bolts, and also sparkies.
I also use a shorty 1/4" drive ratchet for tightening the exhaust flange bolts to the head, to help me not over do it.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 08/24/12 at 18:23:51

I also use a shorty 1/4" drive ratchet for tightening the exhaust flange bolts to the head, to help me not over do it.

B. I. NGO! B. I. NGO, BINGO & Bingo was his name
O

IP Logged
Mr.Orange
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 08/24/12 at 18:30:08

Got the 5/16 in there nice and snug. No leaks. Rode home and checked for tightness. Everything seems to be ok for now.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #13 - 08/24/12 at 19:29:32

Good for you. Don't forget to tell the next guy you have mis-matched bolts.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 08/24/12 at 20:05:18

isn't that getting a little personal?

WWW   IP Logged