Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 25
Send Topic Print
RECOMMENDED OILS AND BOOSTERS (Read 6252 times)
farva66
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: RECOMMENDED OILS AND BOOSTERS
Reply #300 - 03/29/14 at 18:38:32

I have been reading for like half and hour now and I can't seem to find a solid answer.... I know it will be out of price point, I don't mind spending a little more to not need additives. Is the red line 10w40 motorcycle oil a good to go oil no additive needed?

He who knows is smart. He who knows, and teaches is truly wise.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #301 - 03/29/14 at 19:25:36

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
farva66
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #302 - 03/29/14 at 19:46:01

pg wrote on 03/29/14 at 19:25:36:

thanks i saw that just wanted to double check thanks again

He who knows is smart. He who knows, and teaches is truly wise.
  IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #303 - 03/30/14 at 06:43:58

diesels are primitive engines and Rotella seems fine without adding additives, too much zinc is bad too..

anybody else using white jug (petro) Rotella straight-up??

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
doh13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NS CANADA
Reply #304 - 05/20/14 at 20:42:14

Hi i have been reading about the ZDDp additives for the last hour I had bought motormaster motorcycle oil  for the savage before reading about the ZDDP additive  which i believe is made by shell but im not sure if it has ZDDP http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-formula-1-4-stroke-motorcycle-oi... (MSDS sheet for the motormaster oil) http://msds.canadiantire.ca/OpenRepositoryFile.asp?s=89304&v=7, I did ask the question on the CT website about ZDDP but who knows when they will answer or if they will have a clue.

I also  seen that Rotella T Triple Protection was recommended and i believe my local walmart has it. Would this be the type that I need? http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/rotella-t-triple-protection-5l/6000016946267?gcli... If so i will run out and pick some up.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #305 - 05/20/14 at 21:01:13

haven't found that they asked the right question yet.

they did say it's...
MotoMaster Formula 1 20W-50 Motorcycle Oil meets API SH/SG and JASO MA.

this should mean it has it

rotella T is the stuff we like.

WWW   IP Logged
doh13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NS CANADA
Reply #306 - 05/20/14 at 21:26:54

verslagen1 wrote on 05/20/14 at 21:01:13:
haven't found that they asked the right question yet.

they did say it's...
MotoMaster Formula 1 20W-50 Motorcycle Oil meets API SH/SG and JASO MA.

this should mean it has it

rotella T is the stuff we like.

you can see the question about ZDDp that i asked about  the motomaster motorcycle oil listed on the ct site now http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-formula-1-4-stroke-motorcycle-oi...  not sure ill get a proper answer though. If not ill be safe putting the rotella t in when i change the oil .

IP Logged
doh13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NS CANADA
Reply #307 - 05/23/14 at 07:20:54

I am not sure If Amsoil has been mentioned for recommended oil but I asked Amsoil about some of their oils and they told me about this one.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/gasoline/sae-10w-40-synthetic...

API SL, SJ, SH, SG
   API CI-4 Plus, CH-4, CF, CF-2
   ISO-L-EMA
   Caterpillar ECF-1
   JASO MA (Motorcycle)
   MAN 271/3275
   MTU Type 2
   Cummins 20071/20072/20076/20077
   VDS-2, VDS
   Mack EO-M+
   ACEA A3/B3, E3, E5
   MB 228.3, 229.1
   Detroit Diesel 93K214

Answer From Amsoil Rep: The 10w-40 premium protection motor oil (AMO) is high in ZDDP you are looking at Zinc levels of 1378 PPM and Phos. levels of 1265 PPM.  This is a great oil for the older style flat tappet cams.

Also:
Amsoil 10W-40 Advanced Synthetic Motorcycle Oil Has 1436 PPM of Zinc and 1321 PPM of Phos.  Another good oil for a flat tappet system.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/motorcycle/10w-40-advanced-sy...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #308 - 05/23/14 at 07:30:26

doh13 wrote on 05/23/14 at 07:20:54:
I am not sure If Amsoil has been mentioned for recommended oil but I asked Amsoil about some of their oils and they told me about this one.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/gasoline/sae-10w-40-synthetic...

Answer From Amsoil Rep: The 10w-40 premium protection motor oil (AMO) is high in ZDDP you are looking at Zinc levels of 1378 PPM and Phos. levels of 1265 PPM.  This is a great oil for the older style flat tappet cams.

I suppose that the Amsoil willl do just fine.  But why do you want to pay $ 11 a quart for oil that you have to order online.....or try and find a local dealer that will stock that?  Can't you get Rotella in Canada?

Shell Rotella T that is about $ 12 a gallon, is available just about anywhere in the US, and provides all the lubrication and protection that is needed.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
doh13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NS CANADA
Reply #309 - 05/23/14 at 07:47:02

Quote:
I suppose that the Amsoil willl do just fine.  But why do you want to pay $ 11 a quart for oil that you have to order online.....or try and find a local dealer that will stock that?  Can't you get Rotella in Canada?

Shell Rotella T that is about $ 12 a gallon, is available just about anywhere in the US, and provides all the lubrication and protection that is needed.

Oh yea I can get Rotella t at walmart in canada at a good price I was just throwing out another type of oil that should have A1 protection in the savage and its less than 12 bucks per quart (for the rules) which isnt cheap by any means but I have ordered amsoil online before and its much cheaper than buying it at the store (Canadian tire wants  $20.99 a quart for amsoil motorcycle oil Last time i looked!).

I remember paying $16 per quart for Mobil 1 syn a few years back at walmart) stuff isn't cheap in Canada ! :'(  BTW i think i will be using the motor master Motorcycle oil from canadian tire  that i  had already bought on sale for 5 something a quart since it suppose to meet the specs (not sure of the ZDDP because they haven't answered the question yet) then i will likely switch to the rotella t.

IP Logged
doh13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NS CANADA
Reply #310 - 05/27/14 at 18:57:55

I just found out that the MotoMaster Formula 1  Motorcycle Oil from Canadian tire that I bought on sale has ZDDP  . "The product typically contains about 1150 ppm zinc" so that's a little  on the low side if 1200 ppm is the min but probably still useable without  ZDDP booster added?

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #311 - 05/28/14 at 20:56:28

Bought 2 litres of ROT-T 15w40 today at wally. Noticed on same shelf VALVOLINE VR-1 specifically mentions ZDDP.  Worth a shot? Huh

IP Logged
ls650v

97 savage

Clinton Twp, MI
Reply #312 - 05/29/14 at 01:58:43

I believe that VR-1 has molly.  Not good for a wet clutch.  Stick with oil that is JASO MA rated.

From the Valvoline website: VR-1 has "Additional friction modfiers to help deliver maximum horsepower".  Yep, don't want to use this in your bike.

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #313 - 09/28/15 at 15:41:04

So, is ZDDP Booster REQUIRED when purchasing Rotella T Triple Protection 15W40?

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #314 - 09/28/15 at 15:47:08

I ran the Rotella 15/40, Dino, just plain oil,, it's good stuff. But, a little zddp added can't hurt hoot, cost and hassle are minimal.
If i planned on making the 100,000 mile club, I probably would.
And I'd probably be looking for a way to get a throw out machined out of billet.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 25
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 05:22:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › RECOMMENDED OILS AND BOOSTERS

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.