Send Topic Print
Louder exhaust sound (Read 1776 times)
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Re: Louder exhaust sound
Reply #60 - 06/28/12 at 05:48:27

Yes. And it is quite loud. I added baffles to it to quiet it down. I never got sound clips though. I ended up removing it and going with a HD muffler with the baffle plug drilled 1/2". Quiet at idle. Not bad leaving my development. Loud when I punch it. I posted the 3/8" clip. I will try to get a recording of it now. It isn't as deep as the Thrush or as loud, but it is what I am going to stick with for now.

And if you go with the Thrush, don't wait forever to rejet. I believe running lean generated too much heat and burned out the fiberglass pretty quick. The paint also burned off at the header end. After the 'glass burned out, it was really loud. Still deep, but cop-attracting loud.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #61 - 06/28/12 at 06:28:13

I think ill try out the drill mod first and see how that goes! I wont mind digging into a re-jet but id rather wait to do somehting like that until I make other changes I have in mind such as putting a K&N air filter on and such. Wouldnt want to re-jet for the new muffler only to then re-jet for the filter change. Ive got BIG plans for the bike over the winter.  Cool

IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #62 - 06/28/12 at 07:42:24

Sounds like a reasonable plan...it costs nothing to drill 4 holes in the existing muffler.  Wink

Dave

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #63 - 06/28/12 at 13:21:56

Just to let you know, I added the sound clip of the HD muffler with a 1/2" hole in the baffle.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1151331237/3#3

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #64 - 07/06/12 at 05:32:02

So I drilled out the exhaust over the past weeknd. Def like the sound a lot more  Smiley eventually ill change out mufflers to get a really nice sound!

unfortunately I now have a really annoying and attention attracting pop after every shut down. I turned out the brass plug 2-1/4 turns which eliminated ALL riding pops even on hard decel but everytime i shut it off it sounds like i lit an M80!  Embarrassed   I dont know how to stop it id rather it pop while im driving then to pop when i pull into someones driveway.

ANY IDEAS? Undecided

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #65 - 07/06/12 at 05:46:07

It's normal to have a shutdown poof on these bikes.  It's do to the wasted spark ignition system.  With proper tuning of your carb it will be more of a poof instead of a bang though. Also note that with a more open exhaust your shutdown poof will be louder then the stock non-modified muffler as there is not as much to absorb the sound of it.  The main reason you really didn't hear it before you did the adjustment of the carb and the muffler drilling is because of 2 things, 1 they are set fairly lean from the factory and 2 the stock muffler is very effective at sound reduction to the point that it sounds more like a sewing machine  Huh

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #66 - 07/06/12 at 06:11:20

so theres no hope of getting rid of this obnoxious sound? what about with a new muffler?  Undecided  

Id rather a poof then this bang that i have now though. Its like a gun shot. Bike runs great and has zero back fire since i adjusted the mixture screw (it had a few pops on hard decel and shut down) but its like its saving all the back fires during the ride for one loud pop on shut down. More embarrassing then anything i guess. Embarrassed

IP Logged
86-Savage
YaBB Newbies

Ontario, Canada
Reply #67 - 07/06/12 at 06:38:16

At first I felt emberassed about the bang during shutdown then I had a bunch of hard core riders tell me that our bikes have a nick name out this way.  I thought it was funny and now look forward to the poof. I've noticed that if I don't shut it down right away the poof is very minimal. Oh yeah, they call our bikes " The Little Banger "  Cool

IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #68 - 07/06/12 at 06:51:46

HAHA "The Little Banger" interesting nick name.  Smiley  

So if i let it idle for a few before shut down that could help reduce the sound? Its not really a big deal to me but most people would think that sound is due to a bad problem with the bike. I hope the issue is settled when i put a new exhaust and other goodies on over the winter.

IP Logged
heroicseven

oops, I broke it.

San Diego
Reply #69 - 07/06/12 at 11:58:38

Ran, just let the clutch out a wee bit while the bike is in gear and idling when shutting down, and this alone will reduce your pow 90% of the time. Most of the time I dont really care if she pops but sometimes its just annoying Embarrassed. I.e late at night, in a parking garage, etc. Hope that helps.

00' raptor - supertrapp - 52.5 - 155 - half spacer - versaved
  IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #70 - 07/06/12 at 13:01:31

heroicseven wrote on 07/06/12 at 11:58:38:
Ran, just let the clutch out a wee bit while the bike is in gear and idling when shutting down, and this alone will reduce your pow 90% of the time. Most of the time I dont really care if she pops but sometimes its just annoying Embarrassed. I.e late at night, in a parking garage, etc. Hope that helps.

Thank you! Ill try it as soon as i get home and let ya know   and yeah late night pops from the exhaust could cause a little issue  Grin ! I was hoping once I adjusted the mixing screw the popping would stop maybe once i rejet it will straighten out.

IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #71 - 07/09/12 at 06:32:02

So I tried letting out the clutch a little bit on shut down and it still let out a mean bang!  :'( ! Maybe I didnt let it out enough? Im going to have to look into a new muffler i suppose!

IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #72 - 07/09/12 at 07:54:44

RanDaMan wrote on 07/06/12 at 06:51:46:
...Its not really a big deal to me but most people would think that sound is due to a bad problem with the bike...

Who cares what anyone else thinks, as long as you're happy with the bike.  Wink

Cheers,
Dave

IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #73 - 07/09/12 at 08:02:08

RanDaMan wrote on 07/09/12 at 06:32:02:
So I tried letting out the clutch a little bit on shut down and it still let out a mean bang!  :'( ! Maybe I didnt let it out enough? Im going to have to look into a new muffler i suppose!

A new muffler won't make the shutdown back-fire go away by itself.  It will backfire if it's running too lean or too rich.  So, it sounds like yours is about right or maybe a little lean on fuel-mix...so changing the muffler to something more free flow than the drilled stock exhaust will make it backfire more (not less) unless you also change to bigger carb jets. (As I understand it...someone correct me if I'm wrong.)  So, I'd wait until you get the muffler you like before you rejet, because you might have to do it again with a different muffler.

Check the thread in the tech section on the carb spacer mod...that eliminates the backfiring for most people, although I can't attest to that personally since I haven't done it.  Mine backfires occasionally on decel (depending on the weather...backfires more when it's really humid, which suggests mine is running a little rich) and sometimes on shutoff...the backfiring on decel can get a little annoying, but I can live with it...I don't care too much if mine backfires on shutoff.  Grin

Cheers,
Dave

IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #74 - 07/09/12 at 09:11:54

Dave Sisk wrote on 07/09/12 at 08:02:08:
RanDaMan wrote on 07/09/12 at 06:32:02:

"A new muffler won't make the shutdown back-fire go away by itself."

"the carb spacer mod...that eliminates the backfiring for most people"

"Mine backfires occasionally on decel ... and sometimes on shutoff...the backfiring on decel can get a little annoying, but I can live with it...I don't care too much if mine backfires on shutoff.  Grin

Cheers,
Dave

I Really appreciate the info Dave! A couple questions though!

(first quote)- So it is possible to completely rid the bike of the shutdown back fire?

(second) - I assume youre talking about the "The White Spacer Mod"? and eliminates the shut down backfire or operating backfires? Huh

(third) - Mine was backfiring on hard decel as well untill i adjusting the fuel mixter screw under the brass plug.(2-1/4 turns out) Now it has zero backfiring on decel or any other operating conditions but NEVER fails to let out a big bang on shut down.  Angry  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 08:26:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Louder exhaust sound

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.