Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Helmets save lives, the tractor won, I'm done (Read 390 times)
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Helmets save lives, the tractor won, I'm done
03/13/12 at 12:13:27

Well heck,

Two Friday nights ago a gigantic tractor took my butt OUT!

The tractor pulled out in front of me on a 70 mph road but I was anticipating it.  I was already doing on 55 becuase this was a bad intersection I was approaching.  I slowed down he then pulled off onto the right hand shoulder like he saw me and was getting over.  I looked into the oncoming lane to pass him clear out of the way as it was a HUGE sprayer tractor with dual 8 foot tall tires on the back.

The oncoming lane was clear so I rolled on it a bit and started around the tractor.  Unfortunately I made the mistake of assuming he saw me.  He apparently just had some strange plans to swing wide on his left turn.  As I was just about even with him he swung left instantly across our lane and into the oncoming lane and right into me.  BAM INSTANTLY and unexpected.

I didn't have much time at all to brake.  I hit HARD into one of those  huge back tires around 60mph.  

I then launched high into the air (thinking OMG THAT just happened, I am just trying to get home to my family, what the hell tractor man) and came down on my left shoulder and helmet.  I slid and rolled over a few time and came to a stop in an ant pile (Yes ants enjoyed feasting on my leg until the firemen got there to move me)!

As soon as I stopped rolling I reached up and felt my helmet and my chest and realized they seemed to be in one piece.  I knew I was alive and was very pleased to discover that.  

My gear saved my skin and my life for sure.  I have only mild road rash in a few spots mainly my knees as I was only wearing khakis.

My helmet has a nice crack down the side of it and some deep gouges from grinding across the pavement and rocks on the side of the road.

My right lower leg was smashed horribly bad though and I had to have it screwed back together and my knee reassembled in surgery.  Got a broken fibula and several broken bones in my right foot.  And Boy Howdy does that shoulder I landed on hurt worst of all, they say its not broken though.  

Well anyways sorry for the long story I tried to keep it short.  Moral of the story:
Never assume they saw you and ALWAYS wear your gear.

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Helmets save lives, the tractor won, I'm done
Reply #1 - 03/13/12 at 12:49:27

Every riders nitemare,.......glad you survived it all,.....and thanks for telling about it. Hope you make a fast and full recovery.
I keep telling me to ride defensively, but them deer don't cooperate well.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #2 - 03/13/12 at 13:09:49

OUCH!!!!  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

Glad to hear you came out ok, even though it will obviously take some recovery time.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #3 - 03/13/12 at 13:20:53

Wow man, I'm very glad you are "ok" and lived to tell the tale.  Get well and hopefully you will get back in the saddle soon.  Even if you never ride again, at least stick around here for some amusement!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 03/13/12 at 13:35:11

HOLY FARMING EQUIPMENT!

Glad you still got your bucket, even though it's a bit dented.

Heal up and get back to us.

WWW   IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #5 - 03/13/12 at 14:02:24

Glad you survived.
That's gonna leave a mark...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Retread

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 03/13/12 at 14:12:21

Glad your still kicking, get well soon.. Two rules, the other guy doesn't see you, he does see you and doesn't give a crap....

Used to look like a Greek God, now I look like a darned Greek!
  IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #7 - 03/13/12 at 14:32:25

+1 to wearing your gear.

Hope you recover swiftly.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #8 - 03/13/12 at 14:48:08

Sorry to hear about your accident. I've had those turkeys pull out in front of me too. I guess they are so used to driving those things around without any other vehicles in the field that they forget to look when they are on the road.
The tractor man is going to pay all your expenses of course?
Speedy recovery.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 03/13/12 at 14:50:29

TRactors are for plowing, we arent supposed to plow into them,,,
That is considered to be an abundant source of ouchies. You are sucking air & will heal IF you manage to get outta that hospital w/o any flesh eating bacteria munchin on your butt.. Watch the people who come in, ask them to wash their hands before they touch you.

MRSA has become a serious problem across the nation, I would want a bottle of colloidal silver to wipe any incisions with & to sniff droplets into my sinuses a few times a day.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bluesrockdoc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 03/13/12 at 15:10:06

Glad had your gear on. Good luck and heal fast!!!

IP Logged
Tonydtiger1971

Yet while we were
sinners Christ died
for us

Dawsonville, GA
Reply #11 - 03/13/12 at 15:46:46

Glad to hear you're ok considering what you hit.  Get well soon.

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God: For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Tonydtiger1971 rgiskardrentlav@yahoo.com   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 03/13/12 at 17:53:20

That's some hit you took...
Speedy healing... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #13 - 03/13/12 at 18:21:50

Sorry brother....

IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Reply #14 - 03/13/12 at 19:00:40

MrBrownTX..sorry to hear this happened to you.  We should all learn from his situation.  Be extremely careful when passing other cars.  They might do something like the tractor did in this case, and you'd have almost zero time to react.

I wish a speedy and TOTAL recovery to you man.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 02:18:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Helmets save lives, the tractor won, I'm done

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.