Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Running lean or too rich or dirty carbs???? (Read 159 times)
Msinger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Running lean or too rich or dirty carbs????
03/15/12 at 07:41:27

I just bought this bike, it was not winterized or kept on a maintainer. New battery & spark plug. I used a shot glass worth of seafoam in the tank. The brass plug that is on the carb covering adjustment screw has been removed wich makes me think the previous owner was attempting to adjust air/fuel ratio. Since I don't have a portable tach I set the idle by turning it down until it knocked/pinged then turned it up until it stopped making noise & just a hair more. Drove it for 60 miles ran great except for a backfire when I backed off the throttle and the exhaust pipe turned blue. I shut it off and it backfired in the muffler after the engine had stopped. Also when I rev it up and let off the throttle it produces a heavy gasoline odor. HELP!! Huh Planning on taking it for a 374 mile one way trip and I don't want to ruin the engine. Oh and I cleaned air filter with K&N cleaning kit, changed oil.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Running lean or too rich or dirty carbs????
Reply #1 - 03/15/12 at 08:16:26

Welcome
It takes a tank or two for seafoam to work, so be patient.
backfire on shutdown, turn the idle mixture a little richer (about an 1/8 turn) till the pow turns to a poof.
Heavy gas smell may be a dirty TEV.
hit the link in my sig and find TEV.

WWW   IP Logged
Msinger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/15/12 at 08:31:58

Thanks I will do that and post results when I get back from road test, need to go to town anyway.

IP Logged
Msinger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/15/12 at 20:46:51

Ok, I didn't actually get to take the bike out until today"honey do list" it did decrease the pow to a poof while letting off the throttle and no backfire after I shut it off. I read on another website that these run lean out of the factory and that if you take the white spacer out of the top of the carb it would completely stop all backfiring. Has anyone tried this and does it work?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 03/15/12 at 21:11:14

I read on another website that these run lean out of the factory
Older ones were jetted closer to right, EPA regs have caused the factory to lean them down,

and that if you take the white spacer out of the top of the carb it would completely stop all backfiring.

Wouldnt do that,, you can get washers that are the same diameter at the hardware store to play with, so you dont goober a stock part up. I goobered,, sanded it down to about 2/3rds stock,,
I wouldnt want all the grumbling & barking to stop. Rolling down thru the gears is a symphony to my ears, its not sharp & gunshot sounding, its a mellow tune,, with a constantly changing rhythm,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 03/15/12 at 21:15:04

Msinger wrote on 03/15/12 at 20:46:51:
Ok, I didn't actually get to take the bike out until today"honey do list" it did decrease the pow to a poof while letting off the throttle and no backfire after I shut it off. I read on another website that these run lean out of the factory and that if you take the white spacer out of the top of the carb it would completely stop all backfiring. Has anyone tried this and does it work?

Yeah it'll stop all the backfiring, but it's using a sledgehammer to do a tack hammers work.  You'll end up being way over rich and flooding at times.  Get a jet set from lancer and do it right.

WWW   IP Logged
Msinger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 03/16/12 at 00:04:22

Well my main concern was harming the engine but what I have gathered is that the backfiring (wich is now less) does not mean that there is something terribly wrong and if I can tolerate it, it is not worth the trouble. I was an auto mechanic for six years but this is my first time working on a bike. I have had three other bikes but fortunately they were maintained and serviced like they should have been before I bought them. This one on the other hand was owned by someone who bought a Harley and left this one sitting in the garage for who knows how long. It is a '99 with 6500 miles, it had the original battery, spark plug, air & oil filter and guessing from the smell the original gas LOL! Thanks for the help unless someone tells me different I will ride my Savage confidently Smiley

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #7 - 03/16/12 at 07:57:24

Msinger wrote on 03/16/12 at 00:04:22:
Well my main concern was harming the engine but what I have gathered is that the backfiring (wich is now less) does not mean that there is something terribly wrong and if I can tolerate it, it is not worth the trouble. I was an auto mechanic for six years but this is my first time working on a bike. I have had three other bikes but fortunately they were maintained and serviced like they should have been before I bought them. This one on the other hand was owned by someone who bought a Harley and left this one sitting in the garage for who knows how long. It is a '99 with 6500 miles, it had the original battery, spark plug, air & oil filter and guessing from the smell the original gas LOL! Thanks for the help unless someone tells me different I will ride my Savage confidently Smiley

In my opinion, if it's not gunshot blasts, you are ok but not ideal. Grumble pops on decel are music to my ears, and I'm glad they are there most of the time, coming home late at night is another story  Cool

One thing I would watch out on your bike is, if it was truly parked for a extended period of time and only has that many miles, would be the tires. If they are still the stock IRC's I would likely be gettting some new ones ASAP  Shocked Tire rot is a very real possibility for a bike of that age/miles. Otherwise enjoy it  Cool

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Cavie

My wife made me do
it

Port charlotte Fl
Reply #8 - 03/16/12 at 09:42:25

Msinger wrote on 03/16/12 at 00:04:22:

The backfire on the Savage is factory installed. You won't stop all of it. I got mine down to one pop between up gear shifts and a few on downsifting.

'05 Boulavard S40
'03 Volusia Intruder
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 03/16/12 at 11:21:33

I've had old bikes that have sat for a while, and I have found that the best thing you can do for them is RIDE them. Sounds like a lot of your issues are starting to go away with fresh gas and a little bit of sea-foam. That's a good sign. I'd say keep riding it, and put enough miles on to go through a tank or two of fresh gas at least. I would definitely do this for a few days before venturing too far from home.

I've had a great deal of help and wisdom from the folks on this site about setting up my carb to match my muffler and air filter; there are a lot of threads in the Tech section to give you some ideas about where to start, and where to go from there. Serowbot has a great one, and Lancer has a great deal of carb tuning experience as well. Look for their threads, and follow their lead.

You may want to get a cone air filter in order to really get the most out of your Jardine exhaust. You are definitely right to assume the Previous Owner has fiddled with the carb and left it outta whack... It would be good to go back to the factory settings if you can and start from there.

Good Luck!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 22:52:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Running lean or too rich or dirty carbs????

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.