Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
18" front wheel for Ryca? (Read 59 times)
beacon

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

18" front wheel for Ryca?
03/15/12 at 17:40:26

Has anyone tried using an 18" front wheel on a Ryca? If so:
1) how did it effect handling?
2) did you use the stock hub?
3) which rim did you use, and where did you get it and the spokes?

IP Logged
SinglesGoinSteady

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks like Bon
Scott!

From Seattle, now in Savannah.
Re: 18" front wheel for Ryca?
Reply #1 - 03/15/12 at 17:48:42

I'm going to keep a 19" in front on mine, but, my experience tells me the 19" will be a little heavier, a little slower turning.  The real key to turning performance will be from selecting the right tire, if quick turning is what you want.  A wide/square tire will oversteer or swing you way wide on tight turns as opposed to skinny round tires which will fall right over into a turn.  That said, I'm getting the big Dunlop K70s, which I don't think they make in an 18" front.  So make sure the tire you want is available in 18".

WWW   IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/15/12 at 18:25:55

I've got 18" vintage rims going on my RYCA inspired Roadster build (see link below) Haven't gotten the front one laced up, but spokes are available from Buchanan Spokes in CA. Basically, any 18" wheel rim with 36 spokes will work. The 36 spokes part is important; most are 40 spokes.

I got Akront shoulder rims; top of the line in the '70s. One was $60., the other $160. I guess it balanced out in the end...

Excel makes new rims that will work also. I looked into those, but wanted vintage for what I am doing. (I priced them at about $70 I think?)

It should be pretty easy if you want to do it; Personally I think the 19" rim looks weird on the RYCA bikes, but Singlesgoingsteady is right; The tires RYCA is using don't come in an 18" front. I ordered Kenda Challengers; very similar in make and price.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #3 - 03/16/12 at 09:30:20

I did an 18 on mine -- an aluminum 36 spoke one I got from eBay. I had it laced to the stock hub with stainless steel spokes and nickel nipples by Woody's Wheel Works for slightly less than Buchanan, even though the spokes were from Buchanan.

The half inch difference in radius between the 19 and 18 will help quicken the steering just a tad more. If you're used to cruisers, that can feel twitchy. If you're used to sportbikes, a Ryca modded bike will still feel sluggish.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 20:03:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 18" front wheel for Ryca?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.