Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Looking For Replacement Battery+Delimma (Read 208 times)
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Looking For Replacement Battery+Delimma
01/20/12 at 00:33:56

I'm a college student who takes advantage of some neighboring friends in a nearby apartment complex who own a garage. They generously allow me to keep myself and my roommate's bike in there for a low monthly fee to help pay the garage rent.

In December I left for winter break. I left my trusted friend and owner of the garage with the key to my bike. I told him, "Hey, if you get the urge to ride the beauty, go ahead, keep the battery charged, blow out the carbon, make sure the gas doesn't go bad." I handed over the key thinking I was doing a good thing for my little 2 wheeled lady.

Well my roommate left for break after me and they both took a turn on my bike before he left. He noticed that when my trusted friend would put my bike away, he had trouble finding the 'off' position and kept placing the key in the parking light position.

I live in Missouri, and it is indeed cold here, granted the average temp has been somewhere in the low to mid 30s. I get a message about 3 weeks into break, saying that my battery is completely dead, won't take a charge, shoulda put it on a tender, sorry bud. When I left it was in full operating condition. I'm just curious if semi-cold weather can cause a battery to go from working to flat out dead in a matter of a couple of weeks.

Fear not, I'm not charging the friend the replacement costs of the battery, as I'm unsure of its age, accidents happen, and he's doing me a favor with his cheap garage rates. However, I would like to discover what killed the battery, be it my over confidence that it didn't need a tender for 1 month of leave or if it was the accident of the care taker.

Finally, anyone know what is a good replacement battery? I would like a maintenance free so long as the cost difference isn't huge over an unsealed battery. I know it's pretty simple thing to find and is almost automated on most commercial sites, but I just wanted to insure there aren't certain brands/specs to stay away from.

Thanks in advance.

-Wake

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Re: Looking For Replacement Battery+Delimma
Reply #1 - 01/20/12 at 00:49:42

Big crank...

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #2 - 01/20/12 at 02:18:21

Dj12midnit wrote on 01/20/12 at 00:49:42:
Big crank...

+1

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 01/20/12 at 02:23:38

Forget about what killed the battery. Its possible it just died, its just as possible it was a victim of negligent volticide.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 01/20/12 at 07:31:54

I use an Odyssey and have no complaints whatsoever.  However, the Big Crank came on the scene shortly after I bought my Odyssey and everyone I talk to and everything I read says it's just as good and costs less.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 01/20/12 at 08:55:09

Yes, unless you're looking to strain your friendship... forgetaboutit.
age or accident, it don't matter it's dead.

BigCrank... you can stop worring about "break", it will hold it's charge for several months w/o charging.  However leaving it in park overnight will kill any battery.

Hmmm... sounds like a mod coming on.

WWW   IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #6 - 01/20/12 at 09:55:35

for reference:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1265490069

I have *two* big crank batteries in three bikes (i switched the savage to a smaller battery so i could hide it on the muffler support) and like 'em a lot.

I think current prices for big crank are around $70 +/- a few, before shipping charges.

EDIT: after re-reading that post i just linked, be sure to ignore pretty much anything ever said by bill67. his bike runs on hopes, dreams, and spite for anyone who doesn't use red oil  Undecided

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #7 - 01/20/12 at 19:02:13

I'm looking at articles on the new Shorai batteries. I have the lead acid battery, but the new batteries promise to lose around 1% per month instead of the 5% per week from the lead acid. They are very expensive, so far, but weigh less  and can be mounted about anywhere in any orientation.  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 01/20/12 at 21:46:15

Yeah. The Shorai is the new lithium bike battery.  The Odyssey and Big Crank are both AGM.  They are maintenance-free and can be mounted at various angles too.  However the lithium polymer is supposed to hold a charge when unused for much longer and are lighter weight.  I have not done a side by side comparison of the two technologies as they pertain to motor vehicles yet.  I would want to see the cranking amps on the lithium battery before investing in it.  It is intriguing though.  Most battery tech is moving in that direction, it seems.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #9 - 01/21/12 at 11:40:55

The main problem with ordering one replacement part is... well... if the UPS guy has to get out his truck and walk up to my doorstep ANYWAY....

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 01/21/12 at 12:27:06

I'd definitely be looking into a lithium ion if I needed a replacement but it's about twice the price of a Big Crank right now, so that would be a big part of the consideration for me.

SHORAI LFX Lithium-ion Powersports battery (LFX14L5-BS12)

As an afterthought, I'd also have to look into whether my Battery Tender Jr. is acceptable for it.  If not, I'd be looking at having to buy another charger too.  Just a few thoughts.

runrun

Thump thump

Erie, CO
Reply #11 - 01/23/12 at 06:45:38

Savage_Rob wrote on 01/21/12 at 12:27:06:
I'd definitely be looking into a lithium ion if I needed a replacement but it's about twice the price of a Big Crank right now, so that would be a big part of the consideration for me.

SHORAI LFX Lithium-ion Powersports battery (LFX14L5-BS12)

As an afterthought, I'd also have to look into whether my Battery Tender Jr. is acceptable for it.  If not, I'd be looking at having to buy another charger too.  Just a few thoughts.

Savage_Rob -- I'm sure you'd need a special charger for the Shorai.  I'm using an Anti Gravity 8-cell lithium ion in my Ryca, and its literature strongly warns against using any regular trickle charger.  AG's chargers are about $60, and the battery was $179.  Not cheap, but the battery is tiny and light:  about 4" x 2" x 3" and weighs less than 2 lbs.  It's specs are 300 pulse cranking amps and 240 cold cranking amps.  And Scott Schafer at AG is great to deal with.

Wake-51 -- a decent battery shouldn't have died in a month, so I'd guess it was faulty or that it was drained by being left in park, or both.  However, when you get a new battery it would be a good idea to see if you might have any parasitic drain on the battery even when the key is in the off position.  With no alarm, clock, computer memory, etc., I can't think of anything on the Savage that should be drawing on the battery when the ignition is off.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 01/23/12 at 07:22:46

I was pretty sure it would require a specific L-Ion charger.  Just thinking it through a bit.  My Odyssey is still doing very well.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:31:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Looking For Replacement Battery+Delimma

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.