Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Progressives,.. and a DIY bike lift... (Read 151 times)
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
New Progressives,.. and a DIY bike lift...
01/19/12 at 15:54:36

Well,.. I finally broke down, and built myself a bike lift... Scrap wood and screws, and $1 for a bit of carpet... Made mine 8 1/2" tall to account for my 12" shocks (works fine for Gerry's stock height bike, too)...  I added a little block brace to the bottom of the stand to make it super stable...
(and it really is... I forgot it, twice, and tried to lower the bike with it in place, and nearly herniated myself)...  Grin..
... and so, we tested it out today, and installed a pair of HD Progessive shocks, 11"... on Gerry's bike...
(he can give a report on how they work for him, once he's put a few miles on them, and got them dialed in)...

Anyway,.. here's a couple pics... Wink...

Love the lift,... easy as toast, to hoist a bike up by myself... Smiley...
PS... them's the old shocks, still on his bike... I shoulda' shot a pic with the new one's installed, but I forgot...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Re: New Progressives,.. and a DIY bike lift...
Reply #1 - 01/19/12 at 17:07:15

I saw a simpler one. A piece of 2x12 a couple of feet long. A pipe flange bolted toward one end. A three foot piece of pipe screwed into the flange. Some carpet over one edge of the board. With the pipe (now serving as a lever handle) facing upward, slide the board under the bike. Push the handle down all the way to the ground, steadying the bike as it lifts. The board will be tilted past vertical and the pipe will keep it from leaning further.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 01/19/12 at 19:35:17

MotoBuddha wrote on 01/19/12 at 17:07:15:
I saw a simpler one. A piece of 2x12 a couple of feet long. A pipe flange bolted toward one end. A three foot piece of pipe screwed into the flange. Some carpet over one edge of the board. With the pipe (now serving as a lever handle) facing upward, slide the board under the bike. Push the handle down all the way to the ground, steadying the bike as it lifts. The board will be tilted past vertical and the pipe will keep it from leaning further.

Very similar to mine.  Not my idea though.  I saw it somewhere else and did it.  Extremely simple and functional.  The one above in this thread looks like it's a higher lift though.

« Last Edit: 01/21/12 at 10:24:46 by Savage_Rob »  

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 01/21/12 at 10:24:01

Here's the thread from the Wayback Machine...

Rikko's Build Your Own Bike Lift/Stand

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #4 - 01/21/12 at 12:11:00

That thing's nice, can I have it?  Cheesy

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 01/21/12 at 14:40:04

Serowbot wrote on 01/19/12 at 15:54:36:
Well,.. I finally broke down, and built myself a bike lift... Scrap wood and screws, and $1 for a bit of carpet... Made mine 8 1/2" tall to account for my 12" shocks (works fine for Gerry's stock height bike, too)...  I added a little block brace to the bottom of the stand to make it super stable...
(and it really is... I forgot it, twice, and tried to lower the bike with it in place, and nearly herniated myself)...  Grin..
... and so, we tested it out today, and installed a pair of HD Progessive shocks, 11"... on Gerry's bike...
(he can give a report on how they work for him, once he's put a few miles on them, and got them dialed in)...

Anyway,.. here's a couple pics... Wink...
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt82/serowbot/stand004.jpg

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt82/serowbot/stand001.jpg

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt82/serowbot/stand003.jpg

Love the lift,... easy as toast, to hoist a bike up by myself... Smiley...
PS... them's the old shocks, still on his bike... I shoulda' shot a pic with the new one's installed, but I forgot...
Huh...

Your pipe needs to be twice as long as you got,And it will be a lot easier to lift.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 01/21/12 at 16:56:40

His bikes already 1/2 as heavy as stock,, he doesnt need the longer handle. That, & he aint an Ol Geezer,, YET.. his time's a comin',tho,,

I really like the design. Yes, it coulda been more elegant, but its so well done, its okay that you made a science project out of it,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Reply #7 - 01/21/12 at 20:16:59

Nice! And I didn't realize Gerry's a fellow TKat owner (I knew there was some reason I liked that guy). Which Progressives? How's he like 'em?

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #8 - 01/22/12 at 22:51:58

Good job Serowbot. Just figuring in my head, I think I can make one a little narrower with a single 2x4x8. I see you even sanded the edges down. I'm going to make one (finally) to remove my rear wheel and take to the shop to have a tire mounted. They do off bike changes for $20 less. Just printed your photo.   Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:22:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Progressives,.. and a DIY bike lift...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.