Send Topic Print
Big Crank Battery (Read 251 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Big Crank Battery
02/06/10 at 13:01:08

Is there any real reason not to get a big crank battery? Some people have stated that the terminals are a problem . What exactly do you have to do to make it fit ? Thanks.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Big Crank Battery
Reply #1 - 02/06/10 at 13:11:05

They don't seem to last any longer than the stock battery,I have an 2006 with the stock battery,And it went almost 3 months without charging it and the bike started right up.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 02/06/10 at 13:42:53

Checking & adjusting the H2O level in the battery is a major hassle, IMO. Big Crank? No water level..No water even,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #3 - 02/06/10 at 14:33:26

terminals were not a problem on mine.  I ordered it here:

http://www.bigcrank.com/suzuki-l650-savage-all-battery/ETX-15L.html

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #4 - 02/06/10 at 17:30:15

I have one. I want to swap it out for one of the smaller batteries that were posted here awhile back (to remove it from the stock area). If someone is interested, PM me.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #5 - 02/06/10 at 19:09:15

Oh - As far as the terminals not fitting properly... All I did for mine was flatten them out on top of the big crank. Still works fine, and the stock positive cover still fits over it easily.

And you can ditch the puke tube from the stock battery. Wink

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #6 - 02/07/10 at 05:05:06

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/06/10 at 13:42:53:
Checking & adjusting the H2O level in the battery is a major hassle, IMO. Big Crank? No water level..No water even,

While I agree,...checking liquid level is a pita on these bikes, if the float charging voltage is held to 13.4 max, (like all late model float chargers) these batteries use very little water,......check maybe once a year. The biggest water useage usually comes from letting a battery get run down, then charging at 14+ volts that come from anything but a single stage float charger, or even the bike's own charging system.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #7 - 02/07/10 at 20:06:34

Routy ,does a deltran battery tender junior work good with a big crank,and how often would you use it? Thanks

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 02/07/10 at 22:48:07

i bought the big crank because of reviews claiming that the battery has lasted upwards of nine years while being left out in the cold all winter every winter and with no charging. My bike's been outside through all this winter and it fires up every time without having to charge it.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #9 - 02/07/10 at 23:40:40

I don't know of a better maintainer/charger then the battery tenders. They will charge a battery at normal charging voltages, then switch into a float/maintain mode, which will not hurt a battery, and can be left connected all the time. It should work fine w/ the Big Crank AGM, or any other lead acid battery. How often ?? You can leave it connected all the time, but the main thing is to keep any battery as near full charge as possible at all times. The closer a battery stays to full charge, the less it will internally sulfate, which will shorten its life.

For my bike, because its conveinent, I connect a float charger anytime I won't be riding it for a couple weeks or more. I have had batteries last 10+ years, just by keeping them fully charged on a maintainer/float charger. Others experiences may differ, but the experts will tell you the importance of keeping a battery fully charged, one way or another.

rl153 wrote on 02/07/10 at 20:06:34:
Routy ,does a deltran battery tender junior work good with a big crank,and how often would you use it? Thanks

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 02/08/10 at 07:11:37

A battery tender works like the alternator/ voltage regulator setup. No big mystery why a battery would last longer on a tender.

For the hairsplitters, one that works according to the advertisement.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LazyLemming
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 02/08/10 at 13:46:08

I had no major issues getting the terminals to fit on the big crank.  They were awkward and required some wiggling, but did not require the slightest bit of modification.    She's started up great even on 40 degree mornings after sitting all weekend.

IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #12 - 02/08/10 at 13:48:30

all you have to do is flatten the terminals out.  I didn't bend mine all the way and the current burned lines into the top of the terminals but they're still solid.

I've left mine uncharged for months on end and after 20 minutes on the charger I bought from Big Crank it's full on 12.98 volts.

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 02/08/10 at 14:07:05

I've left my stock battery for months and it still turn the engine over fast without charging the battery.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:22:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Big Crank Battery

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.