Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Poll Poll
Question: Side Stand Oil Method -- do you or don't you?

Yep, I do it on the sidestand
Nope, I balance it vertical using .....
.... my manservant, Emanuel Dexterity
.... a friend, buxom female preferably
.... a brick, a block of wood, other thick item
.... a stick *(Sluggo can explain it)
Remove timing port, fill till it comes out (V1)
.... I don't ever have to check it (Bill)

« Last Modified by: verslagen1 on: 07/31/11 at 20:17:02 »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Send Topic Print
side stand oil method (Read 1895 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: side stand oil method
Reply #30 - 08/01/11 at 10:37:14

No blowby, no engine wear,No dirty oil Cool

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #31 - 08/01/11 at 13:23:02

Man, if my engine wasn't messed up, and I trusted a short road trip, I'd ride down by Bill67 and FORCE him to ride with me. He is only about 50 miles from me.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #32 - 08/01/11 at 13:28:35

If you ever do...  make him go all the way around the block... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #33 - 08/01/11 at 13:43:54

Oh no, no body's con in me in to that trip.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #34 - 08/01/11 at 14:17:16

Worse yet, get a short movie of him sitting on his bike with it idling .....

Grin

ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky .......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #35 - 08/01/11 at 15:15:30

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/01/11 at 14:17:16:

Worse yet, get a short movie of him sitting on his bike with it idling .....

Grin

ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky ticky .......

OH the Horror   Shocked

clacky clacky clacky clacky clacky clacky clacky clacky clacky clacky clacky clacky clacky clacky clacky clacky clacky clacky clacky clacky clacky clacky clacky clacky clacky clacky clacky clacky clacky clacky clacky clacky clacky clacky clacky clacky clacky clacky clacky clacky .......

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #36 - 08/01/11 at 15:18:33

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/01/11 at 09:55:04:
Yep, especially them folks with syn oils that are good for 3-4 times the mileage they actually put on the bike between changes.

Back in school we had to do some sort of real world study on powerplants as a requirement for an A&P.  The team I was on chose to study how long the oil would last compared to the length of time an engine was run each time between cooldowns.  

To cut to the chase, if an engine is in good shape (meaning not much blow-by), and it ran for about 20-30 minutes AFTER it warmed up all the way (to boil off the goop from the condensation created during startup), the oil would last for WAY beyond the manufacturer’s (both oil and engine) recommendations.  This would be even more true for motorcycle/automotive engines because they are under much less thermal stress than air-cooled aircraft motors.

If you yahoo search (please not google) the subject, you can find lots of chemical engineers in forums making the same point – changing your oil every 3,000 miles is just plain wasteful.  Some of them say they change their oil every 10,000 miles or so.

« Last Edit: 08/02/11 at 06:07:04 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #37 - 08/01/11 at 15:53:41

When I was in high school,A buddy of mines dad didn't believe in changing oil he just kept adding if and when it needed it, He was a farmer and had tractors and other farm machinery that he never changed the oil in.That was back in the 50's.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #38 - 08/01/11 at 16:30:43

How many bikes here are spittin oil on the sidestand method ? I never heard of it till Versal said his does, only because its a little loose in the top end I'd guess??
I know mine sure don't. I checked it this morning before starting.....it was at low line. After 25 miles of 40-50 very wine-dy roads, I took a break........back in the woods by a stream, and just happened to notice the oil level was at the hi line,........surprised me it changed that much. And never any sign of spittin oil.
Anyway, if I even had a hint of my bike spittin oil, I would drop the SS method in a heart beat. But I thought it was determined a long time ago that the SS levels don't hurt a thing. And normally, I don't believe it does, or no one would do it.

Now, why did I say all that ? I'm gonna do what I do anyway, and so are you all !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #39 - 08/01/11 at 16:54:42

verslagen1 wrote on 07/31/11 at 20:18:27:
I can not go with high oil levels, the super motox course I take (aka interstate 5) causes the oil to spit out the breather.

If all the roads I take were as good as the dragon or I drove around like bill... but I don't, I tell you I have seen zero g's.  and oil don't stay put that way.

WWW   IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #40 - 08/01/11 at 23:16:48

Sidestand method might not be working for me. Oil isn't visible in the window anymore. It moved during the 1st ride after the change (didn't change the filter), but hasn't moved since. Currently it's just below the window when on the sidestand.

I'll have to check the drain tube (stock airbox) for oil.

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #41 - 08/02/11 at 12:36:02

Many engines will use oil under excessive amounts of deceleration,...when manifold vacuum is at its highest, and my bike sees more of that than most I would guess,...because there ain't a flat spot in these hills here. So it seems I would experience SS method oil consumption if anyone would,......but I just don't see any at all.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #42 - 08/02/11 at 12:47:25

My bike doesn't hardly use any oil,I never had a bike that did,I think the ones that use oil are revving a lot of rpm,And a Big single is a motor you shouldn't rev.You can tell by the way a motor feels if it likes to rev are not.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #43 - 08/02/11 at 13:21:58

bill67 wrote on 08/02/11 at 12:47:25:
My bike doesn't hardly use any oil,I never had a bike that did,I think the ones that use oil are revving a lot of rpm,And a Big single is a motor you shouldn't rev.You can tell by the way a motor feels if it likes to rev are not.

How does it feel if it likes to rev?

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #44 - 08/02/11 at 14:16:40

I use KLOTZ motor oil. I DRINK IT for breakfast, lunch and dinner BY THE BARREL. When I got my bike, I drained that black crap that Americans call engine oil and BURNED it in a fire for heat! All red communist KLUTZ oil OUT LUBES the competition. I check my oil level bidaily even when I don't ride the bike for weeks! I have been going 20,000 miles without an oil change and my KOLTZ engine oil is still BLOOD RED!!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 01:25:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › side stand oil method

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.